Home entertainment spending suffers biggest drop in a decade

I just posted the article Home entertainment spending suffers biggest drop in a decade.

Not even the Dark Knight could come to the industry’s rescue last year, with US consumer spending on DVD/Blu-ray movies falling 5.7 percent to $21.7 billion.Booming revenues from Blu-ray sales and…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15425-Home-entertainment-spending-suffers-biggest-drop-in-a-decade.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15425-Home-entertainment-spending-suffers-biggest-drop-in-a-decade.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

People have probably caught up with their movie catalogs. Sort of like what happened to CD’s in the 90’s. You have a huge spike up while people are rebuy their old movies. Then it platueu’s when people have caught up. A 2nd theory could be the they’res some really low prices on dvd’s these days, especially on tv box sets and what not, so if they’re charging less, I suppose that would drive down overall profits.

Could it be that the “booming” Blu-ray sales are just cannablising DVD? How in the heck is Blu-ray supposed to lift optical sales overall?

You have two formats doing basically the same thing now! You even have a Blu-ray player that touts they can upscale your exisiting library to “Near HD quality” so you don’t have to re-buy your collection. You also have Upscaling DVD players that kick ass too.

This is the situation we have now- Blu-ray vs DVD a new “format war”. When HD DVD died everyone thought BR would fly off the shelves…Ooops!

Some folks will get the Dark Knight on DVD and some will get it on Blu-ray. But it is still the same freakin movie!!!

I would be curious what would happen at the consumer level if suddenly, no DVDs were available.

" I would be curious what would happen at the consumer level if suddenly, no DVDs were available."

They would buy the PS3 or a Blu-Ray player and watch movie on Blu-Ray, but since that scenario cannot happen, the transition will be at the same pace DVD took over VHS most likely, or slightly slower.

Streaming is for the minority right now. We need next generation to completely take over if we want to see online content become the main market place for movies. The majority of current 25+ folks still feel attached to their physical content, be it DVD or Blu-Ray, or even music CDs.

Or it could be even something completely unforseen, like everyone going back to the theaters and dropping the whole “home movie entertainment” stuff.

We can’t blame people for wanting to be able to feel with their hands whatever they buy. I mean… even a theater ticket you can feel it…

"Some folks will get the Dark Knight on DVD and some will get it on Blu-ray. But it is still the same freakin movie!!!"
You are forgetting about all of those underwhelming extras that you get with Blu-ray, like the running commentary from the Best Boy and the Key Grip.

Oh yeah My bad!! I could chat with the stars if I got BR version. Damn!!

I think you are correct- about the older folks wanting that disc, as this is the way I feel about really good films. I want that disc. Having said that, I am thankful that I “only” paid 4.99 to watch the download version of Hancock on PPV from Dish- that movie SUCKED!! But I was bored, there was nothing on my DVR and I can’t watch TV live due to all the freakin commercials. So, I thought what the heck I’ll try this on demand service. It was great. Real convenient.

Hey, I am one of those “older folks”. I prefer downloading movies myself. When I do so, I get to hold the credit card bill or the cable bill in my hands, later on.

I don’t buy many DVDs anymore. At about 650 DVDs, I think I’ve “caught up”. Now I download what I want. Did I mention I have a torrent program installed on my PC? Well, I do.

Yea I agree that DVD has pretty much peaked since everyone have their library for most part in DVD now. However, I think the reason for the decline this year in DVD is reflected in the downloads. Downloads or On Demand services are putting a dent in the DVD sales and will continue to do so as more and more go that route in the future.