Hi, in Need of dvd Burning Help Please!

vbimport

Hi all :bigsmile:
This looks like a great site, and i’m happy to meet you all!
I’m not much of a techie, so i’ll probably be reading more then anything lol.

I do have a question, and i tried to find a spot for it, but couldn’t find anything (at first glance anyway) for Dvd Shrink and Dvd Decryptor.
Right now, i’m trying to burn a movie (since yesterday) and it’s been extremely frustrating. I had looked up the official “manual” for Dvd Shrink, and it seems pretty simple. I wanted to do a full movie backup so that i could use the copy instead of the real thing. For the dvd blank, i’m using a Verbatim dvd+r 4.7 GB, which i heard was one of the best brands to use.

I set up for Full Disc Backup, saw that the bar on top said i was under 4.7 GB and proceeded.
It successfully backed it up, and opened Dvd Decryptor to burn it.

Everything looked fine until i got this message:

There doesn’t appear to be enough space on the disc to burn this image.
Image size: 2,431,814 sectors
Disc Size: 2,295,104 sectors
Would you like to continue anyway?

:a No sense at all! i tried multiple times by downsizing the Compression ratio on Dvd Shrink; finally resorting to the lowest possible: 3,134 MB. No change at all, because the end result file for burning remains the same! (4.60 GB). < Which apparently takes too much space on a 4.7 GB?? :confused:

Can anyone tell me please what’s the problem and what can I do? Please keep it simple, as i’m very new to all of this.

Thanks!

The actual amount of data you can put onto a single layer dvd is about 4.37gb. There are two different ways to measure storage, and of course the manufacturers use the larger one as the label on their discs. DVDShrink should automatically make a copy that is under this 4.37gb limit. I do not know why it is failing for you.

Both of the tools you are using are very old now, and have been abandoned since 2004-2005 era. There are many commercially made discs that neither will decrypt properly. You might try a newer decryption program called TDMore Free DVD Copy to get the full movie onto the hard drive. This will only work to decrypt the movie, not compress. http://www.videohelp.com/software/tdmore-free-dvd-copy

If the older tools are decrypting it ok, then use DVD Decrypter to put a full, uncompressed copy on the hard drive. Or you can use the TDMore program for this.

Then use a tool called DVD Rebuilder to make a copy that you can burn to a disc. This is a free program, found here: http://www.jdobbs.com/Pages/Downloads.htm
If you have any questions about using it, there are several of us around here with experience with the program and we’ll be happy to help.

Once the program is finished, and you have a new, compressed version on the hard drive, use ImgBurn to do the actual burn to a disc. ImgBurn is written by the same programmer who made DVD Decrypter, and is a much better option for burning optical media. It is also free to use. Just click on one of the mirrors at this site: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Be careful of the installer. Don’t install any “optional” software it might offer. You can opt out of those. The program is worth dodging the optional stuff in the installer.

One reason to recommend DVD Rebuilder over Shrink is the fact that the output will be better quality. DVD Rebuilder uses an encoder, rather than a transcoder. But Shrink is normally pretty much bullet proof once a DVD is decrypted, and I’m a little baffled that the Automatic settings didn’t work for you.

If you do want to try DVD Rebuilder, you’ll be using the built in HC encoder. It should be automatically selected as the encoding choice. You seem to want the entire movie, menus and all, so click on Mode–>Backup Mode (Full Backup). You can also do a movie only backup, with no menus or extras.

Thank you so much for the info! :slight_smile:
That’s great to know about the amount of space on a disc i had no idea what a bunch of cheaters they are lol.
Yea, i can’t understand either why Shrink refuses to work with me, I’ve looked it over again, and still am coming up with nothing. The Dvd Decryptor does appear to work quite well in removing the protection on dvds, but I think I will go ahead and use what you’ve recommended to me as what I have is old. And as Dvd Rebuilder has a better output quality, i will definitely use it over Shrink.

Thanks for all the links, I won’t be able to get to them right now, but soon as i can get back to this, i will get all those programs and give it a go! (minus the unwanted side alongs!) Actually, in case you know, if i am sure to refuse all the “optional” software; for sure i won’t get anything? I’ve come across a few that seem determined to add something no matter what you say :eek:

Will let you know if it went well in the end :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Saphira;2752052]Thank you so much for the info! :slight_smile:
That’s great to know about the amount of space on a disc i had no idea what a bunch of cheaters they are lol.
Yea, i can’t understand either why Shrink refuses to work with me, I’ve looked it over again, and still am coming up with nothing. The Dvd Decryptor does appear to work quite well in removing the protection on dvds, but I think I will go ahead and use what you’ve recommended to me as what I have is old. And as Dvd Rebuilder has a better output quality, i will definitely use it over Shrink.

Thanks for all the links, I won’t be able to get to them right now, but soon as i can get back to this, i will get all those programs and give it a go! (minus the unwanted side alongs!) Actually, in case you know, if i am sure to refuse all the “optional” software; for sure i won’t get anything? I’ve come across a few that seem determined to add something no matter what you say :eek:

Will let you know if it went well in the end :)[/QUOTE] There are many reasons why Shrink and DVDD wont work anymore, the number 1 reason is because they havent been updated to remove decryptions since 2005, they are in fact out of business, no updates for them. There are however other excellent programs that will decrypt and compress with just a few clicks, and very easy to understand. But they are not free. We host them right here at Myce.com, no need to go to to other forums.

If it’s just DVDs you’re interested in Saphira check out DVDFab as you can decrypt them for free with this program.

We have a dedicated forum for this here and if you’ve any questions about it ask away in there.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=alan1476;2752072]There are many reasons why Shrink and DVDD wont work anymore, the number 1 reason is because they havent been updated to remove decryptions since 2005, they are in fact out of business, no updates for them. There are however other excellent programs that will decrypt and compress with just a few clicks, and very easy to understand. But they are not free. We host them right here at Myce.com, no need to go to to other forums.[/QUOTE]

At the beginning when i had gotten them, i didn’t know they were old. People seemed to like it, so I had taken them thinking it was a good choice. Thanks for the tip, but for now i’d rather stick with something free (even if it may be more complicated). Later down the road if i see that there’s plenty more, and if the price suits lol, I will then purchase one.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2752101]If it’s just DVDs you’re interested in Saphira check out DVDFab as you can decrypt them for free with this program.

We have a dedicated forum for this here and if you’ve any questions about it ask away in there.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick link! :slight_smile: I’ll be heading over there to look after this. I’ve heard that Dvd Fab is excellent, but I didn’t care for how they make you “purchase” them for only certain amounts of time :rolleyes: There’s gotta be others that can compete and still leave you happy at the end of the day.
I’m not sure what’s better for the Decrypting part, (Dvd Fab or TDMore), so i guess i’ll just wing it and if really I’ll try the other!

I should be able to get to this today (download the programs) and if all goes well, I’ll be trying it too :slight_smile:

There is another free option for decryption, and it is an excellent program within its limits. It is called MakeMKV. This program will decrypt both DVD’s and Blu-ray.

The limitations are twofold. One, it will only decrypt and rip DVD’s as main movie MKV files. So you lose both the DVD-video structure and the menus and extras. Most people don’t have issues with this, as the majority have moved away from burning DVD-video to discs. And secondly, it is officially called a beta program, though it is extremely stable and has been in beta for years. The author says that DVD decryption will always be free, but if it ever leaves beta status, the Blu-ray decryption will not be.

In order to keep using the program, you need to get new beta keys from their forum every month or so, or download and install new versions of the program as they are released. The keys are found in this thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

MakeMKV can rip the entire disc to the hard drive using Backup mode, but this mode only works with Blu-ray.

If you absolutely have to have DVD-video structure, you could combine MakeMKV with a free program called AVStoDVD. This combination would give you a DVD-video of the correct size to burn to a single layer DVD, but you would lose the original menus and extras in the process. Quality of output could only be matched by DVDRebuilder.

So it all depends on what you need as output.

I agree with you concerning free tools by the way. I see very little need for commercial products when backing up movies, with the exception of decryption. MakeMKV is the only free decryption program that is updated quickly, and even it lags a little behind the commercial version of DVDFab and AnyDVD in this.

Over the years I have only invested in one program in this category and that is AnyDVD HD. It is a program meant for decryption only, and the HD version of AnyDVD works with both Blu-ray and DVD video (also the dead HD-DVD format). The folks at Slysoft are responsive to new encryption as it is released, and they update regularly. They also offer a lifetime version of the program, so your copy does not expire. Not inexpensive however.

Everything else can be done with outstanding quality with free tools. DVD Rebuilder is head and shoulders above the commercial tools in output quality because it can use the HCenc encoder. The other programs use an inferior compression process when backing up DVD-video.

AVStoDVD is a free program that can convert various types of files (avi, mp4, mkv, m2ts, etc.) to DVD-video. It is also virtually peerless in this since it too can use the HCenc encoder. Output is superior to that of most other programs that do this process since they typically use ffmpeg. And while ffmpeg is a fine open source software, its mpeg2 output leaves something to be desired.

If you ever move on to Blu-ray, or conversion of video for portable devices, these categories are also well represented by free software, that I find superior in virtually every way to the commercial products.

BD Rebuilder is unmatched in backing up Blu-ray discs, and is amazingly versatile. Not a decrypter, so you’d have to combine it with MakeMKV in Backup mode if you wanted to stick with free tools.

Handbrake and VidCoder are two of the most popular choices for conversion of DVD-video or Blu-ray to MP4 or MKV files. Again, these free tools are capable of surpassing commercial products in their output.

So what use are the commercial programs? As far as I can see they exist only for those who are too uncertain to go without official support (which isn’t always forthcoming), or they are meant for those who simply don’t want to learn how to use the free tools. The commercial programs are built for [B]speed [/B]and [B]convenience[/B], and many are hard to adjust to get optimal quality output.

That’s a superb and very comprehensive post Kerry. :clap: :iagree:

Out of interest, I did some tests a few years ago using the most difficult movies to compress along with a range of encoders including some very expensive top end ones. The HCenc encoder was my ultimate favourite regarding quality and I genuinely think that’s amazing given that it’s free.

The Cinemacraft encoder came in a close second but it gives a slightly grainier appearance.

One of the interesting things I noticed was that the Cinemacraft stills looked better than the HCenc stills yet with moving video Cinemacraft didn’t look quite as good.

I suppose this demonstrates the folly of comparing still shots rather than moving video though. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wow, thanks so much for all that information Kerry!!:smiley:
I’ve gone ahead and taken all those programs, AVStoDVD included because i do have avi files that i would love to have on Dvd!

Thanks for the great links, the downloading and setting up went perfectly smooth :iagree:

I’ve started looking into to the programs and noticed that Dvd RB mentions that the professional vers provides the ability to edit the movie? Is there a good one (free) that would do that? There are some movies that I have where i would like to edit out some scenes. (i don’t need anything specific like blurring or something, simply removing or putting a blank there…From all that i’ve been reading this would eliminate regardless the menu and extras? On that point, for movies that I’d like to edit, i wouldn’t care.

I’m approaching it in the way that if i can have the menu\extras with the movie, then yes, by all means. (having a complete backup)
But, for the few that i would like to edit, I won’t care.

Well, for now i’m giving a try at a full backup, and dvd rb is working right now :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all that info, it’s been absolutely helpful, especially as this is entirely new territory for me! :flower:

I have DVD Rebuilder Pro (got it when it was in beta many years ago). It does not have the editing properties that you are talking about I’m afraid. You would not be able to cut out scenes with this program.

This page has a list of most of the extra features in the Pro edition: http://www.jdobbs.com/Pages/DVDRebuilder/DVD-RB_Adv.htm But most people don’t have a need for these features, and the author stopped working on this program about seven years ago now, so its not worth investing in if you are hoping for any new improvements.

In order to cut out scenes, you’d need an editing program that works well with the mpeg2 codec found in DVD-video. VideoRedo TV Suite would be one option, but it is not free, and doing these edits by hand is time consuming.

Oh okay…well i’m going to do some more research on it, and see if maybe i can find something that can do a decent job. I keep seeing Dvd Shrink popping up for editing, but looking at the how to, i can’t see how it can work for minute details.
Eh, just need to do more reading!

Otherwise, i go it!!! :bigsmile: My first successful full Dvd backup!! :bigsmile:
And the quality looks great; this is awesome :smiley:

:flower: