Hi all - Strange Problem

Hi all,

I came across this site a while back and find it useful but never thought I’d need to post. Well I do. And I need your help.

I have just come across a peculiar problem, if I stick ANY CD into my CD drive, my PC tries to reboot and I think it is trying to reboot from the disk ans it flcikers and flickers until I eject the CD. After which it boots up fine. The CD can be audio, a CDR or a DVD.

I last used my CD drive about 2 weeks ago and all was well. All I have installed in the meantime is RegRun Security Suite and similar Reg checkers as I had a potential problem with a trojan. And here the plot thickens…

The trojan was identified by my AV when trying to DL software from a reputable company www.betfair.com. Betfair say their software is virus free and that hundreds of people a day are DL it. I have asked friends in the poker community and they say they can DL it ok. But when I try to install the software, my AV says it has found Email-Worm.Win32.Warezov.do and that it is located in C:\Program Files\Betfair\Betfair Poker\filepile3.dat and quarantines the file. Thsu preventing the software from loading.

I overrode my AV at the advice of a friend and all kinds of exes were trying to access the internet blah blah blah. It took me a while but all seems fine now (hence the registry checkers).

But now I have this CD booting issue. And I don’t know if it’s linked to this mystery virus that no one else is experiencing. No one esle except me and my mum’s PC - which is protected by the same AV (Comodo). She gets the same error.

Please help.

Thx

ps: Someone suggested it may be a conflict with an mp3 player but this is not so. I do have an mp3 player but it’s a flash drive cheapo Creative one with NO software to install. I bought it last year and I just stick in the USB drive and drag/drop files. I have had no problems for over a year and anywya, as said, no software was installed to cause a confilct.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=Ice_9;1951118
The trojan was identified by my AV when trying to DL software from a reputable company(…). But when I try to install the software, my AV says it has found Email-Worm.Win32.Warezov.do and that it is located in C:\Program Files\Betfair\Betfair Poker\filepile3.dat and quarantines the file. Thsu preventing the software from loading.

I overrode my AV at the advice of a friend and all kinds of exes were trying to access the internet blah blah blah. It took me a while but all seems fine now (hence the registry checkers).

Please help.
[/QUOTE]
This is the advice given from Microsoft:

[B]The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild. [/B]That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your applications). Alternatively, you could of course work on your resume instead, but I don’t want to see you doing that.
Read the full article here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

Michael