High writing speed vs quality

With all this increased speed of dvd writers (12x-16x on the way), how does this affect the quality of the data burned? I never write a movie dvd above 2x in my 8x writer because I don’t trust it (break ups etc) but what about data aswell? Can drives and media realy burn quality data on DVDs at 16X? Is it purely down to media/drive quality?

I’m curious about this as well cause I plan on writing data to DVDs at 2x even tho my NEC supports 8x.

There was a post awhile back that I can’t find that showed how decreasing speed TOO much had diminishing returns and in fact caused more errors! Hard to figure out what the optimum compromise is…

Anyone have that link or remember it?

The only way to answer this is by doing your own error scans and read tests. High speed media may well burn poorly at low speed, it depends on the burner and the media.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

The only way to answer this is by doing your own error scans and read tests.
That’s right.

Platinum DVD+R 4x ( by RiTEK R02 ) burnt @4x :

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 (RITEK…)
Disc TID = 52 30 32 (R02)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

So what about movie burning? I read somewhere that you should never burn over 2x? A friend of mine tried at 8x on TDK media (RiTEK i think) and it played fine on the PC but broke up on the DVD player. Is this poor media? It says to me that there are errors writting at that speed. Talking of RiTEK media, a lot of people seem to rate it, yet its one of the cheapest discs at my local stockists!

I read somewhere that you should never burn over 2x

You didn’t read that here. :wink: It’s totally an individual thing, do your own testing.

Originally posted by rendez2k

So what about movie burning? I read somewhere that you should never burn over 2x?
This is just a rumour that can be easily dispelled by taking another look at the scan above. :slight_smile:

As for RiTEK, the media is great. Although there is no need to taking it to the extreme,
like burning 4x rated discs @8x.
Besides, it is known that some standalone players ( especially the older ones )
can be very picky with the DVD±RW media.

So get some cheap RiTEKs from your local store, run the tests @ 2x and 4x and trust your own experience.

@BoSkin

I am amused at how Ritek makes some of the worst dye I ever seen for cdr’s yet such good quality for dvdr’s. Funny huh…:slight_smile:

Originally posted by xtacydima

I am amused at how Ritek makes some of the worst dye I ever seen for cdr’s
You must be kidding me ?

I don’t see what’s wrong with the [COLOR=blue]Phthalo dye ?
And when it comes to the KProbe scans of mine,
the RiTEK media has always shown the 2nd best outcomes ( after TY, of course ).

xtacydima, there really is no need to scary me like that.[/COLOR]

its all on the media. a little to do with the drive also.

heres an example

taiyo yuden 4x dvd-r burns better at 4x than at 1 or 2x.

princo 4x dvd-r burns better at 2x than both 4x and 1x.

its all the media. higher quality media is better at a wider range of speeds though.
You could argue that some burners are more compatible with other media. but in the end of the day, TY is good with all burners.

BTW, i doubt we will even see 16x dvd writers. maybe 10x or 12x. but not 16x. hell, they can barely make 8x media at the moment. I havent seen any in australia. i doubt they will even make 12x dvd writers.

Originally posted by cd pirate

a little to do with the drive also.

but in the end of the day, TY is good with all burners.

i doubt they will even make 12x dvd writers.
Yes

Yes

Plextor announces the PX-712A, 12x DVD±RW recorder

I stand corrected. but they probably wont make it to or get past 16x. (boskin produces plextor 16x article, DOH:( )

Philips said more than 16X won’t be possible.

seriously though, i burn at 2x with my princo. when i burn at 4x with TY it feels lightning quick. but the difference between 4x and higher speeds wont be as great as many think. 8x will take like 9-10 mins i bet. 12x might do 7-8 mins. not much time saved.

when i burn at 4x with TY it feels lightning quick.
but the difference between 4x and higher speeds wont be as great as many think.
8x will take like 9-10 mins i bet. 12x might do 7-8 mins.

I have been burning some movies recently at 2x on 2x DVD-Rs (Infiniti, media shows as SONY) yet the video breaks up in places. What causes this? Poor media? Poor players? Would burning at 1x be better? If video is breaking up would data be damaged too?

I stand corrected. but they probably wont make it to or get past 16x. (boskin produces plextor 16x article, DOH:( )

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9239 :wink:

seriously though, i burn at 2x with my princo. when i burn at 4x with TY it feels lightning quick. but the difference between 4x and higher speeds wont be as great as many think. 8x will take like 9-10 mins i bet. 12x might do 7-8 mins. not much time saved.

Yes and it is very logical, until 4X the writing is CLV. After it Z-CLV I think… CAV would be better but anyway, it means these burners are in fact 12X MAX and not 12X from the begining.

Originally posted by thibouille

After it Z-CLV I think… CAV would be better but anyway,

it means these burners are in fact 12X MAX and not 12X from the begining.
4x CLV is fine with me.

Z-CLV & P-CAV depending on the manufacturer & media format.

Of course, 12x is the end speed, since they start @ around 4x ;
likewise with the CD burners w their 20-22x @start & 48-52x in the end.

I stand corrected. but they probably wont make it to or get past 16x. (boskin produces plextor 16x article, DOH )

Funny. It’s what used to be said about cd-r, both by users and manufacturers.

Do you feel like explaining WHY it won’t make it past 16x ? :slight_smile: