HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N won't read dvds

vbimport

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find anything…

My HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N on a HP zv5000 reads eveything but DVDs. I mean any cds and any BURNED dvd, but not an actual, honest-to-God, purchased DVD movie. Region is set to 1, all my dvds are region 1, I can copy the movie with my desktop and play it in the laptop just fine. I can’t seem to find any info on this drive, and I’m not sure that is what Device Manager reported the drive as before. Is there a firmware for it? Or could this possibly be a DRM scheme? Any help is appreciated. Thanx in advance.

If you can copy that one then the OS/drive has read it already.

Use a proper dvd player software, even VLC tool would do it.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough on that (I was watching 24 at the time). The drive in question is on a laptop (HP zv5000). It used to work fine, but stopped reading dvds (unless they’re burned dvds - all types of dvd r/rw work just fine). Windows says “Please insert a disc” in explorer. Windows doesn’t recognize it. No type of player works unless it’s a burned dvd or any type of cd. I really don’t want to copy a dvd every time just to watch it on my laptop. So what I’m asking is: Is my drive hosed? Or does anyone know of a firmware that works on this drive?

I just googled the partial model # (GCC-4243N instead of HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N) and it shows it’s an LG 24x24x8x. I KNOW it used to be higher. I’ve burned CDs at 40x. I don’t even think it is an LG. (maybe Toshiba? I have an older zv5000 similar to this one that has a Toshiba 24x24x8x, so I might be wrong about that) BUT I’ve never updated the F/W on this drive! How is that possible? Must be time for a new drive. It figures…the warranty expired last month. So, if no one can help with this, any recommendations for a dvd burner that fits in a Pavillion zv5000?

Oh, and the drive is a dvd reader, not burner.

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N is a COMBO drive by LG.
DVD-ROM combined with CD-RW.

Which firmware is on the drive?

The 1.08 f/w from hp’s site. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=435618&cc=us&dest_page=product&softwareitem=ob-31831-1)
I just flashed it after my last post & it’s still the same. One thing I remembered: this happened after I installed my new Audigy 2 zs notebook (PC Card) & its drivers. I’ve uninstalled those, to no avail.