Hollywood has forgotten how to make

vbimport

Rant time.

I’ve been increasingly disappointed with the fare coming out of Hollywood over the last few years. Case in point, the last comedy I tried to watch, called She’s Out of My League. I managed to sit through half of this pile of refuse disguising itself as a movie before finally giving up. It was a series of “How badly can we humiliate this poor chump” scenes, and “How stupid can we make the supporting cast look in the meantime?” All no doubt tied up neatly in a bow with a fairy tale ending. :Z I didn’t stick around for that.

This was supposed to be a romantic comedy, a field strewn with steaming piles of buffalo bagels in the last few decades. Hollywood has lost the touch for this type of movie, and only now and again does one slip through worth watching.

I tried to find an antidote, and watched an old favorite from 2004 called Before Sunset. It is the sequel to an equally good movie from a decade earlier called Before Sunrise. They are inextricably tied together, both with an impossible romantic theme, and not to everyone’s taste, since there is nothing explicit, there is no great drama, and the two leads talk incessantly. But somehow they are both charming in a way that few modern movies match. Very near the end of Before Sunset, when Julie Delphy sings her waltz to Ethan Hawke, there is a moment of emotion and romance spanning years of separation that very few new movies can come close to.

There are only a handful of other examples that I find have any charm at all from the Hollywood crapola machine from the last 20 yrs…While You Were Sleeping, Serendipity, Lost in Translation (not to everyone’s taste)…and a few other romantic films that aren’t comedies, like Snow Falling on Cedars. If the final scene between Hatsue and Ishmael doesn’t break your heart in that movie, you are beyond redemption.

So, not much of a rant, I know, but I have just about given up on new movies coming out with any gift of charm, wit and romance combined.

Anyone have a similar distaste for the movie choices we have these days? Even in a different genre, you are welcome to complain in here. :slight_smile:

You have only just realised? Hollywood hasn’t had an original idea in at least 20 years. Most movies are remakes of great movies from other countries, As usual Hollywood butchers them by turning everything into teenage crap.

I personally stopped watching Hollywood movies a long time ago and have had a better movie experience from that. I don’t care if it’s in another language it’s way better than the generic crap that comes from Hollywood.

Take this movie for an example, [REC] it’s a spanish horror film and it’s brilliant, They even made a sequel using the same actors same set and all and it runs perfectly with the first. Soon after it was released Hollywood decided it would steal it and released this absolute junk Quarentine.

It’s a movie! You’re getting old!

Now that’s out of the way… :slight_smile:

I never liked romantic comedies since everybody seems so freaking perfect in them. Lost in Translation was really awesome though.

Ever seen Cruel Intentions? (1, not 2 or 3, don’t ever watch 2 or 3) That’s a really nice dialougue movie.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2531374]Ever seen Cruel Intentions? (1, not 2 or 3, don’t ever watch 2 or 3) That’s a really nice dialougue movie.[/QUOTE] Cruel Intentions 1 is OK but nothing special.

Cruel Intentions 2 is very funny IMO, although I suppose it’s funny by accident and not by design. One of my favourite B-movies. Unlike #1 this movie doesn’t take itself too seriously.

I didn’t watch #3.

…please don’t get me started on the quality of Hollywood movies these days, or I’ll be here spewing bile all day! :doh:

Hollywood has lost much of their originality, IMO. Every once in a while a good movie with an original plot line somehow sees the light of day but it is hard to find these movies. They don’t advertise them much. One of these I watched recently was Extraordinary Measures. A really good entertaining film based on a true story.

Also, I am getting tired of the whole Marvel Comics genre of sci-fi movies. I know they can still make good sci-fi movies because I recently watched Moon. A great film that didn’t need an army of CGI people to get it on the screen.

I think a good bit of the piracy problem the RIAA and MPAA see results from people being tired of spending money on music and films that suck. People are tired of spending up too $100 to take their family to a theater, or $20 on a DVD, to watch a mediocre movie at best.

I agree with you UTR…comic books to film has become tiresome beyond measure. I rarely bother watching them. The last must have been[I] Iron Man[/I] (the first one), and while it wasn’t horrible, it will sink back into oblivion like most of the mediocre output from Hollywood.

[I]Moon[/I] was a fine movie I thought, and one of the few bright spots for sci-fi in the last few years.

There are a few good fantasy films showing up from time to time, like the independently made [I]Ink[/I] and [I]The Fall[/I]. Hollywood rarely takes chances on novel ideas anymore though and would rather churn out dreck

Your not alone Kerry.

It’s all about money and not for the passion of it.

Just like the way sports have turned, It’s no longer for the love of the game but show me the money.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2531542]It’s all about money and not for the passion of it.

Just like the way sports have turned, It’s no longer for the love of the game but show me the money.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the need to make money. We all need to make money. Hollywood doesn’t seem to have an “eye” for recognizing good scripts and matching those scripts with the right actors. IMO, sci-fi is the genre that has suffered the most in terms of plot quality. Most big films aren’t made to entertain by making your mind work. They are made to be eye candy through the use of special effects.

One genre that I think delivers good films is animated films. I have watched numerous ones that have been thought provoking and extremely funny. Animated films like “9”, Kung Fu Panda, The Incredibles, Ratatouille etc. are more entertaining than most sci-fi I have seen in recent years. It might bode well for when future animated films are done so realistically they can’t be recognized from traditional films.

You’re right Kerry there and I haven’t seen that many good films recently myself.

I’m not saying it’s brilliant but one of the best I’ve seen in a long while was ‘Cleaner’ with Samuel L. Jackson.

So give that a go if you haven’t seen it yet.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2531351]I tried to find an antidote, and watched an old favorite from 2004 called [I]Before Sunset. [/I]It is the sequel to an equally good movie from a decade earlier called [I]Before Sunrise[/I].[/QUOTE] I just watched [I]Before Sunrise[/I] and I really enjoyed it! :flower:

I will need to think about what might be a good comedy in the last couple of years.
Hollywood knows if they actually put out a few good comedies we will see how really bad the rest are.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2533448]I just watched [I]Before Sunrise[/I] and I really enjoyed it! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Glad you liked it Drage. The second one is good too, but has a slightly different feel since the actors are so much older, but is the same sort of dialog driven film.