Hi :) Simple Question

vbimport

Hi guys, nice organized forums u have here :slight_smile:

I got the Cendyne from Officemax which was a ltr-40125s :slight_smile:

I read the sticky about 50 times and am still confused on what Firmware to use

I am hearing this Pcav talk etc... I want the best Peformace with a 48x OC, what firmware do i use... soooo confused...

Oh yeah I have Win XP

and built this comp myself, so i understand all the DOS instructions and everything, but am confused on what file to use for best performance to a 48x OC…

Most people have best results with the VS02 firmware. I use it as well.

Also, when taking you drive to a LTR-48125W you get P-CAV and CAV. CAV only for 48x burns and P-CAV for 40 and less.

P-CAV = Partial Constant Angular Velocity (i think)
CAV = Constant Angular Velocity

The difference?

P-CAV drive will slow it’s RPM’s once it gets towards end of disk. Meaning the RPM curve rises then falls off.

Originally posted by PorchSong
P-CAV drive will slow it’s RPM’s once it gets towards end of disk. Meaning the RPM curve rises then falls off.

Or actually, stays flat then falls off. :wink:

Im not seeing a VS02 Firmware at the firmware page or OC freaks FTP… ALl of them start with a Z, and no sign of a VS02

Are you sure the VS02 is for my LTR 40125S?

I went ahead and went to VS02, went well, but Nero detecs it as a ltr-48125s but i cant burn at 48…8 only 40… let me check clonecd

NVM its all good, thanx for all you help

Also, when taking you drive to a LTR-48125W you get P-CAV and CAV. CAV only for 48x burns and P-CAV for 40 and less.

I may be wrong, I haven’t tried it, but I think the 48x still burns at CLV below around 16x.

To get 48X shown in Nero: insert media it allows writing at 48X to…

Yes 16X and lower is CLV.

@PorchSong

How did you do your tests ?
Would you please tell me how one can determine that it’s P-CAV when burning @40 in a 48x drive ?
And most importantly, if true, why is that that your drive goes P-CAV @40 ?

@BoSkin

Test are simple–Use CD-Speed. Get media that will go 48x and do a transfer test. Look under type box and you will see CAV.

Same goes for 40x. You will see P-CAV.

BTW, when doing CAV on a 48x. It is CAV across the whole burn, whole disk.

P-CAV is only on 40x and less–and across the whole burn.

@PorchSong

You totally misunderstood my question. And your explanation is off- topic. Kind of truism that almost everybody know !

And it’s a pity that it sounded to you as easy as you might have thought.
But I repeat it once again.

You have a 48x drive ( note, not a 40x one )
It IS an obvious thing that it goes all the way CAV @48
and btw, it IS clear that a 40x drive writes P-CAV @40
It kinda goes without saying, you know.

So, here’s the question :

How do you tell that it’s P-CAV when burning @40 in a 48x drive ?
Do you get it ?

Let me go further then. The FWs for 40x like zs0J / zs0K are capable of giving the drive the P-CAV method , at least @40
Likewise the FWs for 48x drives like vs02 / vs06 give you a chance to write CAV @48.
So, if the FW for 48x has such a capacity of CAV,
Why then it’s not (?) capable of writing CAV @40 in a 48x drive ??? Or is it capable ?

Let me show you this Feurio remark :

WRITER RECORDS IN PARTIAL CAV-MODE!

You have selected to burn with 40 times. But the writer “[1, 0, 0] LITE-ON - LTR-48125W” burns just with"40 times max", i.e. the writer doesn’t burn the whole CD with 40x. As for CD-ROMs the writer first begins with a lesser speed (22x) an increases then the speed up to the maximum speed.
Because of this the CD will not be burned at maximum speed, but you’ll get an average speed (depending on the size of the CD). For the same reason also the rest-time-display of Feurio! will not work correctly.

The reason for this is, that the angular velocity would be too high to record at the inner range of the CD with 40x (a CD is written from inner to the outside), which would make mechanical problems. So the writer first begins with a constant angular velocity (CAV = Constant Angular Velocity) and the datarate increases with time; If the maximum speed (40x) is reached, the writer switches to the CLV-mode (CLV = Constant Linear Velocity), i.e. the datarate will remain constant, the angular velocity decreases with time.

Well, this IS the explanation and that’s what I had actually expected from you to tell me.

Now, from the above description this leads me to conclude this - all it depends exclusively on the FW
Of course, partly on the media.

So, I don’t know whether LiteOn are working at this issue or not, but it seems to me that it’s just a matter of time and with the new FW release the matter would probably be fixed and we all be able to have the Full-CAV method in our 40x-48x ( and higher ) drives .

Well, if the new Yamaha CRW-F1 gives us such an opportunity, why wouldn’t LiteOn do the same ?

" The Full-CAV recording method is identical to the way a conventional CD-Rom reads data, which rotates at a constant speed no matter where the data is located on the disc. Yamaha’s efficient use of Full-CAV technology allows writing to increase at a smooth and consistent rate until it achieves full speed. Yamaha’s exclusive OWSC (Optimum Write Speed Control) adjusts to the maximum recording speed of the blank CDR."

Well, hopefully you now do understand what I meant in my previous post ?

I think I understand your post, but why would you want Full-CAV for 40x speed instead of P-CAV for 40x speed.

With the P-CAV method your CD will be finished sooner, because it’s writing longer at 40x speed then a Full-CAV writer does.
Also with P-CAV the writer doesn’t activate it’s buffer underrun technology as with Z-CLV, so that can’t be the reason. So 40x speed P-CAV looks better to me then 40x speed Full-CAV.

But if I’m missing something please let me know.

And to take what Namoh said one step further, a 40x full CAV is going to start at a lower speed than a 40x P-CAV. All other things being equal, a P-CAV 40x drive will be faster than it’s full CAV equivelant, as it will have higher write speeds thoughout the entire disc, except at the very end where they will be equal. What advantage do you expect to reap with full CAV?

Good question, wrong address !
You’d better forward it to Yamaha & LiteOn. Wouldn’t it be more fair ? :wink:

And perhaps thanks to your opinions they all of a sudden will cool down their CAV- fever before
it’s tooooo late :confused:

What do you think ?

@Boskin

Chill bro,

You misread my answer. Or more so, I did not state it clearly. And I forgot to address your third question.

I was trying to tell you how to test.

The firmware for the 48x drive will burn CAV when it “thinks” it has 48x media in it. This same 48x drive will burn P-CAV when it “thinks” it has 40x or less media in it.

Again, to test, get both types of media and use CD Speed.

You can not–as far I know–force the 48x drive to burn at CAV while burning @ 40x or less. I agree, it is a firmware issue–or at least logic would dictate. But then again, Liteon seems to have their act together, so it might be a technical issue as to why they don’t. Or, it might be that 99% of users out there have no idea what Z-CLV, P-CAV, and CAV are. Thus, not a high demand. Think about it, Liteon “5” series drive were capable of P-CAV and CAV, but they were release with Z-CLV. Why? Because the Firmware did not have to be rewritten to accomodate CAV writing. Only when competition from other drive makers who were offering CAV came out, did Liteon introduce CAV. Which leads to a few possible answers. CAV must be a difficult firmware issue and it took a lot of time to work out the bugs. The mediatek chipset has always allowed CAV, so why not the companies. It seems Liteon was forced to come out with CAV and they did it on their high end drive–maybe another marketing ploy?

Who knows.

It’s not so complicated, folks, it’s very simple. CAV takes longer to write a full CD, at 40x, unless it starts at a higher speed. The only way to start at a higher speed is to spin the disc faster. You want discs flying apart in your drive? You want slower burn times? No and no, so what you get is whatever burn method gives the fastest burn time without exceeding the physical limits of the drive and disc. Neither method is superior, except that P-CAV and CAV seem to be producing higher error rates. But this is more than likely due to the media, not the method.

Only when competition from other drive makers who were offering CAV came out, did Liteon introduce CAV
Right. And this kind of evolution means only one thing to me that they ( LiteON ) somewhat have realized that this ( CAV -method ) would be the future and actually accepted the technology invented by …you know who.

CAV must be a difficult firmware issue and it took a lot of time to work out the bugs
Yet they have gone this way.

It seems Liteon was forced to come out with CAV
And they don’t seem to regret it. What’s that then that hinders Plextor to do so ?

This same 48x drive will burn P-CAV when it “thinks” it has 40x or less media in it.
Sounds absolutely reasonable . But is there any way of “fooling” that “thinking” ?

Again, to test, get both types of media and use CD Speed
That’s pretty obvious to me.

Chill bro
“Have I offended someone ?” :bigsmile: ( Frank Zappa )

Thanks bro !!! :wink:

This same 48x drive will burn P-CAV when it “thinks” it has 40x or less media in it.
Sounds absolutely reasonable . But is there any way of “fooling” that “thinking”

Why would you want to?

blinded by your pedantic obsession to scientific perfection

to make my dream come true

:bigsmile: