Hl-dt-st ca30n

vbimport

Hi Everyone,

Anyone got any suggestions to fix a HL-DT-ST CA30N?

For some reason i can burn every now and then but cannot read any CD’s, DVD’s or Blu-Rays.

I am only posting as i really do not wan’t to fork out for another drive as i am looking at replacing the machine.

It all started when i upgrade to Windows 10…

Yes i have done a format and reinstall.

Yes i am comfortable dismantling my laptop - I work in IT as a Computer Technician (well that’s my title more a system engineer company only want’s to pay at tech level to keep costs down).

i am willing to do firmware updates, registry mods, etc.

So a bit more info.
Yes I have checked and their is no filters. in Actual fact silly me most likely did more harm then good to the registry for cd drives.

The Drive in question only detects as a cd-rom drive in device manager. So if anyone could help me in getting this sorted or even reading Discs until such time i can afford to replace the laptop. (limited space cannot have desktop)

Aida64 Engineer:
Host ID LUN Device Type Vendor Model Rev Extra Information
00 02 00 Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA30N

Optical Drive Properties
Buffer Size 2 MB
Device Description CD-ROM Drive
Firmware Date 17/07/2009
Firmware Revision A102
Region Code 4
Remaining User Changes 4
Remaining Vendor Changes 4
Serial Number K0IB4R90249

Supported Disk Types
BD-R Read
BD-RE Read
BD-ROM Read
CD-R Read + Write
CD-ROM Read
CD-RW Read + Write
DVD+R Read + Write
DVD+R9 Dual Layer Read + Write
DVD+RW Read + Write
DVD+RW9 Dual Layer Not Supported
DVD-R Read + Write
DVD-R9 Dual Layer Read + Write
DVD-RAM Read + Write
DVD-ROM Read
DVD-RW Read + Write
DVD-RW9 Dual Layer Not Supported
HD DVD-R Not Supported
HD DVD-R Dual Layer Not Supported
HD DVD-RAM Not Supported
HD DVD-ROM Not Supported
HD DVD-RW Not Supported
HD DVD-RW Dual Layer Not Supported

Optical Drive Features
AACS Supported
BD CPS Not Supported
Buffer Underrun Protection Supported
C2 Error Pointers Not Supported
CD+G Not Supported
CD-Text Supported
CPRM Supported
CSS Supported
DVD-Download Disc Recording Not Supported
Hybrid Disc Supported
JustLink Not Supported
LabelFlash Not Supported
Layer-Jump Recording Not Supported
LightScribe Not Supported
Mount Rainier Not Supported
OSSC Not Supported
Qflix Recording Not Supported
SecurDisc Not Supported
SMART Not Supported
VCPS Not Supported

Might your laptop manufacturer have an updated firmware available for it? In addition, are there any driver updates for the rest of the hardware in the system?

And if you were to roll back to a previous version of Windows (or, say, dual boot Linux), you’re sure it would work?

[QUOTE=Albert;2763235]Might your laptop manufacturer have an updated firmware available for it? In addition, are there any driver updates for the rest of the hardware in the system?

And if you were to roll back to a previous version of Windows (or, say, dual boot Linux), you’re sure it would work?[/QUOTE]

Firmware says it is for a CA31 and is not compatible with my laptop.
No Driver Updates (i update as soon as new one comes available)

Windows Boot Cd’s work e.g. My windows 7 Genuine Microsoft DVD works in the drive in Windows 10 :~
Yet Fallout 4, Star craft, VSO software, microsoft book discs, smartdraw, etc do not work.

I would say that it’s because Microsoft dropped support for some copy protection schemes, but out of that list of software & games I would think some (if not all) should work.

I would say try to use generic Microsoft drivers for the SATA controller, but I can imagine the OS wouldn’t like the switch. And if you can still burn, I doubt the drivers for the SATA controller would be a problem.

Hmm… And you said you’ve tried a fresh Win10 installation with no extra software installed?

Does the drive even fail to work in Safe Mode?

[QUOTE=Albert;2763344]I would say that it’s because Microsoft dropped support for some copy protection schemes, but out of that list of software & games I would think some (if not all) should work.

I would say try to use generic Microsoft drivers for the SATA controller, but I can imagine the OS wouldn’t like the switch. And if you can still burn, I doubt the drivers for the SATA controller would be a problem.

Hmm… And you said you’ve tried a fresh Win10 installation with no extra software installed?

Does the drive even fail to work in Safe Mode?[/QUOTE]

The drive as per earlier only works with the discs i mentioned and yes boot cd’s work.

Just cannot read anything properly.
Burning discs seems to be sporadic some successful others fail.
Yes i did a FULL refresh and still the same issue.

Microsoft’s Response was that it was a Compatibility issue and that they are still working on improving Hardware Compatibility for Windows 10.

Like if someone could find and/or link some Ca30 firmware e.g. 0002 i would install it on the drive. I am willing buy a new drive but i would rather put that money towards a new lappy.

[QUOTE=notto;2763310]Firmware says it is for a CA31 and is not compatible with my laptop.
No Driver Updates (i update as soon as new one comes available)

Windows Boot Cd’s work e.g. My windows 7 Genuine Microsoft DVD works in the drive in Windows 10 :~
Yet Fallout 4, Star craft, VSO software, microsoft book discs, smartdraw, etc do not work.[/QUOTE]

Ok fed up with this thing.
Updated to Windows 10 update roll up 2 or whatever you would like to call it and still does not work. At least it shows correctly in device manager now.

So i have just bought a Panasonic UJ-265 to replace it.

thanks for your assistance.

I’m sorry you had to go that route, but I hope the replacement Panasonic works well.

[QUOTE=Albert;2763506]I’m sorry you had to go that route, but I hope the replacement Panasonic works well.[/QUOTE]

Yep the panasonic works wonders.

Mods please close.