Homemade weapon - A Potato Canon!

vbimport

I was reading Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich and one of the characters was attacking people with a potato cannon and other edible/inedible items. I thought this was a joke but I Googled it and it’s real (PVC pipe, a potato, hairspray for a propellant and a lighter to ignite). I thought I had an enriching childhood growing up in New York but this escaped me.

With all the violence in the world, we do not need more weapons and I’m not advocating a Living Room discussion on gun control or the right to bear arms. But, I did think a potato cannon is fascinating and might be of interest to others, especially since this information is out there. I hope this post is not viewed in poor taste.

The link is for one of the hits and it has excellent photographs, a legal disclaimer and a common sense response from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

http://potatocannon.nodice.org/index.html

Had a couple of mates who made one of these a while back, apparently wart freezing spray makes a much better fuel than hairspray.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for the consequences of taking this advice! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ditto on the disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for the consequences of taking this advice!

Jeremy Clarkson made one of these about 9 years ago on his short lived chat show. He also used hair spray as the fuel, but had a glass spaghetti jar for the barrel. A glass barrel would allow you to see what happens but the additional risk should be obvious.

My disclaimer -
Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows?

Looks fun but the way you hold it…you could be singing soprano the rest of your life.

There are potato cannons that are much more extreme out there. I made several when I was younger, including one that ran off a chevy beretta coil (cause they are small and I had one), a spark plug and wire, A momentary contact switch and butane (like you use to refill lighters). There are plans to build them and extreme videos all over the net.

This one is pretty interesting.

I had a friend that built one that shot coke cans (full ones).

Hows this for a home made gun though.
http://www.gausspistol.com/

Caution: A well built potato gun will shoot a potato ~ 1/2 mile. Trust me.:wink:

Accuracy is not an option though.:disagree:

Hmm…the one my mates made really wasn’t to be held. According to the site that they followed it was likely to break both arms if used like that…

It probably safer if you don’t hand hold it to, lol. I had the spark plug blow out of one of mine at high velocity. I have also hear of the back endcap blowing off with a lot of force and or tubes exploding with more extreme designs (and more dangerous fuels like injected gasoline or propane). I have seen plenty of designs that seem safe to hand hold too though (usually lower power ones will a smaller projectile).

[B]Another potato gun Thread[/B] :bigsmile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f1/potato-guns-214010/

:flower:

[QUOTE=diane7;2100197][B]Another potato gun Thread[/B] :bigsmile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f1/potato-guns-214010/

:flower:[/QUOTE]

LOL, I remember that thread now!

“Weapons of Mash Destruction” :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2100213]LOL, I remember that thread now!

“Weapons of Mash Destruction” :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I remember that thread, now, too! I remember thinking “How crazy are these people?”

Now I think “Wow! I wonder if I can build one…” :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2100225]
Now I think “Wow! I wonder if I can build one…” :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Uh-oh…everybody DUCK!!! :bigsmile:

not too hard. i remember about 15 years ago my neighbor taught me how to make one. :slight_smile:

Just jam some potatoes up someone`s Exshust pipe and Run :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2100225]I remember that thread, now, too! I remember thinking “How crazy are these people?”

Now I think “Wow! I wonder if I can build one…” :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

and now its time for the rest of us to wonder, “How crazy is Albert?”:bigsmile:

Yo-

I can just see Albert and Lin building a [I]Princo[/I] Cannon-eh!!

Out here in Idaho, we all pack potato canons… WE use propane…

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2100825]Out here in Idaho, we all pack potato canons… WE use propane…[/QUOTE]

Of course y’all do Rob, y’all have a larger ammo stash.:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=vroom;2100288]and now its time for the rest of us to wonder, “How crazy is Albert?”:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
sarcasm ha ha ha. Very funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

/me grabs the Princo cannon and aims at vroom’s computer :bigsmile: