Hollywood exec frets over paid piracy services

vbimport

Hollywood exec frets over paid piracy services.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/06/vckr1X.jpg[/newsimage]If a cheap, all-you-can download movie subscription service sounds too good to be true, that's because it is, says one movie industry executive.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-exec-frets-over-paid-piracy-services-31140/](http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-exec-frets-over-paid-piracy-services-31140/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I sort of agree with the author. It is ironic that people are willing to pay for an unlimited rental service that you can download/watch movies from.

Sort of like netflix, but probably with a better online selection.

Not sure why movie companies are against a legal company having unlimited movies a month for 10 or 15 bux. 5 might be a bit cheap, but for 10 or 15, and no need for a brick and mortal to rent out of. There should be profit in that.

Instead the MPAA will keep on suing everybody.

[QUOTE=Zod;2527200]I sort of agree with the author. It is ironic that people are willing to pay for an unlimited rental service that you can download/watch movies from.[/quote] Which proves, again, that people just want easy access and no annoyances.

For instance, what would you prefer?

1 - A Blu-Ray disc of your favorite movie. Upon inserting this disc immediately starts playing the main movie in the correct setting for your tv, with your default subtitles already activated. It costs $20,-

2 - A Blu-Ray disc of your favorite movie. This disc shows a PG-warning first, then a commercial about piracy, then a couple of movie previews and coming-up-soon stuff. After that you get a nice but long menu, you select the screen width and subtitling first (lots of animation going on before you can select something), go back to the main menu and start playing the movie. This disc will cost $14,-

Personally for me it would be worth the extra $6 just to skip those annoyances for ever on my original disc.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2527201]This disc shows a PG-warning first, then a commercial about piracy, …[/QUOTE]

I have one store-bought DVD (a special episode of the TV series Brainiac) that has a 2 minute commercial about illegal file sharing, which as above cannot be skipped of fast-forwarded. On any DVD player I have which unlocks navigation restrictions (one physical DVD player and various PC based players), this DVD is customised in such a way that attempting to skip or fast-forward this or any of the copyright warnings will result in the the DVD playing this illegal file sharing commercial from the start.

A quick rip of the main movie on the PC (I think I used DVD Fab) fixed that. However, what’s the point of all these unskippable anti-piracy advertisements on DVDs if only the genuine paying customers actually see them? It’s a bit like DRM, where unfairly targets paying customers, since those who gets content from unofficial sources will probably never encounter anything crippled with DRM.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2527201]

[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious . . . and so true.:clap: