Hi-Val HDVD168DL

vbimport

Hello all,

i need some Info`s about the Hi-Val HDVD168DL

How can i find out if it`s a Benq 1640 or a Benq 1650 ???
Is there any Software to check the Chipset inside?

If i Flash the wrong Firmware like a 1650 on a 1640, the drive will be bricked ???

Is it possible to repair the drive ???

Greetz Kirby

AFAIK, you’ll have to open up the drive and check.

DW1640 = PNX7860E/G/M1
DW1650 = PNX7862E

I believe you will kill the drive if you flash the wrong firmware in. Check the BQFlasher thread for more info.

…After doing a quick search, I’ve seen people say there were other drives sold as this HiVal, so it will probably be easier to open it up & check it manually as KTL suggested.

I wouldn’t try to flash any firmware before getting verification.

That said, if you are willing to burn a single layer DVD at 8x or 12x, you might be able to tell from the write curve (using Nero CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed or OptiDriveControl).

Between the 1640 and 1650…

The 1640 will reach 8x/12x in CAV mode, then switch to the CLV portion of the burn for a little while. At a certain point, the drive will drop the RPM to avoid a resonance issue. The speed will then recover to 8x or 12x in CAV mode, and will continue in CLV mode.

The 1650/1655/etc, once they reach the CLV portion of an 8x/12x burn, will remain at 8x/12x CLV.

Other drives have different write curves, and/or can be identified by a different drive ID (I assume).

[QUOTE=Albert;2772434]…After doing a quick search, I’ve seen people say there were other drives sold as this HiVal, so it will probably be easier to open it up & check it manually as KTL suggested.

I wouldn’t try to flash any firmware before getting verification.

That said, if you are willing to burn a single layer DVD at 8x or 12x, you might be able to tell from the write curve (using Nero CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed or OptiDriveControl).

Between the 1640 and 1650…

The 1640 will reach 8x/12x in CAV mode, then switch to the CLV portion of the burn for a little while. At a certain point, the drive will drop the RPM to avoid a resonance issue. The speed will then recover to 8x or 12x in CAV mode, and will continue in CLV mode.

The 1650/1655/etc, once they reach the CLV portion of an 8x/12x burn, will remain at 8x/12x CLV.

Other drives have different write curves, and/or can be identified by a different drive ID (I assume).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your fast answer Albert.

I bought this burner for 15,-€ “NEW”, and now i wait for Shipping from UK. Sometimes Worlds biggest Shopping Center has some nice things…
:wink:

When i create a Dump from the Firmware, is it possible to see which Benq it is ???

Greetz Kirby

You cannot dump firmware from a Nexperia-based BenQ drive (or from ANY BenQ drive made by BenQ itself).

[QUOTE=Kirby;2772453]
I bought this burner for 15,-€ “NEW”, and now i wait for Shipping from UK. Sometimes Worlds biggest Shopping Center has some nice things…
:wink:
[/QUOTE]
Been hunting down Benqs & other interesting drives for almost a decade now, but I’ve never seen a Hi-Val of any sort here in the UK. :confused:

Safest option is definitely to open the drive up and read what’s printed on the chip.

The label on a DW1640 would normally state its power requirements as 5V 1.8A/12V [B][U]1.4[/U][/B]A, and a DW1650 5V 1.8A/12V [U][B]1.6[/B][/U]A. And IIRC, there used to be some subtle external differences in the casing & vents. But after Benq closed down, some ‘mix & match’ DW1640/1650 hybrids appeared in Asia (presumably assembled from leftover parts). So I don’t think external appearance can be considered a completely reliable method.

Benqs are particularly easy to pop open. But best to check the drive is fully working first, before breaking the warranty seal (quick write & verify test with a rewritable CD & DVD should do).

Hi-Val brand was quite popular in the states which had CompUSA at that time, similar to Norwood Micro. Since you won’t have to worry about warranty, taking a peek inside will confirm what drive it is.

Have anyone tried LtnFlash on BenQ drives? I’ve heard that it supports BenQ drives, but I don’t have an access to any BenQ drive at the moment.

Could you tell more info about it, please?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2772464]Been hunting down Benqs & other interesting drives for almost a decade now, but I’ve never seen a Hi-Val of any sort here in the UK. :confused:

Safest option is definitely to open the drive up and read what’s printed on the chip.

The label on a DW1640 would normally state its power requirements as 5V 1.8A/12V [B][U]1.4[/U][/B]A, and a DW1650 5V 1.8A/12V [U][B]1.6[/B][/U]A. And IIRC, there used to be some subtle external differences in the casing & vents. But after Benq closed down, some ‘mix & match’ DW1640/1650 hybrids appeared in Asia (presumably assembled from leftover parts). So I don’t think external appearance can be considered a completely reliable method.

Benqs are particularly easy to pop open. But best to check the drive is fully working first, before breaking the warranty seal (quick write & verify test with a rewritable CD & DVD should do).[/QUOTE]

I found some Dealers with old good old Drives, most Problem is… For the Money they want - - i can buy somewhere else 3 or 4 new Burners.

Like in the Plextor Topic, a Plextor Premium at the Bay for 350,- Bucks and around 35 € for shipping… :disagree: :doh:

A few days ago, i bought a Benq1650(8801) at the biggest Shopping Centre, he was claimed as “Looks like new” and some things…

The Drive arrived here, and Looks like garbage…, The front is bleeched, many Scratches on it :Z -->Looks like new :cop:

But the Drive works… :iagree:

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2772492]Could you tell more info about it, please?[/QUOTE]
There was a thread here on CDFreaks about it a few years ago.

[Quick search Eureka!]

I think there was another sighting reported in another thread on CDFreaks, with a bit of discussion about differences in the casing/vents. But I can’t find it, so I might be wrong. (Or maybe I’m thinking of a discussion about the Philips DVD8881.) :confused:

So - As promised… Here is my New burner !!!

1st Burn

Pictures

Conclusion…

When you open the Hi-Val Box and take a look inside, you see which drive is in inside.

The only thing i did, - I flashed the Firmware BSLB on the Drive.
The Hi-Val Firmware wasn`t able to do Disk-Scans

Greetz Kirby