Hi-speed usb host controller?

hi the other day i bought an external dvd burner,i have two home pcs which i have tried to plug thr burner into and the same problem on both pcs it says, there are no hi-speed usb host controllers installed on this computer , the usb mass storage device will function at reduced speed. you must add a hi speed to this computer to obtain maximum preformance.
can i download this hi speed usb or do i need to be installed from a computer shop? thanks for any help.

Just a curiosity: if you are using Windows XP, do you have service pack 2 installed? If I remember correctly without service packs USB ports will not work correctly.

Yes, the medicine is:

1. If it has a chipset based high speed controller then:
    a. Windows XP - update to SP2, includes high speed support
    b. Win98SE to Win2000 - look for a driver

2. If the chipset is too old for high speed (USB2), then a USB2 PCI card is the answer

If they are moderately old systems (Pentium original / MMX / Pentium II / AMD Athlon / Athlon XP) then it is likely that they do not include high speed.

Hi,[QUOTE=Matth;1950191]
b. Win98SE to Win2000 - look for a driver[/quote]Not needed for Win2000 with Service Pack 4. In that case, drivers from the manufacturer make things often worse.

1. If the chipset is too old for high speed (USB2), then a USB2 PCI card is the answer
    NEC chipset based cards are strongly recommended since other chipsets (ALi or VIA) are known for compatibility issues especially with older mainboard chipsets.

If they are moderately old systems (Pentium original / MMX / Pentium II / AMD Athlon / Athlon XP) then it is likely that they do not include high speed.
You forgot Pentium III and some Pentium IV chipsets. Also there are lots of socket A (Athlon XP) mainboards that support USB Hi Speed. General rule of thumb: Mainboards that hit the market in 2003 or later are likely to have an integrated Hi Speed USB controller. For mainboards built in 2002, it is worth to have a deeper look, and for even older mainboards, Hi Speed USB support is unlikely.

Michael

[QUOTE=geno888;1949818]Just a curiosity: if you are using Windows XP, do you have service pack 2 installed? If I remember correctly without service packs USB ports will not work correctly.[/QUOTE]

HI i just updated to sp2 xp and still not working and i said i have 2 pcs so what do you know they are pentiumR4 cpu and an amd athlon.Do you know how much it costs for a usb2 pci card?:stuck_out_tongue:

Not much. If you tell us where you’re located we could recommend where to get one. :slight_smile:

I bought one for my old P4 awhile back, didn’t cost much. It had an NEC chipset, which as mentioned is the one to look for. :slight_smile:

They are relatively cheap and easy to install.

:cool::cool:

You might also want to check the USB cable. I had a hard time installing my USB LaserJet printer because of a cheap USB extension cord.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;1950551]They are relatively cheap and easy to install.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

hi so how would you install it would you not need someone from a computer shop to install it?? as i know nothing about computers.

It’s easy to do yourself.
Here’s a video you can watch:
http://video.about.com/pcsupport/PCIcard-mov.htm

Installing a PCI card is not so difficult, but if you never did such a thing it is better to ask someone for some help.

Maybe a friend that already has some experience :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=darren1984;1950527]HI i just updated to sp2 xp and still not working and i said i have 2 pcs so what do you know they are pentiumR4 cpu and an amd athlon.[/quote]Could you please provide us with any information about your motherboard? I am asking since some mainboard manufacturers thought, it were a good idea to set a jumper or change some BIOS setting in order to enable USB 2.0 HiSpeed capability.

Do you know how much it costs for a usb2 pci card?:stuck_out_tongue:
It depends on the local market.
For US residents: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008

Michael