Hooking up a cable box to a dvd and hdtv (Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK)

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I recently purchased a Sharp HDTV. I had to go to the local cable company for a new cable box to accomodate the Sharp HDTV. I was given a box that didn’t have an RFIN or RFOUT jack. It requires that the cable signal coming in be hooked into the cable box. My problem is that I don’t have two outputs to send the video out to both the TV and the DVD player. I can hook up the DVD player to the TV and get DVDs and tapes to play, but I can’t record from the box. The cable company gave me the 5-cable setup for sending the output of the box to the TV and that uses up the jacks available for output signals. There is an extra video jack, but no extra audio jacks. Can I use a signal splitter to split the audio so as to send the audio to both the TV and the DVD player? I’m at a loss here and would appreciate any and all answers. My DVD player is a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V and the cable box is a Motorola DCT 6412 III.

You can use a Y cable, one for the left and one for the right audio. My HD TV has a built in QAM tuner and a cable card slot. I do not use as cable box at all. I am sure that your cable box connects to the TV with a regular cable. You can use a splitter and run one cable to the TV and the other to the DVD player.

Thanks for the information. I kind of felt I had to split the signals somehow. I’m getting too old for this stuff.