Hi8 transfer from Sony CCD-TRV608 to PC streaming for DVD **Problem

I have a small business converting video media to DVD from tape and film. I’ve done everything but Hi8 up until this last two weeks. Seems I got 2 pretty large jobs and the customers both want Hi8 to DVD. I have a Sony CCD-TRV608 with USB streaming capability. I am using Pinnacles Studio 11 and have tried Sony Vegas 8 and Nero 8 Premium all with the same outcome…A choppy mess. I definitely need IEEE 1394 transfer, as this camcorder will not do the job for me.

Is there anything else I can purchase for a decent price “Today”, ie other camcorder, player with IEEE 1394 transfer ? I have to have these jobs done by next Tuesday.

Thanks to all in advance

You might want to try huffyuv to capture with, as it is a completely lossless avi capture, and see if that helps any. Also try booting up in safe mode before doing the transfer, as this eases any strains on the system, and makes for cleaner transfers. Make sure you have your software/OS on one HD, and a seperate HD for your video transfer, and defrag the HD before starting the capture. While Firewire is the most recommend transfer method, there is no reason that you shouldn’t be able to get a clean usb capture.

Everyone,

I was able to use my CCD-TRV608 Sony camcorder using Vista SP2 with the latest updates from Microsoft. Try the following:

1. Make sure that your camcorder is [B]not[/B] connected to your PC!!

2. Download the XP drivers for the CCD-TRV608 camcorder from Sony and [B]save[/B] them to your hard drive. Do [U]not[/U] run them yet. (You will probably get an error message if you do):

Sony eSupport - CCD-TRV608 - Software Updates & Drivers

1. Right-click on each of the .exe files, then select Properties, and then the Compatibility tab. Check the “Run this program…” and use the Windows XP (Service Pack 2) default value. Also, check the “Run as Administrator” box below.

2. Once done, run the program for USB driver for connection followed by the USB Streaming Update Utility, and then follow directions to reboot your computer.

3. Go out to the following:

Video-editing software ? Corel VideoStudio Pro X2

1. Download your free, 30-day trial of Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 software. If the program works, pay for it! It is worth every penny.

2. Run the program, and click Movie Wizard, and then select Capture. Your Sony camcorder should be visible to the program. Be sure to check out the options section. I set mine up to use the DVD SP. I believe that the default is the DVD EP.

Good Luck!

Don

Thank you for the posting!
I think your tip is much better than others on the web.
I did install SONY USB driver program on my VISTA OS and the update utility as well. But I still can’t find my camcorder from the sources in Corel VideoStudio program. Even after successful installatio of drivers, the pc can’t recognize my CCD-TRV608.
What do you think I might have done wrong?
Hope you can get me out of this trouble.

Wally

So, you connect the camera to the pc via usb then turn on the camera? Does the camera show up in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers? You can try VLC, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, select Media then Open Capture Device then check the drop down on the right to see if your camera is listed.

Hi Whappo,

Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately, I can’t see the camera in the device manager at all. I mean I was just successful in completing the USB driver installation process. :frowning:

Wally

[QUOTE=Whappo;2587489]So, you connect the camera to the pc via usb then turn on the camera? Does the camera show up in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers? You can try VLC, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, select Media then Open Capture Device then check the drop down on the right to see if your camera is listed.[/QUOTE]

Finally my pc recognized the camcorder and recorded the movie but without sound. I should have set it the USB streaming mode on the camcorder. Do you happen to know what’s wrong with this time?

[QUOTE=wally87;2587606]Finally my pc recognized the camcorder and recorded the movie but without sound. I should have set it the USB streaming mode on the camcorder. Do you happen to know what’s wrong with this time?[/QUOTE]

Wally,

Sorry that it took me so long to respond; the email address for my Club MyCE account is defunct. Try this:

Go into your Vista Control Panel and select ‘Hardware and Sound,’ then select ‘Manage Audio Devices,’ and then select ‘Recording.’ You should see your Sony CCD-TRV608 USB Camcorder, but you must select it as the primary input in order for you to record video and sound. Also, within the Corel software, be sure to select the correct DVD input that you want – I use the ‘highest’ settings available, something like 6750 kbps with 4:3 resolution and 224 kbps for the audio.

Jehanne,

Thanks a lot for the tips. Sorry for checking out your message so late. I think I have to set up the camera on a weekend again. But I guess it will work for me. Thanks again!

Wally