HighQ DVD+-R DL disks with “hard coating” for less than $2/disk?

I am trying to backup all my media, docs, etc and I calculated that it will take a whole bunch of disks so I am trying to find the “optimal” media. My criteria (assuming such disks even exist) is that it be DVD (+ or – is fine, but I prefer +) R, be Dual/Double Layer (ie 8.5GB), and have a “hard coating” like Blu-ray disks (example: is Verbatim DataLifePlus, Memorex DuraLayer, TDK Durabis, etc) all this for less than the insane $2/disk price I have seen most regular DL disks.

… and if I can’t have all the above I’ll settle for quality (verbatim?) DVD-+R DL disks for $1 or less per disk.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

PS Should i have posted this to another forum or is it possible to cross-post?

Hi gaiko, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

The Newbie forum is an appropriate place to ask this question, but there’s a good chance you’d get more replies in our Blank Media forum. If you like, we can move your thread there.

Cross-posting is against our rules.

Hmmm, good thing i asked (some places don’t seem to mind cross posting). Yes, if you feel that i would get a better response on the Blank Media forum i would certainly appricate your moving this to that forum. Thanks so much!

Cheers

-Gaiko

It’s often good to not put all eggs into one basket. So I would use 2 brands of discs (Verbatim, …) and create one backup on each brand. Most people here say that the only good double layer disc is Verbatim. But they most probably use double layer discs for movies only. For other data single layer dvds are safer and cheaper. So I’d choose those.

You want DL discs WITH a hard scratch poof coating right? I don’t know if those even exist.

Also, wanting something like that for less than $2 a disc is a nice dream.

You best bet is to backup using SL verbatim media. They have hard coated discs which are regular 8x -R verbatim but with scratch proof coating. They also have gold archive discs with a scratch poof coating so they supposedly last longer and are also scratch proof.

I’d just hit up some of the regular verbatim scratch proof 8x -R discs and burn important data onto those. Of course if it’s ultra critical, also use another brand of discs to make a secondary backup.

Thanks to [B]cd pirate[/B] for saying all the things I wanted to say, thus sparing me the hard work of actually typing it. :cool:

Oh well, i wasn’t sure if it was a pipe dream or not. I have been going the DVD+R route which is much cheaper but i have just gone over 470 disks, its a bit of a pain so if i could shrink it down a bit that would have been nice.

@ gaiko … jesus christ man! 470 discs? wtf are you burning, the entire internet? lol

p.s. just had to say something cause 470 discs is ALOT especially for DVD recordables :wink:

but anyways more on topic… i would pretty much agree with cd pirate as the 2 backups on 2 different brands of discs (verbatim/ty) would be great if the data is CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE type data :wink: … but since u got 470+ discs already burned… doing 2 backups is probably out of the question for you.

also it might not be a bad idea in your case since you have SOOOO much data to backup onto 1 set of discs like u already did and then use a external hard drive and make a backup onto that… cause i figure the odds of that external hdd failing and the discs are probably pretty slim :wink:

but then again if i calculated that right your already over 2TB worth of data … so the hard drive option might get expensive since to get that much storage without a using a billion hard drives it would get rather expensive just getting something like 2 1TB hard drives.

but damn, not that it’s any of my business but what exactly do you have that you actually NEED 470discs of critical data? :wink:

Gaiko, if you seriously have like 10TB of data to backup or something, you should store it on hard drives and wait will blue ray is much cheaper. :stuck_out_tongue:

You might want to invest in a DAT-backup device for that amount of data. You can store up to 400GB on one tape (depending on what model you get) and the price per GB is dirt cheap. I even think the DAT-tapes are more reliable than your average DVD disc.

Tape can be good for backing up large amounts of data.

Tape suffers from its own problems such as e.g. tape jam / tape salad which cannot happen with CD/DVD media.

[QUOTE=NBR;1913695]@ gaiko … jesus christ man! 470 discs? wtf are you burning, the entire internet? lol

p.s. just had to say something cause 470 discs is ALOT especially for DVD recordables :wink:

but anyways more on topic… i would pretty much agree with cd pirate as the 2 backups on 2 different brands of discs (verbatim/ty) would be great if the data is CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE type data :wink: … but since u got 470+ discs already burned… doing 2 backups is probably out of the question for you.

also it might not be a bad idea in your case since you have SOOOO much data to backup onto 1 set of discs like u already did and then use a external hard drive and make a backup onto that… cause i figure the odds of that external hdd failing and the discs are probably pretty slim :wink:

but then again if i calculated that right your already over 2TB worth of data … so the hard drive option might get expensive since to get that much storage without a using a billion hard drives it would get rather expensive just getting something like 2 1TB hard drives.

but damn, not that it’s any of my business but what exactly do you have that you actually NEED 470discs of critical data? ;)[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah its a sh*t load of stuff, but I’ma RAW photo, Panoramic (largest is a 3 gb panoramic .psb) Flac music, and HD video freak so the GBs add up quickly. Critical is of course subjective but i really don’t want to loose this stuff, it took me forever to rip all my CDs (100s) to FLAC I backed up most of my DVDs (not 100s but enough to be sure) and so on so there is alot of time invested here.

Yeah considerin the number of disks it would take me a dogs age to make backups.

As for the external drive, i have been seriously considering two hitachi/seagate/westernd 1tb drives and the D-Link DNS-323 but i was still hoping to use a separate media like dbl lyr DVDs or BD or HDDVD…

You are right about the 2tb and all the options i mentioned above would cost serious (for my measly budget) money; like $600+

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1913970]Gaiko, if you seriously have like 10TB of data to backup or something, you should store it on hard drives and wait will blue ray is much cheaper. :p[/QUOTE]

yeah, as i was kinda mentioning to NBR; i keep comming back to the Hrd drv option but it would take a serious tower with a ton of bays to fill up with 500gb drives (the economy route) or a chunk of money to go with a NAS option (which I would prefer but can barely afford).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1914015]Tape can be good for backing up large amounts of data.

Tape suffers from its own problems such as e.g. tape jam / tape salad which cannot happen with CD/DVD media.[/QUOTE]

@ zeldorf & DrageMester

I used tape waaaay back in the day (when CD-ROM drives were SCSI only and $900 min) and pretty much hated them. Tape salad aside i learned that tape is more or less propritary so a tape that fits in one drive won’t fit in another drive etc, it makes the BD and HDDVD debacle seem like a non-issue.

Tape is indeed probably the cheapest route but i have been stuck with old tapes i needed to access data on and a broken drive… its usually more trouble than i want to go to :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion though!

[quote=gaiko;1917866] Tape salad aside i learned that tape is more or less propritary so a tape that fits in one drive won’t fit in another drive etc, it makes the BD and HDDVD debacle seem like a non-issue.[/quote] Agreed. DAT is pobably the tape format that’s been supported the longest, but many other tape formats have gone to the lands of the unsupported, and having your data on tape and no drive to read the tape is no better than not having the data at all.

I predict there will be drives that can read CDs and DVDs for a long time to come, so if the discs themselves are good, there won’t be a problem reading the data anytime soon.

The same may not be true for a proprietary tape format.