Home movie problems DVD+RW

vbimport

Don’t know if this is the right forum for this question? I have burned some old home movies onto a DVD+RW. it works great in all my home dvd players but will NOT work in my PC. I want to edit them on my pc. I boughton movies that work great on my pc but not the ones i burned myself. I have finalized the when i was done also. Is there a trick to get them to work on a PC? Hopefully someone out there can help me.

There are people who may give you a better technical answer on this one but if all else failed in this case, I would copy the movies from the dvd-rw to your hard drive and then edit them…you can then re-burn them to a new disk. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

I have burned some old home movies onto a DVD+RW. it works great in all my home dvd players but will NOT work in my PC
Do you mean your PC will not read the discs at all ?

Yes my PC won’t read them at all. If i go to my computer it dosen’t show a disc in the drive, and if i click on it it say to insert a disc.
thanks again

How old is your PC - can it read +RW media?

Have you tried the discs in another PC - perhaps your PC just doesn’t like this media when its burnt on another writer :confused:

The optical drives in your computer are which ones exactly?

I really don’t know what the optical drives are or how to find out what thet are. :bow:

You could use tools like Nero Infotool, DVDInfoPro, Everest or DISCINFO to find that out.

I really don’t know what the optical drives are or how to find out what thet are.
If your using XP either try one of the progs listed by chef or try clicking:-

Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab / Device Manager / The + next to DVD/CD Rom Drives

This should then list the names of your drives

Or run msinfo32 from the commandline…

ok this is what i found
combi rw16x10/dvd
HL-DT-ST CD-RWGCE-8320B

HOPE THIS HELPS?

MOJET1
When you say your pc neither reads nor sees your disc, does that mean you did burn it using a DVD Home recorder?
If so, what recording format did you use?

Assuming so, the disc was “supposed” to work in your pc, but to edit it you need to use the VR format (and don’t know if it works with +RW) and a editing package that supports importing the files and editing MPEG2 files.

By the specs of your combi its possible it doesn’t support +R(RW) discs and either it is possible you update the firmware and the new version does, or you can have a “stupid” dirve as one I’ve got (made by Samsung) that belongs to the only series Samsung didn’t provide a firmware to support +R(RW).

In this case, the only solution (and here I admit you did burn the disc in another pc) is that you change the bitsetting, and your drive can see the disc as a DVD-ROM.
This depends on the recording drive model/firmware and on the software you use to burn the disc.

Good luck