High PI errors- sh s182d - various media, ritek sl, verbatim dl etc

vbimport

I don’t know if its my DVDRW drive SH S182D or some other factors, but I get so much variance with PI errors. I mean with crappy SL discs I sometimes get 50 pi peak, with half decent discs 600, sometimes 100, and then the single test I did with Verbatim DL I got about 1100. I am using the 182D to read the discs as well as burn them, as my pc only had one drive and there was no room for my NEC IDE. Just seems to be so different with PI errors even with the same media.Any ideas why I might be getting this? I’m using the newest firmware, 0.6 I believe (the one from July 2007). I have no playback issues in any of my two dvd players though, Pioneer dv 600 or a Funai.

Cheers

What speed are you scanning at? My 182D is closest results wise to my other scanners at 4x. That said it depends on the 182D the earlier ones like mine were better scanners from what I’ve heard, yours could be a crap scanner.

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2039765]What speed are you scanning at? My 182D is closest results wise to my other scanners at 4x. That said it depends on the 182D the earlier ones like mine were better scanners from what I’ve heard, yours could be a crap scanner.[/QUOTE]

Well I’m reading at full speed, so I will try reading at a slower speed. What would you reccomend, 4x? Also, I got my pc made up last April and of course had that drive prefitted, so its about a year old at least.

Thanks for the reply.

PS I had some problems with dvdinfo program, so I had to remove it. As soon as I closed it, other programs couldn’t find the drive, and with dvdinfo I got an error saying about firmware problem. Now I’m trying to use nero cdspeed, but on the disc quality tab I can’t seem to do a test. The start button isn’t selectable.

Hi,[quote=joeb_uk;2039886]Well I’m reading at full speed, so I will try reading at a slower speed. What would you reccomend, 4x?[/quote]You might try. But please note that at least Samsungs 18x drives are not considered being reliable scanners.

Now I’m trying to use nero cdspeed, but on the disc quality tab I can’t seem to do a test. The start button isn’t selectable.
You might have a look into the Samsung mini-FAQ (see my signature) :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2039901]Hi,You might try. But please note that at least Samsungs 18x drives are not considered being reliable scanners.
You might have a look into the Samsung mini-FAQ (see my signature) :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ok I took your advice, and I installed Kprobe and it worked :slight_smile: and also I scanned at 4x, and was getting Pi max of about 15. So it seems that you were right.

When I do scans, should I select, remove the spike?

Anyway, good to know that the burns are ok (as other tests showed they were fine too, and no playback problems on my standalones).

Cheers

Seems like in my latest scan I have a very high Pi again:

What would this indicate? Or is it more of the Samsungs/Kprobe lack of reading quality…

Sorry, I’m having trouble understanding all this PI/PO stuff!

I wouldnt trust these scans that much.
My SH-S182D was a bad scanner.

See if you can scan that disc with a LiteOn or BenQ burner.