Hi can you help my cdrom to stop spinning with no the cd

vbimport

hi forum ppl

i have samsung sm-352b

it’s hard to describe but whenever i take out the cd and put the tray back in, the cd rom tries to find the cd (it spins and stops and spins and stops) several times until it finally gives up and stops.

it’s been like that since i bought it. the guy at the shop says it’s motherboard problem but i think it’s highly unlikely ay? i am still waiting for firmware release but the one i have is the most updated one on the website so…

anybody has the same problem? or know how to solve it?

thanks in advance

Hi and welcome aboard!

I find it hard to believe that this a mainboard problem. Usually, stuff like this is determined by the drive’s hardware or its firmware.

You could try the following:

1. Unplug the drive’s IDE cable (probably a big grey one) and start the system. Try to close the tray without a disc. No change? Than the mainboard doesn’t matter.
  2. Update the firmware. Go here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1554

If you have more questions etc, feel free to ask more :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I’d take it back the shop and get a refund or replacement, how long have you had the drive? I don’t know what country your from so laws are different but its not doing the job it was intended to do (ie it doesn’t work) so replace or refund please, if no joy then you could always threaten legal action or just get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they have got to say as your probably covered for faults for 12 months.
I personally returned my hard drive (maxtor) this way as the shop I bought it from was over 100 miles away and I had it replaced within 3 days.