HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N burning problem

vbimport

Hello,

I have the HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N dvd burner and it has now started to fail burning. This has happened before and i replaced it last time but i want to know if i can fix it without buying a new dvd burner.

When i burn ( using Nero 6) it burns but reports problems at data vertification stage. If i disable the data vertification it still reports an error. I am using LG DVD+RW discs at 2.4 x. My dvd burner is set to master and it is on a secondary IDE channel with 1 other CD/DVD player on the samd IDE channel.

It was working before but now it isn’t. I also updated my firmware to see if it would solve my problem. I updated it from 1.02 to 1.05 but i had no luck. When i updated my firmware i noticed my burner started making noises for a couple of days and it might have gotten slower but i could be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have 2 nero logs (zip files) that could help :

The H55N does not support 2.4x burns. Trying to do it myself resulted in about the same error factor. It will switch the burn to 4x. If it says its burning at 2.4x the software is lying to you. It can burn 2x-3x DVD-RAM. But because of write verification with DVD-RAM the burn is actually around 1.3x avg. . I was using DVD+R DL 2.4x . I did get some successful burns even though it was burning at 4x. I created an .NRG image first then burned it with the NERO CD/DVD ‘Create Disc’ and it worked. I never bought anything lower than 4x for the H55 drive again.

Shutdown and remove the DVD drive. Remove the 4 Phillips head screws from the bottom and remove the bottom plate. Use a large paperclip to push into the small hole in the front to release the tray, and extend the tray all the way out.

Now take a flat screw driver to push in the three tabs that hold the face plate, and remove ( the tray will hold it ).

Remove the top cover. Inspect the inside. Take a can of air and gently (from a distance) blow out and dust, etc. Be careful not to damage the laser lens.

Look at the rails and worm screw that control the laser position. Clean these. I used WD-40 on a cotton cloth.

Time to lube. Silicone spray lube is good, yet my favorite is Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. If using this follow instructions to shake well and let the Teflon dry after application.

You want to lube both rails and the worm screw.

Gently, yet firmly, move the laser sled back and forth the full extent of the rails until it moves very easily.

Now you gently clean the laser lens (90% isopropyl will do) and reassemble the DVD. Re-install.

i have the same kind of dvd burner drive except my problem is that it only burns the projdect half way, i know that it isn’t the burner because i dissconected it from my computer and tried it on another computer and it worked fine i also checked the system for viruses and there is nothing there i’m getting frustrated with this problem, i haven’t been able to burn a dvd for months, the confusing part is that it works with dvd+rw and burning music cds

[QUOTE=DLW;2188340]The H55N does not support 2.4x burns. Trying to do it myself resulted in about the same error factor. It will switch the burn to 4x. If it says its burning at 2.4x the software is lying to you. It can burn 2x-3x DVD-RAM. But because of write verification with DVD-RAM the burn is actually around 1.3x avg. . I was using DVD+R DL 2.4x . I did get some successful burns even though it was burning at 4x. I created an .NRG image first then burned it with the NERO CD/DVD ‘Create Disc’ and it worked. I never bought anything lower than 4x for the H55 drive again.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU, i read your post and said to myself, that can’t be it. Tried heaps of things with no luck…Then i headed to the stores (to buy some Cd’s becuase) and decided to also buy 10 Verbatim 4 - 16 x Dvd -r.

Tried it and worked like a charm…Thanks for your help, BTW, i was burning at 4x.