Hoax?

I heard that AMD is discontinuing the Barton 2500+ processor because they found a serious problem on it. Can anyone confirm if they’re exchanging the processor or this is just an hoax?

I don’t know for sure, but I am quite positive that I’d read something like that already…! If there’d be a serious flaw in that CPU, the faster CPUs with the Barton core’d probably have the same error. I think this implicates that this is indeed a hoax…

What are your sources?

A local computer store. They stopped selling Barton 2500+, now they only sell 2800+ because they say that AMD is no longer producing the 2500+ model.

Originally posted by Lvsitano
A local computer store. They stopped selling Barton 2500+, now they only sell 2800+ because they say that AMD is no longer producing the 2500+ model.

I guess their profit on the 2800+ is higher, or they simply can’t get the 2500+ (anymore?)…

Sounds like some smart elusive marketing…lol

No, they told me that it’s very hard to get the 2500+ because it’s being discontinued. Before they had it and suddenly the stopped selling it. They will not sell too many 2800+ because the price is too high.

Damn, do you mean to say they stop producing processors when they become superceded?
No wonder I cannot get a new 486 40 mhz any where.

Originally posted by Black Diamond
Damn, do you mean to say they stop producing processors when they become superceded?
No wonder I cannot get a new 486 40 mhz any where.

I think that AMD will be producing these CPU’s for quite some time, as they are still very good performers (for a really low price) in the middle class market…

If anything, AMD is pissed because people are buying the 2500 and O/Cing it to 3200, instead of buying the 3200. If there’s really a flaw in it, it’s that it O/C’s too easy. :wink:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
If anything, AMD is pissed because people are buying the 2500 and O/Cing it to 3200, instead of buying the 3200. If there’s really a flaw in it, it’s that it O/C’s too easy. :wink:

That can’t be, as they just started with the 2600+ Barton (166Mhz FSB), that could even outperform the 3200+ easily, with the FSB set to 200Mhz :slight_smile:

could even outperform the 3200+ easily, with the FSB set to 200Mhz

Or 220Mhz :eek: