Hiding updates in Windows 10

vbimport

I found a way to re-enable hiding updates in Windows 10. I had a problem when the default touchpad driver would load for my laptop. Every time I would install the one from the laptop manufacturer Windows update would overwrite it and I was caught in this vicious circle of uninstalling and re-installing to use the driver I wanted. MS offers a file named “wushowhide.diagcab” that allows updates to be hidden. Running this file shows pending updates and gives an option to hide them. It works, even if it is a little convoluted. Why MS took the ability to conveniently hide updates out of Windows 10 is baffling to me. The file can be downloaded here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Good to remind everyone about this one if they might need it UTR.

I wrote a little blurb about it last week: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-backing-away-from-forced-updates-76780/

I did not mean to be redundant. I did a half a$$ed search before posting and didn’t see anything on the subject but then again my wife says my searching skills leave much to be desired.

Not a problem from my perspective. Like I said, its good to have the information out here about this, since Microsoft is really not doing anything at all to advertise its existence.

Microsoft does seem to want to micromanage the use of Windows 10. They are still providing ways for people to break away from the guided tour, but you have to wonder how much longer they will put up with the tinkerers.

There has to be a reason they have taken this option away from the normal update window. I also find that they have made it more difficult to interface with how updates are dealt with in general since it isn’t as straightforward to get to the update window as is has been in the past.

If I had to guess, it might be due to many people skirting around updates that prevent MS from snooping, pushing software and/or adding DRM measures through the update process.

Thanks Guys this could help