Home copying may be a serious threat

I just posted the article Home copying may be a serious threat.

SUNNYVALE, Calif.–(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)–April 5, 2000-- The total estimated value of unauthorized copies of PC application software CD-ROMs among consumer households is estimated to approach $675…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/376-Home-copying-may-be-a-serious-threat.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/376-Home-copying-may-be-a-serious-threat.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yes, what can I say about this?
Like most of the people who surf at this site I help creating this lost of income!
So, what can I say? Sorry?
(anybody in for some copied music, apps or games?!?)
L8rz…!

I think this report is illusory for three reasons:

1. many people with copies wouldn’t have had the money to buy it anyways.
  2. cheap or free software helps propell hardware sales, which results in a larger industry and feeds back into increased software sales eventually.
  3. what about all those, who familiarized themselves with copied software and later purchased it because of that familiarity. (the original idea behind academic versions of software)

Perhaps they hope to make recorders illegal
We will have to manufacture them in Joe’s garage then

What are obviously “padded” stats don’nt reflect the fact that a vast majority of “posted” titles are’nt even available to the common consumer at his local Best Buy.
I could’nt even begin to count the number of titles I never knew existed until I found the Warez market. How would someone “buy” a title like Nero or hundreds of other if they never knew of them. I myself, and I hear it all the time of people trying the warez version and going out to buy it.

Perhaps we should get all the Warez sites (ok, some) to post a poll to get a real reflection of Warez impact.

i wish that they would just go back to book protection, you know… word three, page four. its a pain, but it makes the cd so easy to copy. it is true that if the cd is hard to copy most people will go out and buy it, but almost everyone i know would return a crappy game and that’s something that the report forgets to mention. macrovision has its blinders on again.

All of these people have copiers, but if u only talk 2 a few of them about it, u will realise instantly that most of them use the software that comes with their writer, and have absolutely no idea how to copy games with errors (like PSX games) or crack games if they need it, etc. etc.

Hey!

If any of the software titles I’ve got that are (ahem) a little questionable were worth buying, I would have! The fact of the matter is that most software released these days is no more than a glorified beta test version. As soon as something is released, there’s about a billion fixes for it on the company’s website.

Now I don’t know about anyone else, but if I’m expected to beta-test software for a company (yeah, YOU Micro$oft) then I sure ain’t gonna pay for the privilage!

When companies start giving a sh*t about the quality of the software they release, and set it at a reasonable price (£1000+ for Office 97?), THEN we might all consider buying it. Until then, BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN (someone stop me) BURN BURN!

Cherrio!

HeLLHouND

I agreem, most people will happily copy music and un-protected apps, but when faced with any serious protection will simply go and buy the real thing. It is only a few hardcore pirates that will put in the effort to try and get round these problems. If companies are that bothered about their loss of revenue, they would protect more of there software. I mean, Office 2000, prime target for pirating andit’s piece of piss 2 copy.

im just wondering how they came up with these stats???did they use the invasion of privacy stuff that microsoft was going to court over awile back???i mean who would say yeah i use pirated software???but as the old saying goes…Buy,Burn,Return…

its all bull sh*t…

Contact Macrovision for a copy of the study? That’s not a study, it’s an advertisement. “Macrovision’s customers include the majority of the Fortune 500, as well as most major movie studios, record labels, PC video game publishers, ISVs, consumer electronic device manufacturers, and IC manufacturers.” (from Wiki)