Hey there! DVD problem here

vbimport

Hey there guys, love the forum here, spent a couple of hours lurking through threads and I love what you guys do.

So I have a problem with burning my MP4 video file to my disc.

The player in question is a Panasonic BD35 that will play regular DVDs fine, and Blu-ray DVDs. I have tried the DVD Flick program to burn the file to the disc, which has burned correctly (to my knowledge), but on the BR player it says that there is nothing burned to the disc. After burning, the disc will play the movie in question to my computer without fault.

I have tried to the burn the DVD with DVD Flick in NSTC and NSTC-film formats offered by DVD Flick. I am in the U.S. The player was acquired from my brother who lives in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also tried to follow a sticky linked in an older post, but it led to an invalid link. The link to the sticky was posted by an admin, I think.

[QUOTE=Vexas;2648436]Hey there guys, love the forum here, spent a couple of hours lurking through threads and I love what you guys do.

So I have a problem with burning my MP4 video file to my disc.

The player in question is a Panasonic BD35 that will play regular DVDs fine, and Blu-ray DVDs. I have tried the DVD Flick program to burn the file to the disc, which has burned correctly (to my knowledge), but on the BR player it says that there is nothing burned to the disc. After burning, the disc will play the movie in question to my computer without fault.

I have tried to the burn the DVD with DVD Flick in NSTC and NSTC-film formats offered by DVD Flick. I am in the U.S. The player was acquired from my brother who lives in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also tried to follow a sticky linked in an older post, but it led to an invalid link. The link to the sticky was posted by an admin, I think.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vexas

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Most play back issues can be related to poor to low quality media used and/or burning to fast , DVD Flick does not give you the option of selecting a burn/write speed I recommend using ImgBurn for your burning needs it is free and highly recommended by most members.

Also in some cases when a standalone player can’t play a back up copy it can also be that a +R media was used and if the standalone does not support the +R type media then you will need to set booktype to DVD-rom if your burner support it, which again this can’t be done by DVD Flick BUT ImgBurn can as long as your burner support it.

If you dig in the settings within DVDFlick, you’ll find the burning speed option. And Flick uses ImgBurn, so if Vexas burned using the settings within Flick, he was doing the actual burn with ImgBurn.

The problem may be poor quality discs as StormJumper mentioned. We generally recommend Verbatim ([B]not[/B] the Life Series variety of Verbatim) and Taiyo Yuden blank dvds. You can find them online at many different stores, like Rima, Supermediastore, Amazon, etc.

I prefer the 8x +R Taiyo Yuden personally. Burn them at 8x. The 16x varieties of Verbatim and TY I normally burn at 8 or 12x, depending on the burner.

If the dvd you’ve created with Flick works ok in the computer, then Flick has probably done its job ok. You’ve just run into a picky player in this Panasonic.

Hi SJ , At times I’m not a DVDFlick fan but you can set the burn speed . It uses ImgBurn for it’s burning engine . It however is still using an older version of ImgBurn.
I think all you need to do is add the ImgBurn.exe & maybe the ImgBurnPreveiw.exe & the ImgBurn.ini files from the latest ImgBurn version in Program files.
My self I always rip to the hard drive & then use ImgBurn by itself so I have even more control over it.
That is why DVDFlick in my Program Files still has the older version.
Posted almost the same info as Kerry.

Hey Kerry

Was not aware DVDFlick uses ImgBurn because I have never used it for burning thanks. :cool:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2648447]If you dig in the settings within DVDFlick, you’ll find the burning speed option. And Flick uses ImgBurn, so if Vexas burned using the settings within Flick, he was doing the actual burn with ImgBurn.

The problem may be poor quality discs as StormJumper mentioned. We generally recommend Verbatim ([B]not[/B] the Life Series variety of Verbatim) and Taiyo Yuden blank dvds. You can find them online at many different stores, like Rima, Supermediastore, Amazon, etc.

I prefer the 8x +R Taiyo Yuden personally. Burn them at 8x. The 16x varieties of Verbatim and TY I normally burn at 8 or 12x, depending on the burner.

If the dvd you’ve created with Flick works ok in the computer, then Flick has probably done its job ok. You’ve just run into a picky player in this Panasonic.[/QUOTE]

I realize my hyperlink didn’t really work, but I’m using the Verbatim 1PK DVD-RAM 9.4GB 3X DS-TYPE IV ( 95003 ) from amazon.com, purchased recently.

Also, if you refer to this link, it shows the compatibility options of my player. I think it’s fine, if I’m reading that right.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2648444]Hi Vexas

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Most play back issues can be related to poor to low quality media used and/or burning to fast , DVD Flick does not give you the option of selecting a burn/write speed I recommend using ImgBurn for your burning needs it is free and highly recommended by most members.

Also in some cases when a standalone player can’t play a back up copy it can also be that a +R media was used and if the standalone does not support the +R type media then you will need to set booktype to DVD-rom if your burner support it, which again this can’t be done by DVD Flick BUT ImgBurn can as long as your burner support it.[/QUOTE]

How do I set the booktype to DVD-rom in ImgBurn/DVD Flick?

Also, as Kerry said earlier, DVD Flick DOES use ImgBurn for its burning tech.

ImgBurn will change your burning drives booktype to DVD-ROM if it has the capability available.
Tools/Drive/Change Booktype
Select your drive manufacturer Tab.
Use the pulldowns for the media type you want to use DVD-ROM .
Select the Change button.
Do this for each media type.
It should tell you success .

[QUOTE=cholla;2648460]ImgBurn will change your burning drives booktype to DVD-ROM if it has the capability available.
Tools/Drive/Change Booktype
Select your drive manufacturer Tab.
Use the pulldowns for the media type you want to use DVD-ROM .
Select the Change button.
Do this for each media type.
It should tell you success .[/QUOTE]

Thanks, gonna do yet another attempt using DVD Flick and ImgBurn

You should be able to use ImgBurn by itself if you still have the DVD folder created by DVDFlick . Same for setting the booktype.
You only need DVDFlick if you are doing the conversion again.

Setting to dvd-rom does not apply for DVD-Ram discs.

Looking at the specifications for the player, it supports DVD-VR, JPEG (HD), and AVCHD on DVD-Ram discs, but not straight dvd-video. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-BD35K?t=specs&support#tabs

I missed that Vexas was using a DVD-RAM disc. That is what he posted.
Kerry is correct the DVD-ROM booktype settings doesn’t apply for that .

I’m curious as the what is meant by DVD -VR.

DVD-VR is a format made by dvd recorders. Take a look at the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-VR

DVD-VR isn’t entirely compliant to dvd-video specs.

So what should I do? Sorry, not very technologically skilled

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2648477]DVD-VR is a format made by dvd recorders. Take a look at the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-VR

DVD-VR isn’t entirely compliant to dvd-video specs.[/QUOTE]
I thought that was the -VR mode that Vista & I’ve checked on a Windows 7 laptop . Both see a disc recorded in -VR mode as blank.

@ Vexas . Is there a reason you are using a DVD-RAM disc ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2648488]I thought that was the -VR mode that Vista & I’ve checked on a Windows 7 laptop . Both see a disc recorded in -VR mode as blank.

@ Vexas . Is there a reason you are using a DVD-RAM disc ?[/QUOTE]

I bought it, i dunno. Seemed cheap and what I needed. I can always return it, thank god for amazon.

What should I get instead that would work on my Panasonic BD35?

Get these TY 8x +R

or these 16x +R TY

or if you’d prefer to buy a small 25ct cakebox, try these Verbatim 16x +R..

And here is a more economical 50 pack of Verbatim.

But you get the idea. -R would also work for you if you prefer them over the +R discs.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2648490]Get these TY 8x +R

or these 16x +R TY

or if you’d prefer to buy a small 25ct cakebox, try these Verbatim 16x +R..

And here is a more economical 50 pack of Verbatim.

But you get the idea. -R would also work for you if you prefer them over the +R discs.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I dont know the difference, but thank you so much for your help. Appreciate it greatly!

One final question: if my DVD isn’t used for DVD players or BR players, than what is my DVD-Ram used for?

No problem. We’re here to help if we can. Let us know how it works out.

DVD-Ram is a re-writable disc. Most dvd players can playback dvd-video written on it with no issues, as long as the disc is closed. Your blu ray player is something of an anomaly in this. DVD Ram is often times used in dvd recorders to capture tv programs, then you erase and write over it again.

[QUOTE=Vexas;2648494] One final question: if my DVD isn’t used for DVD players or BR players, than what is my DVD-Ram used for?[/QUOTE]
You might want to keep the DVD-RAM disc it works like a hard drive of the size it is . When used with a computer . I have a couple I’ve played with.
On your Panasonic BD35 the DVD-RAM will play but what it plays has to be a DVD-VR, JPEG (HD), AVCHD format recording. None of those are the DVD Compliant format that DVDFlick created.