Holographic card by Hitachi Maxell

I just posted the article Holographic card by Hitachi Maxell.

According to a news published at Tech-On, Hitachi Maxell demonstrated playback of music data read from HROM, a read-only medium based on the holographic recording technology at its booth at CEATEC…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13780-Holographic-card-by-Hitachi-Maxell.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13780-Holographic-card-by-Hitachi-Maxell.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Let’s hope they don’t have a dumb format war when holographic storage comes out.

Why not? A format war is good for competition. No way we want a monopoly by one company, that would be bad!

Well, a format war is different than a brand war. Do you really think it’s a good thing that people won’t know if they will still be able to find media for their drives?

If its not re-writable, its not worth it.

We’re not going to have one company manufacturing ALL hardware for holographic storage. It didn’t work for Betamax, didn’t work for the Macintosh, and it ain’t gonna work for HVD. Sony’s figured this out, that’s why they’re licensing Blu-ray. You’d think that format competition reduces prices until you realize you want to watch movies in both formats or you need to access both to read other peoples’ discs, now you have to buy multiple drives or an expensive combo drive so your savings go right out the window. Or you could stay limited to one format. It’s better if companies agree to compete with one format. Just look at the current blu-ray/HD DVD mess to see what I mean. Over time, prices will go down anyway, just like they did with DVD. Format wars slow down adoption, which is bad for all formats involved and inconveniences (punishes) early adopters and makes both formats more risky because if people don’t adopt soon enough both (or all three) formats die or become niche products with high price tags forever. Video disc did this in the 80s. In Phase will probably get a chunk of royalties if this takes off even if there’s competing formats, situations like that are the closest you’ll get to a monopoly. I won’t be surprised if they put DRM on these anyway. :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r