Heya! Question for Plextor 708 owners!

I recently was able to get a pioneer 106 drive for 100 dollars :slight_smile: yes very cheap :slight_smile: i did not have time to test it yet but to be honest my heart is set on the plextor :slight_smile: and i can sell the pioneer drive to one of my friends.

How do u guys like your plextor drive and did anyone try to copy securom with it using BW. I know it can copy savedisk with no problems!
Does it have the same capabilities as the premium?
Is the 8x speed worth the price or am better with the pioneer!

Thank you!

Originally posted by DrQ
I recently was able to get a pioneer 106 drive for 100 dollars :slight_smile: yes very cheap :slight_smile: i did not have time to test it yet but to be honest my heart is set on the plextor :slight_smile: and i can sell the pioneer drive to one of my friends.

How do u guys like your plextor drive and did anyone try to copy securom with it using BW. I know it can copy savedisk with no problems!

I prefer the pioneer over it due to better write quality and media compatibility. No it can’t do latest securom. The only advantage I see is the faster 8X DVD+R write and 40X CD-Write…else I would kept the pioneer…

Does it have the same capabilities as the premium?

Nope, no errorstesting, no gigarec etc, so it do not have the premium features :frowning: it do not even have 8Mb buffer (only 2Mb)

Is the 8x speed worth the price or am better with the pioneer!

Not yet, wait for the 8X dual pioneer(and other brands as well lilke LG and samsung)… 8X DVD-R as well :wink:

as always thank u very much oc! :slight_smile:

i think am going to stick with the pioneer for now! :slight_smile:

thx again!

I would go for the Plextor but perhaps I’m not totally unbiased :bigsmile:

When you use proper media the Plextor drive works very well and I have yet to see a manufacturer that updates their firmware so often as Plextor does. Besides that they have excellent support and, in my case, the PX-708A works great. Yes there are problems with several software packages like Nero for example but Plextor is not to blame for this. Nero 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.45 are the recommended versions to use with this Plextor drive.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Yes there are problems with several software packages like Nero for example but Plextor is not to blame for this. Nero 5.5.10.42 and 5.5.10.45 are the recommended versions to use with this Plextor drive.

Plextor is not to blame for this? As I see it plextor have done some hardware/firmware changes that causes this problem so I think plextor may be able to fix this problem by a firmware upgrade as well, and not only by program updates. for example CD-mate do also have this problem and CD-Mate have generic drive support, but for a reason or another this do not work with the plex, leading me to think it may be fixed by a firmware upgrade as well…

Yes plextor updates firmware often, since they do have some issues to work out :wink: Pioneer is as far as my experience goes pretty perfected already, no need for firmware upgrades…not yet anyway.

If Plextor were to blame for the Nero problems then why is it that Nero gave Hammer0id this reply to his problem:

Originally posted by Hammer0id
I’ve written ahead an email describing the problem with discs not closing. Here’s their answer: (translated from german to english)

[quote]Hello Mr. …

thx for your email,

This Problem is already known.

Please download the new update for nero 6 in the beginning of november from www.nero.com
[/quote]The same applies to DVDXCopy. There were problems with this software but 321 released an update and the problems were fixed.

Ahead’s email doesn’t necessarily mean, that it was their fault.
Compare it with the problem Mandrake had with LG drives for example.
Sure, Mandrake was able to fix this, but LG were the ones that built drives which did not meet the ATAPI specs.

Yes just look at graphic cards and graphic card driver bugs. It’s the card manufacturers faults but the software/game developers is finding ways around the bugs so it works.

I think it’s the same with the plextor, it’s plextor’s fault but the software developers may re-write the software to make it work anyway. :slight_smile:

Well I refuse to believe that because why is it that the drive works perfect with other builds of the Nero software like v5.5.10.45 which Plextor recommends using (and includes with the retail version of the PX-708A drive)?

Maybe it is Plextor’s fault but as long as the problems are solved I don’t really care. All I know is that my drive works very well with the media I’ve thrown at it (and those were not all A-brands).