Homemade dvd's do they have a region code?

vbimport

I recorded my sisters communion then i transfered the video from the camera into windows movie maker.

Now i got the movie done and i want to burn it.

I am in america(region1) but a copy of this will be going into poland (region 2).

Is my dvd region free? Or do i have to burn it using some special settings?

Please help, thanks.

No, there are no region codes on home made dvds.

There are different formats for dvds though. In the US, we use what is called NTSC. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL. There are differences in resolution and frame rate.

Many PAL dvd players can handle NTSC made dvds ok, some cannot. After a quick look at Wikipedia, it seems that Poland uses PAL video standards. Your Polish friends will have to get a dvd player that can handle NTSC, or you will have to reencode to fit PAL standards. I can help with that (possibly) if you wish to try to reencode.

Yea i’d like to re-encode.

I can get any programs and i have the full nero 7 suite. If that helps any.

From your message, you now have wmv video. That should play on their computer with no problems using Windows Media Player or VLC. You can burn it straight to disk as data (not as a dvd video) and send it to them.

The problems occur when you try to go to dvd video format, and have it play on a stand alone dvd player. For that you need to have it in PAL dvd standards, which are 720 x 576 and 25fps. It would be preferable to go straight from the camera to the PAL dvd if possible, but you can also convert the wmv to PAL dvd.

Nero Vision can do this. I’m not a fan of Nero for conversion, but since you already own it, you can try it first. Nero Vision has an option to import (capture) from the camera, as well as import the .wmv.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2088878]From your message, you now have wmv video. That should play on their computer with no problems using Windows Media Player or VLC. You can burn it straight to disk as data (not as a dvd video) and send it to them.

The problems occur when you try to go to dvd video format, and have it play on a stand alone dvd player. For that you need to have it in PAL dvd standards, which are 720 x 576 and 25fps. It would be preferable to go straight from the camera to the PAL dvd if possible, but you can also convert the wmv to PAL dvd.

Nero Vision can do this. I’m not a fan of Nero for conversion, but since you already own it, you can try it first. Nero Vision has an option to import (capture) from the camera, as well as import the .wmv.[/QUOTE]

i’ll try with nero.

If you don’t like it what else do you recommend?

I’d rather keep it as a standalone playable dvd since it’s going to my grama’s and they are not technically inclined at all.

ConvertXtoDVD is a commercial program that is recommended around here quite often for this type of conversion.

I would probably try to use FAVC first though. It is a free conversion program that uses a high quality mpeg2 encoder called HC. You’ll need to install AviSynth and Net 2.0 if you don’t already have them, but they are free and there are direct links to them at the FAVC home page.
http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

Another option is DVDFlick. http://www.dvdflick.net/ Also free.

Whichever one you use, just make sure to set the output to PAL standards when you convert. Let us know how it goes.

okay, so i let the sucker re-encode and left to watch tv.

I finished my movie and the re-encoding was done.

This program came with K-Lite Codec Pack. The Pal light is on so it was done successfully?

How do i burn it now so it’ll play in a Pal Dvd Player?

If you have a Video_TS folder that contains your vob, ifo and bup files as output from Nero Vision, then you can burn to disk as DVD-Video using Nero.

Gspot is showing that your video is indeed in PAL format, and is mpeg2 in vob container files (this is good).

You can use either Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express to burn the files. Choose New Compilation in Nero Burning Rom (if it doesn’t come up automatically), then DVD-Video. In Nero Express choose Videos/Pictures then DVD Video Files.

Verbatim is a very good choice for dvd media. I’d burn their 16x media at either 8x or 12x, not full speed.