HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUD0N help!

vbimport

Hello!
I am writing here because I found no infos on this OEM drive.
It is present on many MSI and maybe lenovo and hp notebooks.

I wish to dump the firmware but I found not utility to do that.

If I can help with this drive, just ask me.
This is the page on hitachi site but the fw is missing :frowning:

My wishes: rpc1, autoreset, speedunlock (if needed)

http://hlds.co.kr/v2/search.php?bo_table=e_product&sca=ODD&wr_id=31

I don’t check the forums often but if you need to contact me (any developer) you can find me on facebook searching for “Zibri”… not the page… the user with “Zibri” as middle name…

Regards and keep up the good work!

Update!
With flasher I’ve got a dump!

C:\Users\Zibri\Downloads\flasher_Win64_10252010_1137PM>flasher -d 1 -l firmware.bin 1 00000000 00200000
Devilsclaw's LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
cmd_dumploc: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumploc: Dump process finished

I also got nomething usind 0 instead of 1.

Now I need to know where to cut it… any help?

Dump attached… remove pdf extension… is a 7z compressed file.

dumpDVDRAM_GUD0N.7z.pdf (457 KB)

update: it’s a strange dump… it contains indeed the ODD name but I don’t see the supported media names as in other firmwares… anyone care to explain?

It’s likely scrambled, encrypted, and/or compressed.

I’ve no idea on how you can achieve what you want, unfortunately.

Did you notice the header? (that is not firmware… it’s a memory dump!) it says MATSHITA… (MATSUSHITA, one of the biggest companies in the world)…
So it seems a drive made by MATSHITA for HITACHI/LG…
Yes, the firmware seems to be compressed or scrambled… but many are…
there are many readable strings here and there… and since it’s memory, maybe it’s possible to alter the memory without even flashing… that woukd be great to have a region free setting for example… I will study more and let you know…
If anyone has any clue, please, write on this thread… it could be useful for many people…

From what I see inspecting the dump, it’s 1MB total… a part of it is RAM or volatile (it changes between dumps) everything else is not…
Firmware seems encrypted or obfuscated and compressed. Nvram including the device name and settings is in clear…

Another dump… obtained using:

flasher.exe -d 1 -l test.bin 5 00000000 00100000

many bytes are different… I’m quite puzzled.

Ok. finally I got a right dump of the firmware… this is a 2mb dump including firmware (you can put it in mediacode speed edit and get the speed table from this!)

As before, delete the pdf extension to get the 7z file.

Now it’s up to you firmware wizards to modify it and make it flashable…

The dump was obtained using

flasher -d 1 -l dump_1_80_2mb.bin 1 80000000 00200000

dump_1_80_2mb.7z.pdf (718 KB)

gud0n_speedsettings.txt (9.71 KB)

Anyone?! Please!

[QUOTE=Zibri;2781563]Anyone?! Please![/QUOTE]

Your last dump is correct, but unfortunately adding the necessary header and making it flashable will not help at all, because MCSE doesn’t support this particular drive model, and currently there is no other tool available that can RPC1 or AutoRPC2 patch the firmware for these drives.

The best you can do is to use a software tool like AnyDVD to get around regional protection.

This is the LG page… and still no firmware available :frowning:

No news?! :frowning:

Update:
This is the firmware of GUD1N can anyone make it region free? then I can try a crossflash because I think they are the same drive.

http://www.cdrinfo.pl/download2bios.php?filename=biosy/DVDRAM_GUD1N_____1.00.exe&id=16282110541&baza=biosy

There is no way for us to make it region free. There is no one here who knows how to correctly unpack the firmware for editing, let alone knows how to edit it.

You will have to work around RPC1 locks via software that runs in the background on your computer (assuming you’re using Windows).

[QUOTE=Zibri;2785115]This is the firmware of GUD1N can anyone make it region free? then I can try a crossflash because I think they are the same drive.
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t assume that GUD0N and GUD1N drives use identical hardware. This is generally/historically not the case for most slim LG drives. Quite often there can be major differences between successive families, and historically speaking LG are well known to quite often alternate between different chipsets (Renesas, Panasonic and Mediatek) from one family to the next. Crossflashing without knowing for sure that two drive models are hardware identical is a dangerous enterprise and a sure way of most likely killing a drive for good.

In fact I had a look at the two firmwares and these two drives couldn’t be more different! GUD0N uses a Panasonic chipset and a 2Mb firmware, while GUD1N uses a Mediatek chipset with a 1Mb firmware. It cannot get any more different than that, and that historical pattern proves to be true in this case.

As for the GUD0N firmware, I have processed your raw firmware dump (added the necessary header, sorted out the checksums and removed all the rubbish data from the raw dump) and obtained a flashable firmware for you. I can’t test it since I do not have this drive, but standalone flashers recognise the processed firmware correctly which means that the structure and all the checksums are correct, so this this dump should work just fine.

I have uploaded a copy for you here: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/IdnNgFhY/file.html

As I said in one of my earlier posts, having a flashable copy of the firmware is not particularly helpful in this case, because MCSE doesn’t support these drives and therefore you can’t use it to patch these particular firmwares. Furthermore, while I am able to create a flashable firmware from a raw dump, my knowledge ends there. Disassembling firmwares and firmware patching is above my pay grade I’m afraid :frowning:

So I’m afraid that as far as RPC patching goes, the only chance you’ve got at this stage is using a software like AnyDVD to bypass regional protections.

For reference, in addition to the now flashable dump that I have created from your raw dump (firmware v1.00), there’s only one other GUD0N firmware available that I know of, namely the HP OEM SD03 firmware. I have extracted the binary from the HP flasher, and I included it in the above archive. I have also included a copy of a standalone/unlocked LG flasher that will allow one to flash these firmwares to a GUD0N drive.

Needless to say, none of these are of a particular help (unless someone wants to play with crossflashing between the two OEM firmwares that is) without someone who can patch these firmwares, and as Albert said, I don’t think we’ve got any firmware patchers around that are still active and can patch these firmwares…

Also, there’s no good reason to crossflash a (presumably retail) drive coming with firmware 1.00 on board into an HP OEM model that uses firmware SD03. The reason is that the firmware dates of the two firmwares are quite close, in fact firmware 1.00 is nearly two months newer than SD03. Firmware 1.00 is dated 15/07/30, while firmware SD03 is dated 15/06/09.

For someone who has an HP OEM GUD0N drive, they might have more of a reason to crossflash it to the retail model though. As HP OEM drives identify as “hp HLDS DVDRW GUD0N” that would suggest that these drives probably lack DVD-RAM support (i.e. this feature is disabled in the HP OEM firmware) and therefore by crossflashing they will ‘upgrade’ their drive to the retail model (HL-DT-STDVDRAM GUD0N) which supports DVD-RAM and which is also nearly two months newer. This would be pretty much the only crossflashing benefit that I can see.

Thanks for the effort. In the meanwhile I found out that both the GUD0N (alas! the HP SD03 is a different model, is not DVDRAM GUD0N!) both the GUD1N happily reset the region undefinitely there is a counter for the user reset and a counter for the vendor reset, but a scsi command can reset both. Sincerely I don’t care much about these $10 drives but it’s fun to play with them trying to find secret commands or enable features (like speedripping).
I am “playing” both with linux and windows.
Using sg_raw is very simple to issue scsi commands.
But windows and linux behave differently.
If I reset the region to “not set” and boot windows, windows sets the region the first time I play a DVD (even with vlc).
From Linux the region remains unset.
(And vlc with libdvdcss plays anything)
From windows I did a silly thing: I have put the user reset counter to 0 with the region still not set.
Running VLC, it plays the dvd (even if for some reason it goes choppy, like it looses frames) and does NOT set the region; if I play the dvd with PowerDVD, it asks me to change the region and if I say yes, it makes the VENDOR counter decrease… it’s crazy but that’s what happens. My vendor counter never decreased before. Fortunately I can reset it.
I’ll keep you posted on the developments.

About the crossflashing, I was suggesting that only because on HL-DT-ST site there is a firmware for GUD1N but not for GUD0N… so I thought that could have been a start.
Also because I have both drives, GUD0N in my MSI laptop and GUD1N in my gf HP laptop. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Zibri;2785137]Thanks for the effort. In the meanwhile I found out that both the GUD0N (alas! the HP SD03 is a different model, is not DVDRAM GUD0N!) both the GUD1N happily reset the region undefinitely there is a counter for the user reset and a counter for the vendor reset, but a scsi command can reset both.[/QUOTE]

Rest assured that with the exception of the drive identifier string (and maybe the lack of DVD-RAM support) both the “hp HLDS DVDRW GUD0N” and the “HL-DT-STDVDRAM GUD0N” are in fact one and the same drive (identical hardware) and looking at both firmwares it is very clear that both of these firmwares are intended for the very same hardware. A GUD0N is a GUD0N irrespective of the drive ID string variations. It is just that HP likes to rebrand things with their own name, and lately their way of showing that a drive is an HP OEM one is to change the drive identifier string from the classical “HL-DT-STDVDRAM GUD0N” to a customised “hp HLDS DVDRW GUD0N” string in this case. One should be able to safely crossflash back and forth between the two firmwares without any problems if they want to.

Regarding the vendor reset command, that is certainly a very nice and useful discovery. :clap: Do keep us posted…

Here we go: http://www.zibri.org/2016/12/lg-dvd-region-reset-gud0n-gud1n-and.html

Or directly: https://github.com/Zibri/LG-DVD-REGION-RESET