Home networking over power lines

vbimport

I have a modem-router with 4 outlets. Two outlets are transmitting internet signals over ethernet cables to 2 PCs. One outlet transmits digital TV signals over power line using a pair of Devolo devices. Now I wish to use the remaining outlet to transmit internet signals over power line to another PC placed in another part of the house. A friend of mine told me that if I use a pair of devices from a different manufacturer it will work otherwise the two signals will get mixed up. He advised me to use Topcom devices. I assume the transmitting and receiving devices from different manufacturers use different end-to-end protocols so they recognize the data coming from its partner device. Is this correct? I invite people with experience in this area to advise. Thanks a lot.

Are you not able to use wireless setup in your home setting??

I have the D-Link Powerline HD Starter kit and it works great. It works just like the computer/XBox 360 is hooked up to router using ethernet cable. If this what you want I would get the NetGear Poweline Kit that supports 200Mbps or higher. Or get simalar Powerline kit as they all work the same and much better than wireless connection

Not to mention when you setup power line networking make sure your security is good and that others can simply hook their own power device on the power line of which your getting your power from your local power substation and use your internet for their own purpose. So if you thinking of using power line networking you should get some book about how to setup power line networking and how to keep them secure for your use and not others…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2541005]Are you not able to use wireless setup in your home setting??[/QUOTE]
Yes I can. In fact I am using wireless for my laptops… But the digital TV broadcast and the second connection that I intend to establish are for signals that must never be never interrupted.

[QUOTE=AGJ;2541010]I have the D-Link Powerline HD Starter kit and it works great. It works just like the computer/XBox 360 is hooked up to router using ethernet cable. If this what you want I would get the NetGear Poweline Kit that supports 200Mbps or higher. Or get simalar Powerline kit as they all work the same and much better than wireless connection[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestions. The main problem is to have 2 pairs of transmitting devices on the power line circuit with each pair talking to each other. A typical network issue which requires that each device recognizes the data packet addressed to it and receives the packet in the correct sequence. Normally it should work, but before investing anything I wish to be sure that i will work flawlessly.

[QUOTE=hwbee;2540946]A friend of mine told me that if I use a pair of devices from a different manufacturer it will work otherwise the two signals will get mixed up.[/QUOTE] To my knowledge: Incorrect. Both devices have a “secret handshake”, meaning they can only communicate with each other.

In theory you can connect thousands of them in a single home. What they all do however is transmit certain data of a power line. There more of these transmissions, the busier (thus slower). Keep in mind these things are not very fast compared to normal network infrastructure components.

Best usage is one close to your first part of the network (for instance, downstairs, connected to the modem or switch) and one close to your second part of the network (for instance, upstairs, connected to a single switch). This way you distribute your network load a lot.

Personally i’m still a bit paranoia about these things, since you are using the power lines for something different than they were intended to. No matter how much certification and quality assurance these devices have, they still do “things” that the power lines were never designed for.

Devices which use the HomePlug AV standard are supposed to be interoperable, the “secret-handshake” between devices is just an encryption key which should be listed on the device and can be changed by the user. If the devices have the HomePlug certification you should be able to mix and match. There are competing standards like G.hn which don’t work with HomePlug AV.