High CPU usage causes 1640 fail to read in CAV

vbimport

Hi guys,

I have a Sony DRU-810A CFed to a Benq DW1640.

Couple of days ago when I checked the quality of a DVD that I burned, I got a curve like this:

I first thought it was it could be a problem with the disc. Then I tried few other discs and the results were identical. i was like wtf! LOOK AT THOSE CPU USAGE %s :eek:

The drive is connected to Asus P5B-E’s JMicron controller. That’s the only IDE controller it has got. Its SATA mode set to IDE mode.

In Vista device manager, Ultra DMA mode 2 is activated.

Any thoughts on what could be giving this high CPU usage? I’m pretty sure it is why I’m not getting a CAV curve. :sad:

Hi,[quote=Anusha;2088096]
I have a Sony DRU-810A CFed to a Benq DW1640.

Couple of days ago when I checked the quality of a DVD that I burned, I got a curve like this:[/quote]Looks like a bad burn for me. You might please do a Quality Scan at 8x and post here.

I first thought it was it could be a problem with the disc.(…)LOOK AT THOSE CPU USAGE %s :eek:

The drive is connected to Asus P5B-E’s JMicron controller. That’s the only IDE controller it has got. Its SATA mode set to IDE mode.

In Vista device manager, Ultra DMA mode 2 is activated.

Any thoughts on what could be giving this high CPU usage? I’m pretty sure it is why I’m not getting a CAV curve. :sad:
I suspect, the Jmicron controller is the culprit. You might either try Windows default driver or latest drivers from Jmicron and see, which of those works for you.
Another option would be to flash your 1640 to (external) 164B firmware. This will enable UDMA4 capability allowing the drive to be used in external enclosures. For internal use, an 80wired IDE cable is mandatory then.
And you can install a Silicon Image 0680 based IDE controller with Non-Raid Bios to connect your drive.

Michael

Check DMA.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2088194]Hi,Looks like a bad burn for me. You might please do a Quality Scan at 8x and post here.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think there is a problem with the burn.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2088194]I suspect, the Jmicron controller is the culprit. You might either try Windows default driver or latest drivers from Jmicron and see, which of those works for you.
Another option would be to flash your 1640 to (external) 164B firmware. This will enable UDMA4 capability allowing the drive to be used in external enclosures. For internal use, an 80wired IDE cable is mandatory then.
And you can install a Silicon Image 0680 based IDE controller with Non-Raid Bios to connect your drive.

Michael[/QUOTE]
I will try the 164B firmware and post results.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2088199]Check DMA.[/QUOTE]

Apparently UDMA Mode 2 is enabled for the drive, in Windows.

Something is wrong because I just checked mine and the below screenshot is my CPU usage. This test is extremely variable to what CPU you have installed.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2088297]Something is wrong because I just checked mine and the below screenshot is my CPU usage. This test is extremely variable to what CPU you have installed.[/QUOTE]
Yes I know the problem with the read curve is due to the very high CPU usage. I just don’t know what causes it. Because on the same PC it used to be like yours. See?

This is something i took a long time back, on the SAME PC! Wonder if something is wrong with the IDE cable I’m using.

I have a Core 2 Duo CPU at 2.8GHz.

OK I flashed to EW164B RPC1 BEGP firmware and here’s the result. It has deteriorated further!

I’ll try few things with the JMicron’s driver…

Here is what mine looks like, but it may be as easy as a new ribbon or cable.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2088309]Here is what mine looks like, but it may be as easy as a new ribbon or cable.[/QUOTE]
Will do after dinner :smiley: