High PIE/PIF leads to?

vbimport

A disc with high PIE/PIF is a poorly burned disc.

However, are the contents of the disc of actual poor quality?

For example, I have a disc with gives a very high PIE/PIF and the contents are videos. The videos did not show any outstanding difference from those in my computer.

Other then factors such disc longivity, what are truely affected by high PIE/PIF?

CoolieCool

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80545

Second post states that a transfer test will give a good indication of the quality.

If you can rip the disc with DVD Decrypter (without any errors) to your hard drive, your data is fine, even if the disc was maybe 40% quality score… you could then reburn to another disc at 99% quality that would play very well. PIE and PIF do have as much an impact on data. You can have very high PIE and PIF and still the data is fine, but it wouldn’t playback all that well on a standalone player. +R tends to pixelize while -R tends to freeze and skip.

I have started to scan 3 year old DVDs and although some produce really ugly scans with high but acceptable PIE/PIF scores none so far have been that bad that I could not rip and re-burn. Some have failed to rip in several drives but none have managed to fail the liteon test. My assumption is that a burn which starts out with high PIE/PIF may have higher figures more quickly and become more difficult to copy sooner. I have no evidence for this but can see no good reason to use junk DVD media just to test a theory.

Most would agree with you as there is evidence that errors increase over time and if you start with more, you will reach unreadability sooner.

To clarify something, PIE/PIF are errors that are correctible, PIE are easier and PIF go to a second level of error correction. If they are low enough and readable, the data is played back intact and should look as good as uncorrected data. Keep in mind, this is measured on a unique burner. The next player may not be as good or may be better.

Also, light, humidity, and damage increase these errors. Eventually all the discs we are burning will be unreadable as the errors increase beyond their ability to be corrected.

Yes, chas0039, such is life. The universe is expanding. All matter and therefore, naturally all data will cease to exist.
In the meantime, all I can say is pour me another and “Keep on Burnin’”!

Good sentiments, but the scientist in me has to disagree with one point…you cannot destroy matter; it will always exist in some form.

I don’t drink but as to burning, drop another platter in the tray. :clap:

…vehement cursing, pulling out one’s hair, kicking the cat, throwing chairs and various articles against walls inside the house, putting one’s fist through the sheetrock, and to running outside screaming in incoherent babblings about bitsetting, Princo, Ritek, Nero, overspeeding, WOPC, burn quality scans, high and ugly spikes after the 3.5 gb point in BenQ1640s… LOL!!! :bigsmile:

Blah! Sounds more like insanity…

Guys, I get totally different QS from the same disc using 2 drives…

I burned the disc using the 1640 and it gives much less errors then the reading from my liteon ltc 48161h… XD

CoolieCool

My understanding is that scans are best done with a DVD writer - the results from a player are not reliable ?

Yes, Harry - a writer is better for doing scans.

Not only unreliable, but generally a waste of time that will lead to more frustration. See Quema34 above.

lolzzzz…

This means that my CMC MAG E01 might burn (overspeed) with few PIE/PIF afterall…

Thanks,

CoolieCool