Hex Editing Experts. Help!

vbimport

Because of the frequent use of “geek talk” by the experts & our limited understanding of the subject, hex editing seems very confusing to us “newbies”. This is a plea to the “knowledgeable” on this forum to help their brothers to learn a bit.

I just wish one of the hex wizards would use the screen shots available at “Hex Workshop” support to help step us thru it just one time. Nearly all of the “How to” is already there. However clarification is needed on some points. We could probably do it from then on by ourselves.

http://www.bpsoft.com/reference/howto.html

Any & all help will be very much appreciated.

Another suggestion: Could a very easy to use hex editor for “newbies” be suggested along with the request from patriot1, speaking for myself, many of these programs are very intimidating. I envy the vast amount of knowledge all the people on this site have. I respect the achievments you have gained. I have been enjoying my retirement for the past four years, but am afraid some of my brain cells have taken retirement literally. Keep up the good work and if you could possibly share some of your wisdom, I would be deeply thankful.
Quote: Three fourths of the Earths surface is water, so should we not be spending three fourths of out time on the water?
Regards: Pop’s

Go to my ILO Firmware page. Near the top is a link to a program that will hack most LiteOn/ILO recorders to make them Region Free, Macrovision Free and enable 3-Hour LP mode. It has been tested on some but not all, but it is based on the hex locations for these hacks that have stayed consistant throughout all firmware versions so it should work on any unmodified firmware file.

I hope this helps

Guitarman1, thanks for the info, I downloaded that yesterday and used it to look at the new 1098 unhacked from LiteOn and it came up with a message “cannot find string” tried it on a hacked version and same answer??

Hi Pop’s

Im in the UK found this subject very mind blowing since in the swinging sixties when I was a school we didn’t have calculators never mind Hex, sorry I am straying tried XV15 whatever couldn’t use it. but found this Cygnus Hex
http://www.softcircuits.com/ its a trial but much easier to use.
(Also see your private Messages) Now looking at XV15 what ever again as its
free seem to be making headway with it. Are You Like Me an Oldie but Goodie
Once you get into this Hex thing Its not too bad, I only sorted it 3days ago
Les.

Have a go at The Dreaded Hex, attachment Hex editor which works for me
also open windows calculator Scientific mode Hex ticked use like normal
calc e.g. F1+4=F5, or 2F+2=31.
Make a copy of 1098 save it to a different location so you dont get
a name change has to be the same name. and you have a back up copy of
firmware Just in case

Using Cygnus Hex Editor
Once hex editor installed File tab>>open LNFA1098. with editor a lot of numbers
and things will come up.

Next Edit tab>>find another box opens type in
55 53 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 press find alter last 2 digits to 01(USA)
55 53 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 press find alter last 2 digits to 01(UK)
NB UK Fware 0098
repeat
00 00 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 1B alter last 2 to 1F Both regions the Same

next Hex (UseWindows Calculator Scientific in Hex setting)

Edit tab>>> Go to box will open ensure Hexadecimal Ticked
Type in 0X47( does not put X in) press find
The value it finds (normally blinks by side) add 1 to that value ie 87+1 =88 or BC+1=BD
type in 0xEB at value add 5
type in 0XA7 at value add 4
Save as per original ie LNFA1098 .ES3
Burn to disc cdrw at ISO 9660 as a multi session disc

I use Nero

Another tip if your machine rejects disc go to set up and reset to default
When done insert 1098 patch should accept it this seems to work for many
people according to posts on forum

As A guide Hex is based on A B C D E F 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B c and so on and 2 indices a
combination of letters numbers or both eg AF 07 B7 8C F9
When the letter reaches F and you add to it goes to numbers if its the 2nd index and the first index moved up by 1 ie.AF+5= B4 or 9F+4=A3
If it is the 1st index ie F9+3=FC

Hope This is Clear

To laffinorse, you have been a tremendous help. I am actually begining to catch on to this. I have downloaded the free trial of Cygnue and can actually find things with it. I am going to print out your last post and get going on learning the rest of the procedure. I will keep in touch. Excellent instructions you have provided. Again I can’t thank you enough. It gives me a very good feeling that there are people like you on this site. Have a great evening.

Just looked at LNHA 1098.ES3 to patch (USA)and string
00 00 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 1B is already
00 00 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 1F

Over here in the UK and on LNFA1093.ES3 (USA) its still 1B
IN the Uk we have to alter as per the above post to enable 3hr mode and no m/v. Does it indicate that LNHA 1098.ES3 already has a 3hr mode

Laffinorse, Thanks much! Good stuff this! Should prove to be very helpful to us Newbs.

I follow most of this ok but please expand on (clarify) "next Hex (UseWindows Calculator Scientific in Hex setting)

Edit tab>>> Go to box will open ensure Hexadecimal Ticked
Type in 0X47( does not put X in) press find"!

As I see it, these are two different utilities/steps. It’s confusing to me just what is meant by them.

Best regards

All that means Next Step use the editor along with windows calc set to scientific mode Hex ticked

Edit tab>>> Go to means next step at the top of editor
File edit Etc Like Windows

Use the Edit tab to open the menu
select go to option to find ie 0x47(hex)
select Find to search for 55 53 etc strings
Hope this clarifies a bit

Thanks for the clarification Laffinorse, it sure helped.

You said “All that means, Next Step use the editor along with windows calc set to scientific mode Hex ticked”! I understand this to mean that the calculator is used as an aid to determine the revised value that is to be entered in the appropriate location on the Hex editor. Is this correct?

I don’t seem to have any difficulty comprehending the Hex String step but the Hex Address step still eludes me.

I don’t see what I’m expecting to see when I do the hex address step. In the “Go To” box, I enter a hex address (let’s say 0X47). The cursor jumps to some location however, what’s there doesn’t look like what other posters describe (either before or after it’s edited).

For instance, with an original LNFA1091.ESU; doing step “Go To 0X47”, the blinking cursor jumps to the right of 98 in the value “9800” on line 0000003C. With LNFA1098.ES3; the cursor jumps to right of 06 in the value “06B0” on line 0000003C. In another post, (referring to I believe, 1091) it says “At 0X47, the value there is B0”! I don’t see “B0” or “0X47” anywhere on the line where the cursor lands.

This puzzles me. Am I missing some thing? Either those posts are working with a different firmware, or I’m still not following the logic. Please help me to better understand the hex address step.

Best regards

Patriot 1

Your right with the first part, But I believe each downlad of firmware
is tied to serial number and the values at the locations would be different
for each serial number therfore if say 0x47 = 68 just add 1 making 69
do the same for each 0xEB and OXa7 You wont see the code you put In.
its finding the value for that code. where the cursar blinks just amend that value. All this thread is doing is showing you how to amend the fireware
to enable 3hr Mode or Disable Macrovision, I think you may be thinking to
Technical. I do not understand how to write Firmware all I understand is the
Basis of how Hexdecimal works and how to edit , following previous posts given in these forums

Hope this is of Help

Hi Laffinorse, Thanks for the reply - it’s appreciated.

After trial & error, I came to the conclusion that my confusion was due to failure to understand that Liteon firmware is as different as are dogs. I was looking at the result some poster got with his firmware which was quite different from the one I was trying to compare it to.

I’m now getting very repeatable results that make sense, so I think I’ve finally gotten my brain wrapped around this subject. Of course, you & Workknot have helped greatly to get me up on the learning curve.

Bst regards

Hello to patriot1, did the file get to you OK this time. Bad connections on my end again. Has anyone been able to determine exactly what the following Hex numbers change? I am trying to figure out exactly which hacks to do for MV free, I have 3hr mode and can change region with remote.
0x47 what change does this make if hacked?
0xEB what change does this make if hacked?
0xA7 what change does this make if hacked?
Hopefully someone can help us out here, the rest of the hex editing has been figured out.

laffinorse,

The reason for the serial number before download is because they are using one page for 4-6 recorders. The serial number tells them which recorder you have so you can download the right firmware file. There are more than 1 version of the 5001, 5005, 5006 and so on. Each version of the 5005 might have different hardware components that need to be taken into consideration in firmware. The serial number will determine that.

Everyone that has a 5005A wil get the same firmware file, not different ones base on individual serial numbers.

I have the ILO HD04 which is basically a rebadged LVW-5020. The ILO R04 now has 2 different firmware updates because newer productions have a different DVD burner in them. I’m sure that is what’s happening with the Liteons.

Hello had1, patriot1 and laffinorse.
Below is the instructions I have been using to work with the Hex Editor “Cygnus”, I find this free trial program relativly user friendly.
Cygnus Hex Editor

Open program
Use Toolbar on top. Select File > Open > Locate your file and select.
File to be edited will display in window.
Use Toolbar on top. Select Edit > Find > a new window will open.
In the Find window, the Down button is ticked.
Then type in the string you want to find: 55 53 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
Click on the Find Next button.
If that string is in the file, it will show in the main window highlighted.
You can replace text or digits by selecting with mouse. Make sure OVR is in the lower right tray.
OVR ( Overwrite )
Repeat the Find process for strings to be found.

To locate: 0x47 0xEB and 0xA7
Use Toolbar on top. Select Edit > Go To and a new window will open.
In this Go To window, be sure Hexadecimal is ticked.
If not already Highlighted, Highlight the figures in the typing window.
Type in the 0x47 Click on OK and the Cursor will be Blinking on the left edge of the value.
Highlight this value with mouse and replace with conversion you get on Scientific Calculator.
Be sure OVR is in lower right tray for Overwrite.
If using Windows Scientific Calculator, make sure HEX and BYTE are ticked.
Repeat Go To process to find 0xEB and 0xA7

Note: It is not necessary to use Caps in the Go To window.
Save and Close program.
Hack away friends.

What model of recorder do you have?? If it is a model that comes from the factory with LP mode, that would cause the “cannot find string” error since it is looking for the string with that bit turned off. The program also continues to be updated as issues are brought to light. Here is a version list:

Version History:

1.3b - Fixed an issue where some LiteOn firmware checksums were not correct.
1.3 - Added LP Mode hack for more LiteOn Firmwares (XXXX1098 included)
1.2b - Fixed bug that would add LP mode hack to firmwares that did not need it.
1.2 - Added ability to hack DVDRHD04 to enable LP Mode (3HR mode)
1.1 - Added ability to hack all regions of firmware & liteon firmware
1.0 - Initial Release

Guitarman 1, I found my shortcoming, was not understanding the proceedure until now. I downloaded the new version ILOHacker 1.3b, then did some further checking after I figured out the Hex Edit program I was using. Found the first attempt with the “Hacker”, did make a change in the 55 53 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 and changed it to 55 53 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 making the Firmware “Region Free” and disabled “Macro”. I went ahead a loaded the modified Firmaware into my LiteOn LVW 5005a Sept. 04 and all is well here. The only thing I can’t yet figure out is how to use the Simple Hex Editor 1.0 that I downloaded from the ILOHacker site. When I try to find ( 0x47 ), the program shows me the whole top address row and it is all highlighted. Therefore I can not seem to be able to find what has changed?? Thanks to all memebers for the expert help here. Keep up the good work.