- Started as a digital interface.
- Hollywood wanted DRM. So Digital Rights Management Corp LLP came into being.
- Six digital keys were introduced and there had to be a handshake between the sending and receiving unit.
- These are the HDCP codes which have to be in compliance.
- Switchers and Receivers with HDMI inputs were created.
- Paranoid Hollywood thought this would be a haven for pirates.
- Repeater architecture was then created.
- T.V. is a end device which requires a handshake, so you connect a cable box, etc to a T.V with one certification.
- If you connected these devices through a receiver or any device that outputs HDMI, there will have to be constantly repeated handshakes of the digital keys between the sending device and the receiver, otherwise no output to the TV.
HDMI Passthrough/Switching is no repeated handshakes of the HDCP codes.
- Will only allow video to pass through and requires a separate audio connection.
HDMI Repeater repeats HDCP codes.
- Allows both video and audio to pass through.