HL-DT-ST RW/DVD Rewriter doesnt write dvds

vbimport

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD Rewriter doesnt write dvds
Anyone help me with a url where I can pickup the right firmware fix for this. Some bod in wales sold me this dvd rewriter which was in a removable module for Dell Latitude 610 C and had only once written a CD-R, I cant get it to be visible to Nero 6 and it will simply not recognize dvds, have tried various brands of dvds and cdrs, even some cdrs are not recognisable to the drive.

Anyone offer an address where I can go to download a firmware fix, or does this require something else?
Many Thanks to you all out there.
Chewie

email me directly if you prefer
pchew1954@yahoo.co.uk

Hi and welcome!

It would be great, if you reported the exact type of the drive (something like GWA-xxxx). According to your description, this could be a slimline drive as used in notebooks. Firmware is only available from the computer manufacturer who used that drive for system building. Maybe that drive works only in the enclosure it was built-in previously.

Is the drive recognised correctly in device manager?

Michael

Use a tool like DiscInfo, and post the summary (File, Save).
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/discinfo/

This tool will also indicate the CD/DVD formats supported.

Brother Vlad

Thanks Michael (& Brother Vlad) for your replies last week- Sorry I was offline this long!!

I’d forgotten to take the cover off to look inside, yes it’s a slim drive for laptops, which someone had put into a
Dell Lattitude C series (24x CDrom) removable module,

the actual drive details are

Model no: GCC-4240N
HW: C FW:0110 MECHA: F
TYPE CQGO S/N B2K027223

Its amde in Malaysia by Hitachi Electronic Products (M) Sdn.Bhd.
date Manufactured - November 2002
and had extra product info

E-H022-20-0964 (B) not sure if these extra digits are relevant?

Would appreciate any help/advice you guys have?
Many Thanks
Paul

(Also apologies if I wrongly stated LG drive, as that was all I could find in the many searches I made elsewhere)

Re: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD Rewriter doesnt write dvds

Hi and welcome!

It would be great, if you reported the exact type of the drive (something like GWA-xxxx). According to your description, this could be a slimline drive as used in notebooks. Firmware is only available from the computer manufacturer who used that drive for system building. Maybe that drive works only in the enclosure it was built-in previously.

Is the drive recognised correctly in device manager?

Michael

Brother Vlad
Please help me- How should I use the DiscInfo and th ASPI drivers that they refer to in that link?
Many thanks by the way for your reply - I have been offline for a whole week !

it’s a slim OEM drive for laptops, which someone had installed into a
Dell Lattitude C series (24x CDrom) removable module,

the actual drive is:-
Model no: [B]GCC-4240N[/B]
HW: C FW:0110 MECHA: F
TYPE [B]CQGO [/B] S/N B2K027223

Its made in Malaysia by Hitachi Electronic Products (M) Sdn.Bhd.
date Manufactured - November 2002
and had extra product info

E-H022-20-0964 (B) not sure if these extra digits are relevant?

Would appreciate any help/advice you guys have?
Many Thanks
Paul

(Also apologies if I wrongly stated LG drive, as that was all I could find in the many searches I made elsewhere)

You just run it, you could try DVDInfoPro. http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

But we can tell you now that you have Combo drive. A CD Burner and DVD Reader. The drive is not a DVD Writer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p39696/en/specs.htm

HL-DT-ST (Hitachi-LG Data Storage)

Brother Vlad

*  Write speed [CD-R]: 4x, 10x(CLV), 16x~24x(ZCLV)
* Write speed [CD-RW]: 4x, 10x(CLV)
* Read speed [CD]: Max. 24x
* Read speed [DVD]: Max. 8x
* Data Transfer Rate CD: Max. 3,600KB/s DVD : Max. 11,080KB/s
* Access Time:
      o CD: 110ms
      o DVD : 120ms 
* Buffer Size: 2Mbytes with buffer underrun proof technology
* Loading Type: Motorized Tray
* Mounting Type: Horizontal / Vertical
* Interface Type: Internal E-IDE/ATAPI
* Writing Method:
      o Disc at Once
      o Track at Once
      o Variable or Fixed Packet Write
      o Multi-session
* Compatible Formats Read : CD-ROM Mode 1,2, CD-DA, CD-I/FMV, CD-XA, Mixed Mode, CD Extra, CD-Audio, CD-Plus, CD Text, Photo-CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW Write : CD-R/RW
* Dimension (W × D × H): 128mm x 129mm x 12.7mm
* Weight: 210g
* New, Bulk. One year warranty.

Can you plse send me a link to get a firmware upgrade frfor this drive?- if this is only a cdwriter with dvd replay - then I’ve been conned on the ebay site- will have to report the bast$£rd who sold it as a drd-rw drive!
Still wouldnt mind your help once more?

Thanks Bro Vlad

I read some of your earlier stuff where you were quoted as having a rpc1 something or rather? was that related to what I need?
Paul

You can’t get this drive to write DVDs with a firmware upgrade.

RPC1 (region-free) firmware handles the regioning of the drive.

The part numbers for LG slim-line DVD writers are GSA/GWA/GCA 4040N/4080N/4082N in various combinations.

Brother Vlad

cd writing is working properly. but while writing dvd it just writes only 1% and not writing after that. i changed my cable shifted from primary to secondary ata slot,updated my firmware. did everything but not working. plz anyone help me out. :frowning:

Your post is not suitable for this very thread. :rolleyes:

Please don’t hijack someone else’s thread. Apart from the fact that it is rather rude, it makes the discussion in this thread quite confusing. Start your own thread instead - you will also get more people paying attention to your problem that way.