Hitachi 7K400 SATA 400GB getting cheaper

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20041113/p_hdd.html

Rapidly falling.

Hitachi 300GB SCSI finally available in Tokyo as well. For nearly US$1,500, but don’t be surprised. The latest HDD and workstation motherboard products in Tokyo cost a lot more than in the US.

I’ll trust Hitachi as soon as a reasonable number people have owned their new Deskstars for their entire warranty period without a problem. It’s very possible Hitachi has fixed the issues IBM had entirely, but IMO they haven’t made that clear enough yet.

Maxtor now has an Atlas 300GB 10krpm SCSI available too, with FDB technology. I think it’s a lot cheaper than that $1,500 price.

And how are you going to follow it up?
//Danne

Well, the latest Hitachi-IBM SCSI HDD actually died right a few years ago after using it for a few hours, without writing and reading too much and it wasn’t my first IBM HDD that suddenly died. :slight_smile:

But, still, the 300GB size is fantastic for a SCSI 10K RPM drive, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

The price is for the Japanese market. South Korean price is also very high, even higher than the Japanese price. US price should be a lot lower. Supermicro and Tyan dual-CPU motherboards cost least in the US market and same for such high-end SCSI HDDs. Of course, when Maxtor 300GB SCSI drives start appearing in the mass market in the US, it will be more like US$1,000 per unit and it will approach US$500 after some time. Meanwhile, 76GB and 144GB SCSI drives are already as affordable as the mainstream IDE HDDs in the late 1990s.

Admittedly there’s only so much I can do on top of reading StorageReview’s reliability surveys over time, and keeping track of others’ experiences. For now, I’ve had the best long-term luck with Western Digital for IDE drives, and I’m sticking to them. I’d choose Seagate if I was going the SCSI server route, and consider the Maxtor if I needed desktop SCSI.

You have a Seagate DAT drive in your PC. Wow.

I wouldn’t rely on SR’s Reliability Surveys since they’re most likely biased and the coverage is very small. It would be more interesting to get RMA statistics from lets say newegg.com or another large retailer.
//Danne

Up until this past week. Seagate Scorpion I believe, DDS-2. Nothing special, I got a deal on it new and at the time I needed system backup. DDS-3 drives were already standard, and 8GB with hardware compression was reasonable back when I bought it.

I’m trying to ditch SCSI from my system, not because I don’t like it, but because it became too expensive and impractical for desktop use. Used to have an all-SCSI system: Zip, the Seagate, two 9.1GB hard disks, Plextor 40x CD, Yamaha 8424S CDRW, HP Scanjet 4c. SCSI has fallen out of the desktop market; I don’t even know that a SCSI DVD burner exists, and CD burners topped out around Plextor’s 12x point or so. Also, IRQ conflicts aren’t as likely as they used to be what with APIC appearing on the scene. At the time, I needed all of those devices in my system, plus a sound card, video card, TV tuner card, printer port, and a COM port for an external USR Courier modem. The only really good way to cut down on IRQ usage was to use SCSI.

I just rebuilt my system, it’s about 95% done (still working on noise reduction and a couple of minor issues, then I’ll update my sig and maybe post pictures) in an Antec P160 case. If I can get an IDE Zip to work on my Promise FastTrak controller, or if I win the lottery and can replace my hard disks with SATA, SCSI is guaranteed to go bye-bye. I have a digital camera now so I hooked the scanner to my wife’s system, she gets more use out of it. The DDS-2 drive just doesn’t cut it for backup anymore, I’m hoping Blu-Ray recorders will be reasonably priced at some point, in the meantime I’ll back up important files to DVD. Maybe I’ll build a low-end file server out of my remaining stuff; otherwise it goes to Ebay.

And Diz: You’re right. I don’t know anyone at NewEgg, however.
:slight_smile: