Hi! I'm Ann Marie and I'm an idiot!

I recently got a laptop and spotted a Region 1 DVD that I wanted to buy (I’m in Region 2). I thought I did a thorough investigation but stupidly bought DVD Region Free without testing it out first. I’m not very good on technical matters so I assumed my DVD player would be ok to play it and as the DVDs were being sent to my home address (I am in college) I impetuously decided to go and buy the full program wailing and gnashing of teeth

My DVD drive is a Matshita DVD RAM UJ-811 and curses to it, but Region Free doesn’t support it, but I didn’t pay any attention to this, seeing instead that they said they didn’t support XX-8xxx and SW-xxxx Matshitas. I really want to kick myself over being so stupid, and have been trawling the net for answers. I don’t understand what the difference is with DVD-RAM and DVD-ROM. Are only a few companies using DVD RAM and will no program help in bypassing region free? (as my technical skills are so pitiful I don’t want to attempt any of the serious hacks out there). My drive still has 3 region changes left on it but I’ll be sticking to Region 1 DVDs for the time being!

Any help would be much appreciated
Ann Marie
:slight_smile:

Hi Ann Marie and welcome to our forums. Don’t feel like an idiot, we’re here to help. Your question about DVD-RAM and DVD-ROM should be answered by reading this.

I’m not sure if AnyDVD will do the trick, but there is a free trial version available so you can try it yourself. You can download it here.

Good luck and please report back if we can be at any more help.

if u rip the dvd to ur hard drive using DVD Decrypter, u could strip the region coding from the dvd, allowing u to watch dvds from any region from ur hard drive. of course, this isn’t a permanent solution since dvds will fill up ur hard drive fairly quickly.

the most permanent solutions would involve buying a new drive, either a new dvd-rom that can be made region-free (such as the Lite-On 166S), or a dvd burner with which u can burn the dvds u rip (most dvds will require additional compression to fit onto a recordable dvd as well).

this may also help you check first http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml :bigsmile: