His Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro Problem

Hi, i recently bought a His Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro. When i tried to install it in my pc, it wasn’t fitting so i made some adjustments and then when i turned on the pc it started beeping after every 5 seconds and the monitor was completely blank. So are there any suggestions? by the way these are my pc’s specs, Sony Vaio Pcv RX2D, Pentium 4 1.70 ghz, 1536mb ram ddr.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What do you mean that it wasn’t fitting? Are you sure that you installed the card in the right slot? What adjustments did you do exactly?

That card, moreover, requires also that you plug the power connector from the PSU, so check that the power connector is plugged correctly :slight_smile:

it didn’t fit because, it has an extra cooling fan with had a switch which was a bit too big to fit in.

What about the power plug?

Did you install also the drivers? You should first uninstall the older VGA drivers.

i tried again today and it fit in perfectly, but still it beeped when i turned it on and i did remove the old drivers and i also plugged in the power supply.

I wonder if that VGA is incompatible with the mainboard.

If I remember correctly, there are different versions of the AGP slot, with different voltages, so if the new card requires a voltage that the mainboard is not able to provide this can explain the malfunctioning.

I’m not able to find specifications of the mainboard so I can’t confirm this :frowning:

well maybe the motherboard doesn’t support it but my existing card is a nvidia geforce 2 Ti and it works perfect, i think its a agp 4x and the radeon is a agp 8x and maybe the motherboard can only support agp 4x.

It should be possible to check if your mainboard supports AGP 8x using this software.

This software doesn’t require installation and will give information about all the hardware.

Can you install again the old VGA card temporarily just to run the test?

I am assuming that this is a German Sony Model?

What Bios do you have?

How many beeps?

Long beeps or short beeps or both?

:cool::cool:

well yes it is the old german sony model i bought it about 7-8 years ago and used it in genuine condition for 6 years and then i upgraded the ram from 256mb to 1536mb and now i recently bought the radeon 9800 and when i installed it and turned it on it gave short beeps.

heres info on the pc:

Model: Sony Vaio PCV-RX2D

Bios: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.70 GHz

Memory: 1536MB RAM DDR PC3200

geno888 thanks for the SIW, i checked it and it was a AGP 4x

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The His Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro has a bus interface of AGP 8X/4X. So in theory the card should work in your 4x AGP slot. The down side is that you will be only using half of the pipelines on the video card.

What is the wattage of your power supply?

What is the voltage setting in your Bios for the AGP slot?

What version is the AGP slot - 1.0,2.0 or 3.0?

I know there have been issues with Intel chip-sets regarding this.

:cool::cool:

well i am no experts in computers, so i dont really know all of that, because since i bought it the only thing i changed is the ram. so could you tell how i could check all of that?

hi, i have a sony pc as mentioned above and i was wondering if there is a way i can change my AGP slot voltage.

You’ll have to look in the bios and see if this is an option with this particular motherboard. To enter the bios on this computer, I believe you hit F2 as it boots up. (from the online user’s guide I found: ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Desktops/RX2/RX2_H_UK.pdf )

Do you have a specific reason for changing the voltage setting? This is not normally something you need to adjust.

AGP voltages are “hardcoded”. Depending on the AGP version, there are 0.8V, 1.5V, and 3.3V for ancient systems.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp#Versions and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp#Compatibility

Michael

Back in the nforce2 days, when I was running an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, there was a bios available that would allow you to increase the voltage to the AGP slot, up to 1.8v on what would normally be a 1.5v AGP slot. Here is an example of one of those: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227890

Now, what good it does you, I don’t know. I never adjusted the voltage to the AGP slot.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2548410]Back in the nforce2 days, when I was running an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, there was a bios available that would allow you to increase the voltage to the AGP slot, up to 1.8v on what would normally be a 1.5v AGP slot. .[/QUOTE]Perhaps for Overclockers :eek:

Michael

the reason i want to increase it is because i have a geforce 2 ti grafic card and i recently bought a radeon 9800 pro , when i installed it on the pc it turned on but the screen was black and the pc was beeping so i guessed that if i increased the voltage the beeping would stop and the card would work