Horrible KProbe scan, but disc can be read back w/o problem

Hi :wink:

A few days ago I made backup of a movie for my son. For change I opened a new 5-pack box of Fujifilm DVD-R´s with mediacode; TYG02. Burned the first disc on NEC 3500 with Nero Express 6.3.1.25 at 12x speed.
Short after I run a KProbe scan of the disc and discovered a very ugly scan. Same as in pic 1 below.
Okay, maybe 12x is too fast for this type of media, was my first thought and I marked the disc as a “coaster”. Other burns that evening were at 8x speed.

Today I made new backups of my movie collection. Just out of curiousity I popped the “coaster” disc into one of my standalone players. Skipped the chapters to near the end of disc, and played up the movie.
To my surprise there wasn´t any skipping or other distortions… Everything played back perfect, including all the 150 names at “the end”.
Tested in my other standalone and my PS2, with same good result.
Strange, don´t you think so?

I rerun the KProbe test today. Below I also post the results from Nero CD/DVD Speed tranfer rate test and a Scandisc test.

Now I like to hear your experiences of bad KProbe scans (i.e. bad burns) and “good” playability.

Note. Right now I can´t upload anything… attachments not working.
Okay, I will upload pics to my webpage.

Pic 1. KProbe scan.

Pic 2. Speed test with Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Pic 3. And finally a ScanDisc test in Nero CD/DVD Speed

It has to be one of two things. Either there is a problem with your Liteon scanning or there is a problem with your NEC burning. As nothing you are doing is out of the ordinary (assuming NEC firmware is not hacked) the only way to resolve this is to get someone else with a different Liteon to test your burns and then get someone with an NEC to burn one of your discs and send it back to you to scan it. I know I have had no problem with my 3500 and TY G02s at 8X, scanning on my 812S. Good luck.

Error scan looks consistant with what I call “tracking error”. this is something that can come and go each time you re-mount the disc, or even just re-scanning. Changing scan speeds can also change it. It’s most likely due to some imperfection in the disc, or a flakey reading drive. .

Also keep in mind that in CDSpeed scandisc, the speed is not locked. If you can duplicate the Kprobe scan, try running CDSpeed transfer rate test in the 832 without ejecting the disc between tests.

Error scan looks consistant with what I call “tracking error”. this is something that can come and go each time you re-mount the disc, or even just re-scanning. Changing scan speeds can also change it. It’s most likely due to some imperfection in the disc, or a flakey reading drive. .

rdgrimes, can heat be a factor ie: a few weeks ago i burned a disc and scaned it staight away and got an avg scan with errors, after ejecting the disc i noticed it was hotter than usual so later i scaned it again and it was a lot better with no errors.

can heat be a factor ie

Generally, yes, heat = higher error rates.

Go to “Re: ND-3500 burn speed and quality tests” forum, my results are similiar. My disc quality tests are terrible but transfer rate and scandisc are terrific. The discs play fine on the standalones, not a skip or stutter! It must just be an anomoly. But it sure makes me crazy! :rolleyes: