Hi Def DVD Player with USB support

vbimport

What is the best high definition DVD player that has support to connect USB devices like a flash drive or an external hard drive?
thanks in advance!!

DVD, by definition, isn’t Hi-Def to begin with. The best you can hope for is 720X480 or 720X576 if you’re in PAL land. Therefore, I’d look for the most capable USB one (in terms of format accepted, resume, etc.). A good place to look would be in the ‘Reviews’ section of CD Freaks (click at the top of the page) or in the list of DVD players over at Videohelp.com.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/5074-Philips-DVP5990---DVD-player.html

Is there one that is more better than this one?

I have this one, it plays any Xvid I’ve tossed at it. But it is a flimsy player with a toy remote. The other thing I’ve noticed is fast scanning works much better off of a disc rather than a USB stick (a reasonably fast 20MB/s one). Trying to scan at 32X it will start to bog down off the stick.

@ MysticEyes … if you dont mind doing a little work i think you will find that the XBox 1 console (which i heard u can get for around 40 bucks or so at gamestop etc) is pretty much easily the best XviD player out there for standard home tv stuff cause once you put XBMC (XBox Media Center) on it it can pretty much play any video format a PC can play besides hi-def cause of it’s CPU limitations.

by default XBox consoles cannot play XviD but once you softmod it using XBoxHDM etc it can which is 100percent free if you know what to do :wink:

and you can run Video files off the XBox’s hard drive to… cause once it’s softmoded you have roughly 4500MB of space to use on it’s hard drive (the E partition)… and if the XBox you happen to get has the Seagate in it… you can format the F partition in it which will give u an additional 2GB of space… the Western Digital hard drive dont have that… either way you will have atleast around 4500MB regardless if you get the Western Digital or Seagate… but with the Seagate it has 2GB more of space but by default it’s not used… i just found that part it semi recently.

also, if you got a router u can stream video files (i.e. XviD etc) from the PC’s hard drive though the router into the XBox running XBMC and play it on the TV… so in other words you can pretty much use the PC as storage for video files and the XBox can access it and play from there. (i use that feature alot myself).

also it’s possible to upgrade the hard drive inside the original xbox with a bigger one but since you would be using the softmod method and not a modchip method you would have to get a hard drive that supports locking… with the modchip you can pretty much use any IDE hard drive you want… i currently have a 80GB hard drive in my XBox that has a modchip in it… i also have 2 other xbox’s that are softmoded, those are stock besides the softmod.

also on a side note… the XBox360 can play XviD etc from a external hard drive (through USB) but your hard drive has to use the FAT32 file system and not NTSC otherwise it wont work… overall though original XBox is better than 360 is cause it has more features and it aint as limited.

[QUOTE=NBR;2181129]@ MysticEyes … if you dont mind doing a little work i think you will find that the[B] XBox 1 console[/B] (which i heard u can get for around 40 bucks or so at gamestop etc) is pretty much easily the best XviD player out there for standard home tv stuff cause once you put XBMC (XBox Media Center) on it it can pretty much play any video format a PC can play besides hi-def cause of it’s CPU limitations… [/QUOTE]
Very interesting. Not being at all familiar with the product is this the one?

I have two Pioneer DVD players with USB support. They have great build quality and video playback is very good as is the up converting. You can buy one for about $80-$100 and the better build quality alone is worth the extra cost over a Philips unit. Here is a link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Blu-rayDisc+DVD/PioneerDVDPlayers+Recorders/ci.DV-410V-K.Kuro Just remember that you will need an external power supply to play video off a hard drive. Even from a 2.5" notebook hard drive. This is the case with nearly all the less expensive DVD players with USB ports.

Thanks. I think I will try out the DV5990. But is there any way to play .mkv files on it? or is there any quick way to convert .mkv files to a playable format for the DVP5990?

When dealing with larger high def video files I find converting them to a DVD with ConvertXtoDVD works well. You can also convert them to an AVI file.

[QUOTE=UTR;2181966]When dealing with larger high def video files I find converting them to a DVD with ConvertXtoDVD works well. You can also convert them to an AVI file.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, what is a good program to convert to .avi from .mkv? will the quality remain the same (or similar)?
convertxtodvd only does approximate file size, not format.
thanks in advance!

I don’t use video conversion software that handles MKV files but a Google search should lead you to quite a few.

[QUOTE=extremepilot;2181830]Thanks. I think I will try out the DV5990. But is there any way to play .mkv files on it? or is there any quick way to convert .mkv files to a playable format for the DVP5990?[/QUOTE]
This little app converts well to Xvid that play on my Philips.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127298

It will only do 2 channel audio though.

Easy to use, I usually manually set the width to 720 (you can’t go wider it won’t play) and up the audio to at least 192. I choose the last (bottom) preset, 1 pass quality high. Do note that at that the ‘Size’ setting is ignored with this preset and the resultant Xvid will be larger than the MKV, but the quality is pretty close to the source. You can read the docs and choose other options if you want a smaller end result.

Also note ConvertXtoDVD handles conversion of .mkv files to DVD quite well.

@ MysticEyes … yes, that’s the XBox 1 Console in that picture you showed me in your post.

stock system it wont play XviD video (and do all the fancy stuff) but if you know what to do and have a pc burner and a pc you can modify it for FREE.

you got to download a few programs (XBoxHDM + nDure etc) and it boots from a CD-R (CD-RW etc will be fine to which is what i used) which then allows you to change files on the XBox’s hard drive which then makes it so you can run XBox Media Center etc on it which plays XviD video.

NOTE: theoretically you can damage the PC and/or XBox doing the Hotswap cause it requires you unplug the IDE cable while the power it on on PC/XBox… but i did it many times on a older PC i use (500Mhz Celeron - 192MB ram) to do the moding and never really had any issues. (so you have to open the XBox case which aint hard as it requires a Torx10 (and maybe 15… it’s one of those two) screwdriver to open… and once main case is open you dont have to remove anything else… although it might not be a bad idea to blow all the dust out :wink: )

p.s. i use a Logitech Wireless controller (generally one of the best Wireless controllers for the XBox) on my XBox since using a wired controller can be a issue since the cord can be in the way etc.

Just thought I would go ahead and say that if you have the Xbox 360, it is already set up with media center so you can stream anything from your pc. It also has support for external devices. (3 USB ports, 2 in front, one in back.) All you would need to do is plug in the drive, and go to videos, select portable device, and select the video. Alternately from your computer you would need to enable sharing over your network, allow the xbox to access your computer and make sure any video is in a shared folder.

Also, here is a link to a freeware converter. http://www.download3000.com/download-mkv-to-avi-converter-count-reg-16064.html
Personally I have roxio creator 2009. Its an all in one program for dvd’s and cd’s. It has file conversion to pretty much any format you want. That, however, isn’t free.

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2182203][B]Just thought I would go ahead and say that if you have the Xbox 360, it is already set up with media center so you can stream anything from your pc. It also has support for external devices. (3 USB ports, 2 in front, one in back.) All you would need to do is plug in the drive, and go to videos, select portable device, and select the video. Alternately from your computer you would need to enable sharing over your network, allow the xbox to access your computer and make sure any video is in a shared folder. [/B]

Also, here is a link to a freeware converter. http://www.download3000.com/download-mkv-to-avi-converter-count-reg-16064.html
Personally I have roxio creator 2009. Its an all in one program for dvd’s and cd’s. It has file conversion to pretty much any format you want. That, however, isn’t free.[/QUOTE]

yes the XBox360 can play XviD files to but it needs you to sign into XBox Live in order to get the codecs etc etc… it’s just a more handicapped limited way to play stuff that the XBox1 does much better and without restrictions… plus not to mention a standard XBox1 is alot cheaper than a XBox360 at this point… cause if all you basically want is XviD and some streaming from PC … the XBox1 route is the far better way vs XBox360… plus not to mention XBox360’s aint nearly as reliable as the original XBox’s in terms of the longevity of the hardware… cause the XBox360’s have been reported to have upto around 33percent failure rate which is really high.

but “IF” you already have it… the XBox360 aint a bad choice for XviD playback… but to stream stuff from PC usually requires setting up some extra software which is not needed on XBox1 running XBMC… about the only thing i like about the XBox360 is that you can plug in a external hard drive (only supports FAT32 file system… NOT NTFS :frowning: ) and play XviD files from there.

one of advantages of the XBox360 is that it can do Hi-Def content… you can use a application called XenonMKV to convert a 720p/1080p .mkv file into a .mp4 file (which is really easy to do with that XenonMKV app) that the XBox360 can use (no video quality loss but sound is converted down)

@ NBR

Cool, Thanks. :slight_smile:

You don’t need any additional software or codecs. It has media center built in and works fine streaming over the network.
And yes, it is a [I]tad[/I] more expensive.
So definitely for price the original xbox is your best bet. The 360 has better quality though.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2182186]This little app converts well to Xvid that play on my Philips.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127298

It will only do 2 channel audio though.

Easy to use, I usually manually set the width to 720 (you can’t go wider it won’t play) and up the audio to at least 192. I choose the last (bottom) preset, 1 pass quality high. Do note that at that the ‘Size’ setting is ignored with this preset and the resultant Xvid will be larger than the MKV, but the quality is pretty close to the source. You can read the docs and choose other options if you want a smaller end result.

Also note ConvertXtoDVD handles conversion of .mkv files to DVD quite well.[/QUOTE]

I’m converting to see how it comes out, thanks

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2182217]You don’t need any additional software or codecs. It has media center built in and works fine streaming over the network.
And yes, it is a [I]tad[/I] more expensive.
So definitely for price the original xbox is your best bet. The 360 has better quality though.[/QUOTE]

well on a stock XBox360 not using anything fancy like ‘windows media center’ (on PC side) etc … you DO need to download a codec from XBox Live in order to play XviD or other video formats from a disc or external hard drive.

cause on the initial load of a .avi file it will not play the .avi (XviD) file til you get a codec on xbox live… after initial download though you can play XviD files offline without needing to be on xbox live.

but yeah i would probably agree the video output on XBox360 is a little better but nothing drastic or anything over the original XBox.

but basically the best thing about XBMC is you just share a folder on your PC and it can access the shares through SMB unlike the 360 which needs extra crap to be installed etc to use it… XBMC is just better designed for general video playback is what im saying… it’s just a shame the 360 security is alot harder to hack vs original xbox :frowning: … otherwise by now we would have most likely had a XBMC for XBox360 and being able to play .mkv files and all other sorta of fancy HD stuff instead of MS’s handicapped options.

I’ve seen some hacks and mods on the 360 but they are more complicated.

Windows media center comes with vista already so nothing extra to install pc wise there :wink: It would seem we will have to agree to disagree on this one.