Hmm.. got my asus 5224a today

its a nice drive…but it still will not make copies good enough without emulation to run on my laptop drive or my creative 52x drive of sd2.9.

tried CloneCd latest version, Alc120 latest version, and BW 4.5 + 5 without autoplay.

if FP or others have any tips on what they use with this drive id like to expirement with it. Im still pretty sure that certain drives will not play these titles without autoplay or its equivelent.

and yes i flashed it to bios 1.1

So it has the same capabilities than lastest models of liteon cdrw; not?

Originally posted by Parker
So it has the same capabilities than lastest models of liteon cdrw; not?

id say it does a better job with safedisk 2.9+ than my liteons but the liteons are close…both should do the job

Yes I think so, but my liteon cdrw looks like backups of sd2.90 do not like to my dvd-writers. But using autoplay on BW all works perfect.
Seems that Safedisk 2.90 will need assistance of emulation for some devices when I use my liteon 52327s. Hope safedisk 3.1 will be easy.

id say it does a better job with safedisk 2.9+ than my liteons but the liteons are close…both should do the job

How can it be that this drive does a better job when the backup won’t run also?

Why can I only write at low speed with my liteon to get a good backup and however my LG 52/32/52 can make good backups at 24x+ speed? for safedisk 2.90+ protected disks

Originally posted by Jay Sea
How can it be that this drive does a better job when the backup won’t run also?

i can play the backup on all of my drives except for 2 with the asus without autoplay…the liteons backups will work on all but 3 of my drives (wont work on my sony).

Seems safedisk 2.90 will need emulation to work in all drives with any cd-writer.
I will try my plexwriter 8/20 to make other tests on other devices like your creative 52x; I think it is the best to make backups of safedisk 2.90+

>Seems safedisk 2.90 will need emulation to work in all drives
>with any cd-writer.

If I understand you correctly, no.

My ASUS 52x FW 1.0 kills SD 2.90.040; some 1.1 have done it too. With LITEON it seems to be the luck of the draw.

FutureProof said …
My ASUS 52x FW 1.0 kills SD 2.90.040; some 1.1 have done it too. With LITEON it seems to be the luck of the draw

I actually slightly disagree with this statement, but let me clarify:

The Liteon 52327S is a little iffy.

The Liteon 321xx, 401xx and 481xx series (including the combo drive 48161h) are all very capable of making working backups of SD 2.90 (and 3.10) discs, that do not need any emulation.

The ASUS 52x drive is one hell of a fast SD reader. The only negative is that you have to use an early firmware (1.0 or 1.1) and this can result in some unusual speed restrictions (burnwise) with recently released CD-R media. i.e. my Verbatim 52x discs being burned at 16x. BTW My ASUS won’t work with Blindwrite’s BWA maker.

If you want real value for money and only have 1 slot on your box, go for a Liteon 411S DVD burner ( 40x24x40, 4xDVD and it will do SD 2.90 just fine).

Just my 0.02 worth.

Originally posted by Jackass

I actually slightly disagree with this statement,

Does this mean you win?

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]>Seems safedisk 2.90 will need emulation to work in all drives
>with any cd-writer.

My ASUS 52x FW 1.0 kills SD 2.90.040; some 1.1 have done it too. With LITEON it seems to be the luck of the draw. [/B]

I am refering that always can exist some drive that can not read well the backup protected with sd2.90 because it can have some problems reading some new weak sectors of it and do not work.
And you need enable some type of emulation to jump this

it is supossed the two DVD/CD combo Toshiba can write almost every weak sector, but with safedisc 2.90, seems it can’t.
Backup will not play on my SD-R1402, but original does, so it’s evident weak sectors are not correctly burned.
I have burned all my test at 12x, maybe this could be the problem, but will not bet on it.
Can anyone explain me why some drives can and other that should can’t?

Thanks!

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]>Seems safedisk 2.90 will need emulation to work in all drives
>with any cd-writer.

My ASUS 52x FW 1.0 kills SD 2.90.040; some 1.1 have done it too. With LITEON it seems to be the luck of the draw. [/B]

Oh poop… I just flashed my ASUS to 1.36. Damn KVM switch, and I didn’t see this thread until it’s too late. I hope it’d be fine in the future…

FutureProof lamely said…

Does this mean you win?

Your behaviour for a senior admin leaves a lot to be desired.

I was just trying to point out that some liteon drives do reliably copy SD 2.9 (namely the earlier drives).

My 10 year old son has better manners than you.

regardless, even with a good copy on a asus 5224A using 1.1 bios not all drives (by all drives i mean every cdr, cdrw, dvd, and dvdrw ever made) will play the title without emulation. there are still are some drives out there that just dont like burned cds of sd2.9+ mainly cheap cdrws or older cdrs at least from my testing using over 16 different drives to test play copies of sd2.9+.

I would challenge anyone to send me a burned sd 2.9 cd and I bet it will not work in my certain problem drives without emulation but legal restrictions prevent this.:stuck_out_tongue:

Jamos

Perhaps there are more drives than you think that can’t read copies, maybe some that can’t reliably read the originals.

Perhaps this is why Macrovision moved on to their latest version (3.1)

I have a copy of Empires: Dawn of the Modern World that is protected with SD 3.1 and this disc too is easily copied by the Liteon and ASUS.

This latest version of SD was too easily copied, I wonder whether Macrovision have some surprises in store for us? I still vividly remember when the first Neverwinter Nights patch came out, and all of a sudden SecuROM New was born, and our copies no longer worked.

[B]Jamos

Perhaps there are more drives than you think that can’t read copies, maybe some that can’t reliably read the originals.

Perhaps this is why Macrovision moved on to their latest version (3.1)

I have a copy of Empires: Dawn of the Modern World that is protected with SD 3.1 and this disc too is easily copied by the Liteon and ASUS.

This latest version of SD was too easily copied, I wonder whether Macrovision have some surprises in store for us? I still vividly remember when the first Neverwinter Nights patch came out, and all of a sudden SecuROM New was born, and our copies no longer worked. [/B]

I think that was my point. ie that no matter who says that this drive will kill any sd 2.9 protection out there that it isnt true for all drives that you play it on (at least for me its been that way). it will make a very good copy but variences from one title to the next even using the same protection can cause problems as well as the play drive just not liking cdr media.

Your right there are probably alot of drives out there that wont run non emulation sd 2.9 backups no matter what drive you have and what software you use to back it up…i just have 2 of them…im sure there are more. but of course i could be doing something wrong with my backup techniques that cause this. Though no one has told me differently.

your right about macrovision also as ive had sd2.9 originals that wouldnt even read in some of my drives! I think they backed down a bit on the protection.

Im not a expert by any means never claimed to be. I just post my tests and results on here to help others maybe make informed decisions as i use others tests and results to make mine.

as far as FP i think he was joking…its sometimes hard to tell on forums I wouldnt take it personally. you should of just said I do WIN! hehee…anyways i do think he agrees with my point…that no drive out there will make a perfect copy that will work on every cdrom drive out there (like i said folks, you got to use some common sense here. I know my creative drive is a piece of crap i dont expect burned sd 2.9 titles to work on it. Same goes for burners if you have a crappy burner like my laptops then dont expect the software to magically make 1:1 copies of every title you have…aint gonna happen).

[B]

I was just trying to point out that some liteon drives do reliably copy SD 2.9 (namely the earlier drives).

My 10 year old son has better manners than you. [/B]
Sorry, you were just stating the same case in a different way. Yes, this is luck of the draw. It is not linked specifically to model number or FW revision. You can’t buy a LITEON and be guaranteed that it will kill SD2.90.040 - it just doesn’t happen.

My manners are fine. If you can’t see that you repeated my observation in different words - fine. A little humour goes a long way and you’ve no reason to feel dissed by me.

may be there is some old fw that works better than others for liteon cdrw drives, to backup safedisk 2.90