Holiday Baking?

vbimport

With the holidays here upon us…
anyone have any good and fast
recipes that add a big WOW?

my favorite to make…is a pecan pie cheese cake…:slight_smile: its good but not fast or easy and is super rich…but i love making them and giving them to friends

Pecan Pie Cheesecake

Crust:
1 ¾ cups vanilla wafer crumbs
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
â…“ cup butter, melted
Pecan Filling:
1 cup sugar
â…” cup dark corn syrup
â…“ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs
â…” cup heavy whipping cream

Crust:

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine wafer crumbs and brown sugar. Stir in melted butter. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9″ springform pan. Bake for 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pecan Filling:

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into crust and set aside.

Cheesecake Filling:

Reduce oven to 325°. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugar and flour and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in cream and vanilla. Pour over pecan filling. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with the door closed for 1 hour. Remove from oven and run a knife along the outside edges to loosen cheesecake from sides of pan. Let cool. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

We have our traditional Texas luau going. Last week, we dug out the six fire-pits and started burning logs. Today (Monday), we put the last of the big logs in each and we’ll split those tomorrow evening for a final night of high-heat. Wed morning, we’ll put in the hog-halves in each. Eighteen turkeys and about 120 lbs of beef ribs into the smokers on Wed morning, too.

This morning, we received the first truckloads of fruits and veggies. (Tomorrow, the final load arrives from the Rio Grande Valley.) We’ll be making fruit pastes to coat the hog-halves with on early Wed morning - orange, limes, lemons, chiles, bananas, plantains, coconuts, pineapples, garlics, onions - all mashed and mushed around the carcasses, then wrapped in plantain and banana leaves in a wire-mesh ‘tortilla’ and lowered in the the fire pits. We differ the recipes on each slightly - some with more peppers, some with more garlics and onions, some with molasses, some with honey.

But the whole mess is cooked black all day and night, then uncovered about 10 am Thursday. All of the mashed-on pastes are scrapped off, and all that’s left is that rosy pork, ready for servings.

Our weatherman is promising clear 50-ish days for Wed and Thurdsay. That’s our hope, but our picnic hut can handle about our couple of hundred as long as no one’s flinging too many elbows.

So, nothing special here. Same ol’, same ol’…

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;2710459]With the holidays here upon us…
anyone have any good and fast
recipes that add a big WOW?

my favorite to make…is a pecan pie cheese cake…:slight_smile: its good but not fast or easy and is super rich…but i love making them and giving them to friends

Pecan Pie Cheesecake

Crust:
1 ¾ cups vanilla wafer crumbs
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
â…“ cup butter, melted
Pecan Filling:
1 cup sugar
â…” cup dark corn syrup
â…“ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs
â…” cup heavy whipping cream

Crust:

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine wafer crumbs and brown sugar. Stir in melted butter. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9″ springform pan. Bake for 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pecan Filling:

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into crust and set aside.

Cheesecake Filling:

Reduce oven to 325°. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugar and flour and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in cream and vanilla. Pour over pecan filling. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with the door closed for 1 hour. Remove from oven and run a knife along the outside edges to loosen cheesecake from sides of pan. Let cool. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.[/QUOTE]

That’s sounds yummy!!! :smiley:

I would be happy to share anything but most of mine are fairly standard.
I use a 1/4 cup less sugar in my cranberries & the same for pumpkin pie.
Than on the package or can.
I use the Ocean Spray & Libby’s receipes on the package & label respectively.

My dressing or stuffing receipe already posted here;

The turkey : Completely thawed . First I rub inside with a salt & lemon juice mixture .
I just lightly stuff with chopped celery . Some in the neck end & the rest in the large cavity. I usually just use 3 ribs total.
Some sage & black pepper added to that.
I then use white thread to sew both ends shut . Not entirely at the rear end.
That holds most of the moisture in the turkey.
I then do a rub with canola oil but most any cooking oil will do.
I use a foil tent over the turkey.
Then cook at 275° F about an hour per 2 1/2 lbs.

Remove the foil tent the last hour & 15 minutes .
For better browning.
You can baste it with melted butter at this point if you like a butter flavor on the skin.

Got my first fruitcake of the season. Baked by a 95 year old lady…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2710543]Got my first fruitcake of the season. Baked by a 95 year old lady…[/QUOTE]
I got my annual fruitcake from Big Lots called a “Shirley Jean” .
The kind I like with the “cheap” candy fruit.