HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GWA4164B Does Not Work

Hi guys,
I have a DELL xps 600, slightly over a month old. I have a CD and DVD burner on my computer and my problem is this: when I put a DVD movie into my DVD player, nothing happens and when I go to “my computer” everything just freezes until I take out the DVD.
My DVD player: HL-DT-ST DVD ±RW GWA4164B
I also have PC Cillin and use PowerDVD.
I dont know whats wrong, and I dont think that it is anything that I did.
If you can help, I would appreciate it greatly! :bigsmile:
~Warden

First check the Devicemanager settings.

I also have a Dell computer Dimension 5150 it came with the same LG burner,I have had the burner replaced twice by Dell. It wouldn’t play disc’s at times and wouldn’t download any of my CD software disc’s. I rang Dell and over the phone they got me to run a test and after about a Bl—y hour they decided it was faulty. Just hoped this one stays good, just for insurance I have put in a Pioneer 110. So why don’t you ring Dell and get them to replace it, because I bet they have had to replace a lot more than just mine.

Mine is a dell 5150 as well and the LG GWA 4164B drive is not perfect either. Difficulty at times reading dvd’s (partially solved by making sure the recording is enabled on this drive) but also won’t make a good burn at 4x?? I’m considering another dvd writer.

The GWA-4164B is a problematic drive. Search this forum and you will see quite a lot of complaints about it. This model is a custom one for OEM customers and is usually only bundled by OEMs like Dell with their computers. It isn’t usually sold as a bare drive on the market. It’s not typical of the quality of LG drives in general. Unfortunately, it might be the only encounter with LG drives most Dell and other OEM computer owners ever encounter.

My drive had the D108 firmware, upgrading to E113 that was suggested somewhere and posted by DELL did not help me at all.

I have a my pc, Dimension 9150, for over a year now and have just had the same probelm with my drive

ie. my GWA4164B drive will not read a dvd but works correctly in every other way

If anyone come across a solution other than replacing the drive I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

I have a similar problem:

My Acer Aspire comes with the HL-DT-ST DVD ±RW GWA4164B drive. Initially, I could use it as intended for reading and writing both CDs and DVDs. Suddenly, I could no longer use it for reading and writing DVDs (but still for reading and writing CDs).

I have upgraded to the 1.05 firmware without success (whenever I put an empty DVD in the tray the device says “No disc inserted”). It seems as if the drive has lost its ability to handle DVDs.

Any guidance on how to correct this problem is much welcome (alternatively, tips of a good replacement drive are also welcome)

Crossflash it to buffalo firmware!

That was a little vague as responses go [U]pejakam[/U]. I have an XPS 400 and this horrible drive came with it. Mine actually works to burn images and reads CDs but doesn’t know any DVD is in the the tray. After a reformat I can’t get any of my newer games back onto my PC as this was the only drive I went with. Stupid me. I am going to buy a separate drive that is just DVD-rom so as to keep cost down. I have all the newest drivers and firmware and and everything that came with it and have completely removed and reinstalled the drive a number of times and I am sick to death of reading the countless forums it took for me to realize I should just fork out another $50 for a drive and chalk all of this up to a ridiculous learning experience that I will take to my grave with hate and apathy and loathing for any company using this garbage…lol. Sorry…been a long day. IMHO.

Talked to LG the makers of this device… They gave me a microsoft fixit program called MicrosoftFixit50027.msi … I ran it and had to reboot then after it booted up problem was resolved…

MicrosoftFixit50027.zip (181 KB)

Does your ever insert a dvd in rom and then immediately rigth click dvd drive? i do same method and my stuiped LG HL-DT-ST RW /DVD GCC H21N READ cd’s and write cd’s but it some times read very few dvd you do not need any software for it just use as cd reader or cd writer .my method is best when i insert any dvd and go in my computer then rigth click on dvd drive and wait for 36 to 55 sec it works. if this does’t work on your computer .I don’t know what to do?

[QUOTE=shown;2425649]Does your ever insert a dvd in rom and then immediately rigth click dvd drive? i do same method and my stuiped LG HL-DT-ST RW /DVD GCC H21N READ cd’s and write cd’s but it some times read very few dvd you do not need any software for it just use as cd reader or cd writer .my method is best when i insert any dvd and go in my computer then rigth click on dvd drive and wait for 36 to 55 sec it works. if this does’t work on your computer .I don’t know what to do?[/QUOTE]

You have never ever thought about whats the issue?!?

Remove AnyDVD!!!

HE HE HE He??? :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=shown;2441774]HE HE HE He??? :stuck_out_tongue: :)[/QUOTE]

Had you success lately?

Hi guys I’m new here I have the exact same model and its not working at all, it was working ok but sometimes you had to put the disk in a few times for it to read so I decided to update to E113 from dell’s site and all seemed better until I tried to burn a movie and it wouldn’t work so I went back to E112 but now it does nothing doesn’t read doesn’t write at best it reads CD ROMs sometimes and blank media and that’s all! Did I kill my drive? is there anything I can do? I saw above someone said to crossflash it with buffalo firmware, which specific buffalo firmware should be used with this drive? It’s already pretty much dead and I’ll probably need a new drive so it can’t get much worse!
Anxiously awaiting a response!!!

hi i have a dell dimension 5150 im no computer wizz but can u answer please!! i put a blank dvd into my dvd rw and it doesnt pick it up on WMP i dont use any other burner i have updated my firmware to HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B E113 or summut like that rebooted like it stated and its still not working any idea’s please let me know