HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N Problem!

Hey all. Here is my Prob. I was trying to install my cam from a disk and the DVD/CD-writer just wont work. Went to Device Manager and there is a warning on it in the list. Says it maybe corrupted. Tried many things to get it up and running again, but no go. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

What OS are you using, and under the drive’s Properties in Device Manager, is there an error code?

Welcome to the forum BTW :slight_smile:

[quote=Arachne;1952599]What OS are you using, and under the drive’s Properties in Device Manager, is there an error code?

Welcome to the forum BTW :)[/quote]

What is OS? The error code is 39

Operating system. Doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

Go to the link in my signature (“How to delete your upper and lower filters”) - that will take you to an MS support page with instructions. If you’re wary of manually editing the Windows registry, there is also a Guided Help you can download from there.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks muchly! That is what I was lookin’ for.

[quote=Arachne;1952599]What OS are you using, and under the drive’s Properties in Device Manager, is there an error code?

Welcome to the forum BTW :)[/quote]

HI im also new here and have the same LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N Driver as TCLee2112 but when i try any disk (movie that always used to work or a game that never didn’t work) it says “Insert a disk Please insert a disk into drive F:” Then i tried what you said too TCLee2112 but when i open my properties there is not error code. I just bought Halo 2 for vista and i have Vista Home Premium but the same thing happens. If you have any idea what i should do please reply asap.:confused::a:sad:

Thanks for this cause it really did help me alot.

[QUOTE=nauthoa;1957675]HI im also new here and have the same LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N Driver as TCLee2112 but when i try any disk (movie that always used to work or a game that never didn’t work) it says “Insert a disk Please insert a disk into drive F:” Then i tried what you said too TCLee2112 but when i open my properties there is not error code. I just bought Halo 2 for vista and i have Vista Home Premium but the same thing happens. If you have any idea what i should do please reply asap.:confused::a:sad:[/QUOTE]

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.
Back to the top

do all that but i think you will only find the lowerfilter only so just delete that and reboot.

hey every1

i have a similar problem with the same drive… i have the “HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-H55N” from LG. My drive simply does not work. i cannot: Open dvds, cds, burn dvds, or cds… :frowning:
i assume that a driver for this drive should help me… but i’ve been googling desperately nd cant find one that works…
any and all help is greatly appreciated

pues la verdad es q tengo una unidad de dvd HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20N la utilizo cada 15 en un promedio de 30 cd’s qumados formato dvd hay algunos formatos q no me reconoce la unidad como lo es la marca huskee.agradeceria a la persona q me diga como cambiarle las opciones de escritura de los cd grfacias nos vemos!!!

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N Problem!!!

[QUOTE=garotu;2109547]HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N Problem!!![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You might like to specify what the problem is with your drive, so we can help you. :wink:

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N and I have been getting I\O errors with it. I thought since the drive that was on the same IDE cable as it was doing the same thing, however it started working after I changed the master/slave/cableselect settings then changed them back. The disk drive itself recognizes CD’s and DVD’s, and it will allow me to view the file contents on the disks as well. However I cannot actually open any of the files on the disk( i.e. cant open a video and watch it, cant view pictures or open word files). If I try to copy them to the desktop I get an I\O error.

I have the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N also and the only problem I have with it, is that it only burns rewritable DVDs. My computer freezes when I try to burn non rewritable DVD’s. It works fine with Verbatim or Fujifilm DVD -RW or + RW that I’ve used. I’ve tried to burn on Memorex DVD-R and a cheap brand and my computer froze. Is there something I can do to fix that ? I have Windows ME.

[QUOTE=nappingirl;2261095]I have the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N also and the only problem I have with it, is that it only burns rewritable DVDs. My computer freezes when I try to burn non rewritable DVD’s. It works fine with Verbatim or Fujifilm DVD -RW or + RW that I’ve used. I’ve tried to burn on Memorex DVD-R and a cheap brand and my computer froze. Is there something I can do to fix that ? I have Windows ME.[/QUOTE]
Hi nappingirl and welcome,

First off, pick up some quality dvd media. Memorex is mostly crap with few exceptions, particularly in the last couple years or so.
Verbatim is good quality and easy to find (and as cheap as the marginal stuff…just look for the sales) either at the usual brick & mortar stores or online.
Taiyo Yuden is superb media, but only available online…to most of the world anyway.

What type of files are you burning? and with what software?

If you could post some additional info it will help us nail it down and save a lot of guess work.
Please post a couple of burn logs from your successful burns to the RW’s and also post what you have from the failed attempts.

Sorry, the site is glitchy and I posted twice…

Thanks for the welcome, the reply and the recommandations on dvds.

I’ve been trying to burn movies (vob files) with Easy DVD Creator 1.7.3 and with Nero Express 6.

It works fine when I burn on a Verbatim DVD+RW 1X to 4X and with Fujifilm DVD-RW or +RW 1X to 2X.

My computer froze when I’ve tried to burn Memorex DVD-R 16 x and a cheap brand that was -R and 16 X also if I recall correctly. I’ve given the cheap brand to my sister and she was able to burn on all the 25 DVDs (so it hadn’t burn nothing at all before freezing) and I had my ex-boyfriend burn the vob files I had on my rewritables on the 10 Memorex DVD-R that made my computer froze also. So the problems were not the DVDs.

I thought it could be a speed problem but I’ve just tried the same Memorex DVD-R 16 x that froze my computer when I’ve tried to burn on and that were burned with the files from my rewritables from my exboyfriend’s computer. So it reads and plays them but won’t burn on them.

I will buy some non rewritable Verbatim that happen to be on sale for the next 3 days and try those. I bet they will make my computer freeze also… We will see…

How do I get burn logs of the successful and unsuccessful attempts ? I will gladly post them once I know how to get them.

It’s getting tough to find programs compatible with Windows ME. I will have to buy a new computer sooner or later but in the meanwhile I have to work with what I have and it would be great if I could burn on non rewritable DVDs instead of going here and there to have others burn from my rewritables for me.

Thanks again !

Hello guyzzzz…i am also using HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N…
the problem is it reads only certain disk’s…like only few DVD’s n CD’s…
some times it wont even detect a BLANK CD…if at all by luck it reads then i try to burn then it tells “LEAD IN error”…pls help me guyzzz…

[QUOTE=Arachne;1952619]Operating system. Doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

Go to the link in my signature (“How to delete your upper and lower filters”) - that will take you to an MS support page with instructions. If you’re wary of manually editing the Windows registry, there is also a Guided Help you can download from there.

Good luck! :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much it worked perfectly for me…if only more fixes from microsoft would work so well… anyway thanks again

[QUOTE = nauthoa; 1957675] HI soy nuevo aquí y también tienen el mismo LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N conductor como TCLee2112 pero cuando intento cualquier disco (película que siempre se usa para el trabajo o un juego que nunca ¿No trabajo de t) que dice “Inserte un disco Por favor, introduzca un disco en la unidad F:” Luego intenté lo que ha dicho también TCLee2112 pero cuando abro mis propiedades no hay código de error. Acabo de comprar Halo 2 para Vista y tengo Vista Home Premium, pero sucede lo mismo. Si usted tiene alguna idea de lo que debo hacer por favor lo antes posible respuesta.:confused::a:sad:[/ QUOTE]