Hi 1st post after some help

vbimport

Hello all i have been having some problems with my computer not recognizing films that i have burnt

I have been using winavi to convert avi files to dvd and the burning the files to dvd using nero the conversion is fine and works on the computer but after i have burnt the dvd the computer says blank disk but the disk plays in other dvd players

What happens if you right click the Drive (with the disc in) and choose Explore? Do you see a VIDEO_TS folder?

no dont get anything just blank i have been trying to figure it out burning a image and mounting works and plays copied image to disk still blank disk when i try to play of the drive

What kind of dvd’s are you using? Are you finalizing the burn? You can’t read the dvd, even in the drive it was created on?

in Nero burn settings did you tic the finalize box? if not that may be your answer.

Do you have a 2nd drive or another PC you can test discs on?

I have a DVD with data on it that for whatever reason isn’t recognized on the drive that it was created on, or a 2nd drive on that system. The only way I can see it is if use ISObuster. I can see it with no problems on my 2nd PC.

I myself do not like Nero. I burn all my Videos with ImgBurn Maybe you’ll have better luck with it.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2034739]What kind of dvd’s are you using? Are you finalizing the burn? You can’t read the dvd, even in the drive it was created on?[/QUOTE]

The chance of unfinalized discs playing on standalone players is slim.

Yes i did finalize the disks. I have not got another pc to use it the disks work on in my xbox 360 and other dvd players just not on my pc

It seems a typycal bad burned disc issue.

What discs are you using? What burner do you have? What firmware? At what speed did you burn these discs?

It is the same drive that i have burnt the disk originally with

my drive is a nec nd-3540a and i have updated firmware as far as i know i think the disks are ritek i have tried at different speeds

Ritek discs are known to give these issues.

The best solution is to use quality discs, like Verbatim. This should be sufficient to solve

However, if I’m not wrong, your drive is not really recent, so it is possible that the firmware will be not able to burn correctly many recently introduced media so maybe it is time to buy a more recent drive :slight_smile:

I personally would try two things in this order:

1. Try burning with ImgBurn
  2. Update the firmware if needed.

To check your current firmware in WinXP, follow these steps (2 ways):
ImgBurn will tell you under the Device tab OR

1. Right click My Computer / Properties / Hardware (tab) / Device Manager
  2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
  3. Right click drive / Properties / Details (tab) and may need to scroll to the right to see firmware. Seems that v1.04 is the most current.
    Make sure to read how to update firmware so you don’t end up with a paper weight. Here is the NEC firmware update page. http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/

If you’re feeling brave, you can also use hacked firmware. If so, do a Google search on the subject.

I understand that is fairly old but if it recognizes the disks when burning then why doesnt it after it has been burnt

Are they -Rs by any chance?

If so, have a read of this (rather long) thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/

[QUOTE=gat227;2034779]I understand that is fairly old but if it recognizes the disks when burning then why doesnt it after it has been burnt[/QUOTE]

Because you have used LOW GRADE media. :frowning:

Cheap media is one of the largest causes of playback problems in standalones, pc’s, and consoles. It’s also the one so many newbies refuse to accept as a valid cause of failure.

The only discs allowed near my burners and my standalone players are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

Almost 1500 discs later…the only problem i have is where i’m going to put them all. :bigsmile:

[quote=7thSinger;2035051]Cheap media is one of the largest causes of playback problems in standalones, pc’s, and consoles. It’s also the one so many newbies refuse to accept as a valid cause of failure.

The only discs allowed near my burners and my standalone players are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

Almost 1500 discs later…the only problem i have is where i’m going to put them all. :bigsmile:[/quote]

Well said, good post. :clap: :iagree: :clap:

[QUOTE=7thSinger;2035051]Cheap media is one of the largest causes of playback problems in standalones, pc’s, and consoles. It’s also the one so many newbies refuse to accept as a valid cause of failure.

Almost 1500 discs later…the only problem i have is where i’m going to put them all. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha…I too agree with that :bigsmile:

Mind you, I’m about to put the cat among the pigeons, so to speak. Certain mediacodes (RICOHJPN R03, CMC MAG E01/AM3) also work very well for me…but YMMV on these, so Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are defintely the safest bets for trouble-free burning/playback :wink:

@Beef Barley
Thanks. I certainly did my fair share of blank media experimentation in my own newbie days, and i learned the lesson i now try to share freely with others, the hard way.

[I]originally posted by: Arachne [/I]

Mind you, I’m about to put the cat among the pigeons, so to speak. Certain mediacodes (RICOHJPN R03, CMC MAG E01/AM3) also work very well for me…but YMMV on these, so Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden are defintely the safest bets for trouble-free burning/playback

On one of my burners i had some moderate luck with RICOJPN R03’s, not so much with CMC MAG’s. But, i’ve literally found it easier to operate under the assumption of impending errors. But, that’s just me.