Hmm, strange

vbimport

A strange thing I noticed:

Why is MCC/002 allowed @ 8x with 811s, but only allowed @ 4x with 851s?

Ideas?

Are those discs good enough to burn at 8x?

Different firmware revisions decide the write speeds.
Which firmware revisions are you using?

I know the NEC 2500A burns that media well at 8X, so yes it should be fine burning at 8X with your 851.

Look in the DVD test forum HERE for scans.

Yes, I know it’s cause of firmware (HS0P vs GS0F), but I’m wondering why would LiteOn make it 4x when it’s 8x in 811s already…

Originally posted by QQuxa
Yes, I know it’s cause of firmware (HS0P vs GS0F), but I’m wondering why would LiteOn make it 4x when it’s 8x in 811s already…

Who knows what LiteOn was thinking? :confused:
They may have concluded that MCC002 was not consistent/reliable enough when burning at 8x on the 851 and therefore took a safer route of maxing the burn speed at 4X for that media…

You could just speedhack it up yourself you’d like using code65536’s tool. :wink:

They may have concluded that MCC002 was not consistent/reliable enough when burning at 8x on the 851 and therefore took a safer route of maxing the burn speed at 4X for that media…

That’s exactly what I was worried about!

Anyway, I did the speed-hack, and burned disc at 8x. Got everage PI of ~6, PO ~0.02 (or was it 0.002). If not the higher error area at the beginning of disc, it would have been even better.

Now I’ve got a dilema: should I buy these MCC’s (Vervatim DLP) which are cheaper, or should I buy TY’s (Vervatim DL)? Last time I tried burning those TY’s at 8x result wasnt so great… Maybe it’d be better on 851s? shrug

What to choose, what to choose :confused:

Average PI of ~6, PO ~0.02 is excellent!

If you want to save some $$$s, I would just stick with the MCC002 :bigsmile:

IIRC, these only burn at 4x on the SOHW-812s using default firmware… Unless you speedhack it like wesociety mentioned.

The difference between price of the two is not so big, and everyone’s been fainting over TY’s all the time, so I kinda feel drawn to them aswell :slight_smile: Not sure if that’s good though.

What about lifetime - which of those two do you think would last longer? (as in quality degradation over time)

I have CDR’s burnt from both companies from 6 years ago, and still going strong.

My personal opinion is that these companies with reputations for good quality media would continue their culture of producing good quality media into their DVD lines as well :slight_smile:

Either should be fine. If you perhaps want a more definitive answer, try the media forums :wink:

Scan images:

Verbatim DL 4x (TY/T01) @ 8x. Burned with 811s, HS0P:

Verbatim DL 4x (TY/T01) @ 4x. Burned with 851s, GS0F:

Verbatim DLP 4x (MCC/002) @ 8x. Burned with 851s, GS0F:

All discs scanned with 851s, GS0F

I dont understand why TY would burn THAT bad at 8x :confused: I’m so curious to try it with 851… just afraid the result will be the same :confused:

I dont understand why TY would burn THAT bad at 8x :confused: I’m so curious to try it with 851… just afraid the result will be the same :confused:

thinks that the 811 has more problems than the 851 and that’s why the 8x is so bad

I’d try 8x on the 851S because I have more confidence in the 851S’s performance. But then again, TY media is very expensive, so it’s up to you. I’d do it if I were in your shoes, but that’s me personally.

Both are expensive here.

TY is 40% more expensive (1.71 eur/piece vs 2.43eur/piece). It’s buyable but it’s not cheap. And I have no idea where could I buy them cheaper - online most likely, but shipment to lithuania would add that much on top…

Originally posted by code65536
thinks that the 811 has more problems than the 851 and that’s why the 8x is so bad

Very interesting discussion indeed…
I would like to add that mine 411@811 (Z-modV4) burns “better” on cheap media than expensive.! Don´t ask me why, ´cause I don´t know…
With code65536 speedhack, I managed to burn various 2,4 and 4X rated DVD+R´s at 8X…perfectly. :bigsmile:

Kind á off topic
Recently I have also seen many posts of scans with 811S (original) on later FW´s (ex. HS0P), having problem in the 6X section burning. High PI/PO´s and unreadable disk as result.
[Lately Lite-On firmware experimenting has only resulted in “worse” burning results, from my stand off point.]

Luckely, one week ago, I found cheap media (Memorex DVD+R 1-4X) “Moser Baer India” that burns great @8X on 411@811 with FW HS0K. See attached scan. No glitch in 4X or 6X burn speed area…
Note, -I bought a 50-spindle and payed less than 1EURO/disk (in Sweden)-.

Without testing this media on an 851S and with a non-technical approach, I would recomend QQuxa to downgrade the 811 firmware (ex. HS0K) and try again. With cheap media of´course. I´m sure the results will be better. (Bitsetting working OK on HS0K.)
As a comment, I use MCC branded media only for longtime storage purposes…

To end it up, I have so far not seen any problems with my 411@811 (Z-modV4) when burning at 8X speed… :smiley:

Upload NOT working, again…#&?#§!.
You can se my scan here.

End off Kind á off topic

well, I dont own that 811s anymore, only 851s now…

OK, then just speedhack your 2+EURO TY´s and give them a run @ 8X.

:smiley:

Yeah I’ll try them on my 851s.

Wondering if I can get any of that media cheaper somewhere… That wont be lithuania though :frowning:

Verbatim DL 4x (TY/T01) @ 8x. Burned with 851s, GS0F:

You were right :slight_smile: It roxors.

But those high-error-at-slow-burn areas make me wonder… why?

You aren’t the only one to have more errors like that at the beginning. Since the errors you are getting are WELL within acceptable range I wouldn’t worry about it.

[B]Verbatim DL 4x (TY/T01) @ 8x. Burned with 851s, GS0F:

You were right :slight_smile: It roxors.

But those high-error-at-slow-burn areas make me wonder… why? [/B]

Geee, some people are soo finicky.

Set your PI/PO axis to 280/32 and see what a joke it is making so much noise about something so small.

Many of us would be glad to get such low error rates.