Highest possible quality format for SD Video on BD

vbimport

This is maybe not directly Nero Linux related, but yet:

A 50GB Blu-ray disk has room for over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video and about 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video.
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_capacity_video
Blu-ray players also is said to be capable to scale up SD Video to 1080i/p on a full HDTV (though the lossy MEPG2 copression may also uncover even more visible artifacts when objects or camcorder are moving)
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_backwards_compatible

I guess “SD Video” format here is the same as DVD Video at high MPEG2 compression about 1:20 and 1-8 Mbps data rate.

My raw video footage is SD DV (DV25) at compression 1:5, which isn’t a supported codec on Blu-ray as far as I know.

However, with so much storage capacity available on BD-R disks, I wonder what is really the highest quality SD Video format one can create, burn to and playback on BD-R disks? That is, the lowest possible (MPEG2) compression and highest data rate?

At last, will connections using phono, S-Video, RGB composit or HDMI between BD-player and HDTV make any quality difference for this SD Video playback?

To add more info to my initial post:

I think also the encoder is an important factor for the resulting video quality. However I’ve read that con/prosumers won’t have a chance to come close to the professional DVD Video quality made in studios, both due to their advanced and multiple encoding process and next due to their high quality source footage.

My digital starting point is PAL DV 720x576, 25 f/s, 4:3 aspect ratio. This is already encoded using 4:2:0 color sampling and such be suited for transcoding to MPEG-2 SD Video. DVD video of max 9.8 Mbps bitrate does apply the MP@ML profile, which however has a defined upper bitrate of 15 Mbps.

As known, DV25 uses a fixed bitrate of 25 Mbps at 1:5 compression, which results in a data rate of 3.6 MB/s. In comparison DVD Video has a data rate of about 1 MB/s, which is almost 1:20 or four times the compression of DV25.

In reality, my DV is also converted from analog Hi8 footages. Although a highend A/D converter and TBC were used, already at this lesser DV compression, some quality degradations as artifacts and noise (grain) are visible when upscaled on a 1920 x1080 LCD. I don’t know why the colors in general become darker using DV playback, in comparision with the analog Hi8 source, even I did adjust colors and brightness using a color corrector/processor during monitoring the A/D conversion. But this can be adjusted easily during post editing I expect.

The most noticeable is maybe a somewhat stuttering video and not smooth moving objects or from camcorder pan or tilt.

I think transcoding DV to DVD Video using MPEG-2, maybe more effective but yet harder and more lossy compression, beside the upscaling to 1080i HDTV during BD playback, probably will uncover even more of these artifacts.

BD-ROM HD movies require 54 Mbps bitrate (1.5x), while current BD players support 2x (72 Mbps) data and a few newer 4x data rate. BD’s Video bit rate is however 40 Mbps, which is four time DVD video’s bitrate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ra...Player_profiles

Therefore my simple thought was to utilize BD’s extended video bit rate (band width), beside a rich storage capacity, to get a higher quality SD Video than possible with DVD Video in practice.

Maybe this isn’t possible, maybe the above mentioned MP@ML 15 Mbps isn’t playback supported, and maybe another codec than MPEG-2 can be better?

I’ll add to my last post above:

Any suggestions or guides how to transcode DV25 files to MPEG2 according to MP@ML using CBR 15 Mbps?

This bitrate will exceed DVD video’s max 9.8 Mbps, but be well within BD Video’s 40 Mbps. Another question is if this SD Video will be playback compatible on a BD player?
What is clear however, is that MPEG-2 on BD isn’t limited to SD DVD Video, as it also can playback HD MPEG-2.

I’ve also noticed with interest Adam Wilt’s discussion about DV quality vs MPEG-2 as refered in the following sections from the DV-FAQ-Editing/Transcoding:

[I]I-frame-only MPEG-2 is said to be comparable to DV format compression at the same bit rate. Thus 25 megabit MPEG-2 should yield results (and transcoding errors) similar to DV, and 50 Megabit MPEG-2 should be comparable to DV50.

MPEG-2 at 25 Megabits should be roughly comparable to DV, though its 4:2:2 color sampling may be more beneficial for graphics. Are 25 Mbps MPEG-2’s benefits worth the transcoding hit coming from DV? It’s arguable: I’ve been comparing DV25 and MPEG-2 25Mbit, and can’t say I see a huge difference one way or the other. Both have their artifacts, and their tradeoffs.[/I]

http://adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-editing.html#transcoding