Hewlett-Packard CDR: Made by who? Ricoh?

Does anyone know who makes HP branded CDR these days? In the old days, it used to be Ricoh, Mitsui, or TY.

On a related note, does anyone know of any Ricoh-made CDRs available in the US?

In the US, it seems like the only choices for CDR are those made by TY, Moser Baer, CMC, or Ritek. I do use and like TY, but I’m looking for some Phthylocyanine alternatives to use with my Plextor Premium at high speeds. I’ve had mixed results with Ritek (one spindle, soon to be depleted, works beautifully, but the others I’ve tried are … not so good). CMC and Moser Baer are no good. (Remember, I’m talking specifically about full-speed 52X burns). I have a couple of old unbranded Ricoh disks that a friend gave me recently that worked wonderfully, but they’re gone now.

I’m guessing CMC, that’s what most (basically all) of their DVD media is. CMC CD-Rs burn better for me than Moser Baer, I’ve had no issues with them at all. But then I’ve never even burned a disc faster than 40x before, I’ll wait the extra 20-30 seconds and burn at 32x for improved burns and jitter levels.

Is there some reason you burn them at 52x?

I usually burn my disks 40x or lower as well. I’m burning a bunch of disks for my sister as a Christmas gift to her friends, so I’m just going full speed ahead. I suppose it won’t save me that much time/trouble to lower the speed, but what the heck.

Even if you burn 20, you are talking about maybe 30 minutes saved, if that. Just burn them at 32x and anything but the most horrible media will work perfectly fine.

HP=CMC here.