Hmm.. struggling with Splinter Cell

vbimport

Struggling to copy this with my Asus 52x and LTD163d setup.
Disk 3 is Safedisc 2.8 summin and using the 2.5 profile without AWS results in a copy only working when using the clonecd tray.
It won’t run straight from the DVD drive. I thought the Asus would do a 1:1 copy of this no problem being a 2 sheep burner.
Any ideas anyone??

There is issues for some people in backing up Safedisc 2.8 in Clone CD. Having to have Hide CDR Media enabled even when playing in a DVD Rom is not un common. There is many posts on this.
You can either settle with having the Clone CD tray active or try another App. Alcohol 120%, CD Mate, Blindwrite, GameJack, Discjuggler ect… should do the trick for you.

Bulk,
try the DiskDump/Fireburner combo. Worked for me. DiskDump is rather slow reading, but who cares when you dont need emulation or hide media stuff.

Poon

Originally posted by poon
Bulk,
try the DiskDump/Fireburner combo. Worked for me. DiskDump is rather slow reading, but who cares when you dont need emulation or hide media stuff.

Ah Damn! The bloody one I didnt mention. It was the “and blah blha” bit I couldnt be bothered to say. Now you have forced me to type this. :smiley:
BTW, you will need Hide CDR Media or other ATIP blocking utility in order to play the backup in a CD Burner or other ATIP reading drive.

Originally posted by Portwood
Disk 3 is Safedisc 2.8 summin and using the 2.5 profile without AWS results in a copy only working when using the clonecd tray.
It won’t run straight from the DVD drive. I thought the Asus would do a 1:1 copy of this no problem being a 2 sheep burner.
Any ideas anyone??

I have the same devices. Just use the default Game CD profile and what Bulk said about the Hide CD-R Media.

Having to use emulation software options is a total insult.

Maybe Elby and the ol team should start work on reading and writing that pregap correctly.

Originally posted by debro

Maybe Elby and the ol team should start work on reading and writing that pregap correctly.

The only software that does it correctly is DiscJuggler

Having to use emulation software options is a total insult.
Why? You don’t even know its there. If it runs the game with no difference to the original then where is the issue?
Emulation is a valuable tool. I think people should get used to it now, for it wont be long before it will become a household term. :wink:

Originally posted by Bulk
Why? You don’t even know its there. If it runs the game with no difference to the original then where is the issue?
Emulation is a valuable tool. I think people should get used to it now, for it wont be long before it will become a household term. :wink:

I’d prefer if it didn’t.

Emulation is a tool for pirates. For the rest of us that want a working copy that we can install and play from our backup, we don’t expect to have to mess with patches or emulation programs.

The problem with secondary programs is that in 1 years time or so, you might feel like a game of Unreal2/etc and either have to trawl the web for a no-cd patch or dig thru a whole bunch of cdr’s trying to find the emulation program for it.
Worse is that program support is often withdrawn whenever the author gives up on the project.

Besides I like to be able to pull something out of my cd cases and know it’s gonna work straight away.

If i didn’t, I’d have bought the game Sin. It looked great at the time. But required a 200MB patch download to make it playable.

Waste of time!

Wasted time is wasted fun :slight_smile:

[B]

Besides I like to be able to pull something out of my cd cases and know it’s gonna work straight away.[/B]
In that case you should be using either DiscJuggler or DDump & FireBurner at this point :wink:

Originally posted by Portwood
Any ideas anyone??

I managed it yesterday using a LTD-163D to read and an LTR-40125S to write.

CloneCD read using SafeDisc2[NoAWS] profile and create cue sheet.
Fireburner 2.1.7 write

Originally posted by Orinoco
[B]

I managed it yesterday using a LTD-163D to read and an LTR-40125S to write.

CloneCD read using SafeDisc2[NoAWS] profile and create cue sheet.
Fireburner 2.1.7 write [/B]

That method also works with any 2 sheep writer (so long as dao16 or dao96 is used when burning).

Originally posted by FutureProof
In that case you should be using either DiscJuggler or DDump & FireBurner at this point :wink:

(sigh) I am :slight_smile:

Emulation is a tool for pirates. For the rest of us that want a working copy that we can install and play from our backup, we don’t expect to have to mess with patches or emulation programs.
Its ok to have an opinion but that statement is ridiculous. How would you backup SecuROM 4.8? or StarForce? or ProtectCD 5? or any future protection? Pirates don’t deal with emulation. It is usually those which refuse to use emulation that are the pirates.

@Bulk

I have to agree with debro why would you use emulation if not needed, that one day might be no good after a patch. Which will make your cd that you burnt it on useless. what a waste of money and cd’s.

Originally posted by slayerking
I have to agree with debro why would you use emulation if not needed,
I don’t know. Why would you use it if its not needed?

one day might be no good after a patch. Which will make your cd that you burnt it on useless. what a waste of money and cd’s.
When has emulation done this?

PS - I think your statement in your signature is weak. Emulation is not weak nor is it for the weak. The people that create these emulation utilities know more about the copy protections than most people. They are telling you that 1:1 copies will no longer be possible. When are you going to face the fact that emulation will be your last resort. It already is for various current protections.

When are you going to face the fact that emulation will be your last resort. It already is for various current protections

ahhh you’re one of those people, if everyone listened to people like you we’d still be in the stone age.

[B]

ahhh you’re one of those people, if everyone listened to people like you we’d still be in the stone age. [/B]
Can you just answer the question instead of getting personal? If you cannot answer the question, don’t make up for it by flaming people with useless comments which have no relevance to the posting.
You are clearly mistaken. It is I that accepts the concept of emulation. It is a solution to a growing concern. Physical signatures, pre gap data and unreadable sectors are a few of the ways which will prevent you making 1:1 backups.
You still do not give me a solution to StarForce or ProtectCD 5 other than emulation.
If you presume I jump at the chance to use emulation in any situation, you would again be mistaken. I merely point the fact out that it will become known as the primary legal way to produce backups of your software/games.

@ slayerking

What Bulk is saying is that for some protections there is no present alternative except to use some form of emulation. You’ll note that he doesn’t suggest or promote emulation for securom 4.8x protected games.

@ Bulk

What slayerking is saying in his inimitable and contraversial style is that emulation is a cop-out and that what he wants to see is the programmers of the duping apps working on (and releasing) genuine solutions to the latest protections so that copies will work on systems without emulation or the need for additional software.

[It seems to me that both views are correct but the two of you are at cross purposes.

The fact is that there are some protections that can’t presently be copied without using emulation techniques but that doesn’t mean that the duping programmers should just give up.

A number of experts said that securom 4.8x could not be copied without emulation when it was released but, in fact, it didn’t take all that long for blackcheck to work out a partial solution that does work, albeit with some limitations, for most people. :bow:

What irritates me though, is that none of the commercial duping proggies seem to have taken up and continued work on and improve blackcheck’s innovation nor have they sought to apply it or, more importantly, the principles behind it to other “uncopiable” protections.

True, blindwrite did incorporate twinpeak for a time (4.2.1 to 4.2.7) but they made no attempt to improve on the process and dropped it in favour of autoplay emulation with 4.2.8 or 4.2.9 (can’t remember which off-hand).

One thing is certain and that is that if people give up before they even start because it’s all too hard, then no solution that works without emulation will ever be found (and, regrettably, this seems to be the direction in which the duping proggies are heading at present :frowning: ).]

thanks Philamber you explained it perfectly. I couldn’t think properly this morning (stupid daylight savings) but that’s what I was trying to get across and it seems to be what debro was saying as well. There is nothing personal Bulk I just dont understand why so many people and programmers of duplicating software are just giving up so easily.

as you can see here there is a mention of securom 4.8 by Bulk:

quote:

Its ok to have an opinion but that statement is ridiculous. How would you backup SecuROM 4.8? or StarForce? or ProtectCD 5? or any future protection? Pirates don’t deal with emulation. It is usually those which refuse to use emulation that are the pirates.

But starforce and protect cd5 I own over 80 games now and NOT one of them has either of these protections. Thats why I would say there is no way YET of making a good back up because they’re not widly used so there’s no real reason as yet to try.