HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B ATA wont load CDs

i installed vista on my computer and after that my CD drive wouldn’t load CDs. you can hear the drive start up like its trying to read the CD but it wont load. ive deleted the upper and lower filters in registry and removed it from devise manager. i would really appreciate any help.

One good way to find if your drive can read cd’s is to get a bootable cd like win XP or Linux Ubuntu :smiley: and boot.

[QUOTE=vroom;2117185]One good way to find if your drive can read cd’s is to get a bootable cd like win XP or Linux Ubuntu :smiley: and boot.[/QUOTE]

yeah im going to try that my friend is getting ubuntu because his OS is messed up and his XP and vista CD dont work so he’s trying ubuntu so i’ll borrow his. thx but is there anything i can do to fix this i’ve tried spore creature creator and other CD/DVD and it doesnt work how do i fix that?

Give the ubuntu a chance first, if that fails you can try to open the drive and clean the lens, i still believe that first you should try the boot cd method.

I agree with vroom - the boot method is a good way to find out whether it’s a hardware (drive) problem, or a software problem within Windows.

well thx for all the help but im pretty sure its a bad drive. i’ve DLed a new driver from a site i found i it seems to run better but still cant get the CDs to load. im also sure this has been going on before i put vista on (never use the CD drive much so idk). i try to rip a CD a while ago from a friend and it didnt work. i thought this was just because it was scratched (got it from her at work and didnt have a case just put it in my pocket). im just going to buy a new drive and if it doesnt work well ill just use the laser diode to make the laser ive been thinking of making for a while.