Herrie's NEC 2500A firmware and discussion (beta 9)

vbimport

#1

I just worked on Beta 9a of the booktype firmware. This version is based on HP 420i 1.24 firmware :slight_smile: I implemented the +R writing strategies from the 1.06 NEC 2500A firmware.

Problem with Beta 9 causing “Power Calibration Error” on all DVD-R media at all speeds should be solved now

The problems with most DVD-R’s which should work @ 8x only working @ 6x should be fixed now! Most common 4x DVD+R’s and 4x DVD-R’s should work @ 8x now!

For DVD-R the FUJIFILM03 strategy is used, for DVD+R the PHILIPS 081 strategy!

Added support for the following discs:
OPTODISCOR8 8x DVD+R @ 8x
OPTODISCOP4 4x DVD+RW @ 4x
OPTODISCK001 4x DVD-R @ 8x
OPTODISCR04 4x DVD-R @ 8x

I also added a version identifier after several requests :slight_smile:

Have fun testing!

Get it here:
Windows: http://herrie.rpc1.org/downloads/2k5107b9a.rar
DOS: http://herrie.rpc1.org/downloads/2k5107b9a-dos.rar

Please post your results! Set the booktype with DVDInfoPro and burn with RecordNow Max!

Donations using Paypal are always welcome of course :slight_smile:


#2

the same bad writing quali as with b7 and b8.


#3

Originally posted by konsolen
the same bad writing quali as with b7 and b8.

Bad quality with what?


#4

It should work OK now :slight_smile: Just burned an OPTODISCR004 DVD-R @ 8x :slight_smile:


#5

I have beta 7. Is it save to update to 9? Will this be better then the previous firmware? Sometimes I get coaster with 6x burn sometimes not. I have 100pk of LONGTEN001 only. Any advice?


#6

Please tell me what is this? I updated to the beta 9. My LONGTEN001 burns at 8X now! I tried my first burn. It spins like crazy for few times in the drive b4 it starts burning. Half way through the burning, it spins for few times again and continue burning. At 8X using NERO, takes 10 minute to burn the full DVD. As I know, 8X should only takes about 8min and I tried 6X before and it’s about 10 min. Please tell me what’s wrong. THanks!

Anyway, Thanks Herrie.


#7

as stated by many others on this forum, the ND-2500a isn’t a true 8x burner. it burns at 8x fairly late in the entire process and therefore you won’t see a huge difference going from 6x to 8x. Testing shows a full disc at 8x will take about 10:30 while drives like the Pioneer DVR-107d will take only 8:30 or so.

If i’m not mistaken, the NEC drive uses Z-CLV method to burn to dvds at 6x and 8x write speeds.


#8

Reviews on CDFREAKS does shows ND2500 takes 9:30min to finish at 8X. I’m confused.


#9

Originally posted by Herrie
[B]I just worked on Beta 9a of the booktype firmware. This version is based on HP 420i 1.24 firmware :slight_smile: I implemented the +R writing strategies from the 1.06 NEC 2500A firmware.

Problem with Beta 9 causing “Power Calibration Error” on all DVD-R media at all speeds should be solved now

The problems with most DVD-R’s which should work @ 8x only working @ 6x should be fixed now! Most common 4x DVD+R’s and 4x DVD-R’s should work @ 8x now!:)[/b]

(CUT)
With beta9a, Princo DVD-Rs reverted from 8x (beta9, not tested in real burn) or 6x (beta7 & 8, tested in real burns) to 4x :eek:


#10

Originally posted by yvliew
Reviews on CDFREAKS does shows ND2500 takes 9:30min to finish at 8X. I’m confused.

It’s EXACTLY the time I get here with 8x media; no clues about your issue:confused:


#11

Well I cant say for princo and 8x but I can say that 1.07B9a does cmc mag F01 4x@8x and althought I have gotten better burns with this media on my lite-on 811 with HS0Q f/w this is not really all that bad.

Dvd Decrypter 3.2.2.0 for iso burn

4.2gb iso file used for test

Bitsetting = DVD+R



#12

compare to above same media same data but burned on lite-on 401@811 HS0Q with cmc F01 speed hacked to let it burn at 8x

Dvd Decrypter 3.2.2.0 for iso burn

4.2gb iso file used for test.

Bitsetting = DVD+R



#13

My 4x Optodisc and 4x Leda now have an 8x burning option!
Thanks! :smiley:


#14

Is it my media or my drive?? FAILED at 8X… No success at all… Now i’m gonna try 6X… With beta7, my 6X works… now lets see



#15

I tried to burn a 4x Leda at 8x…
the 4x and 6x zones seemed ok, nice and bight, but the 8x zone looked very dim compared to the other two. None of my drives can read anything written in the 8x zone, it’s as if nothing was written there at all!


#16

I can confirm that there’s still something very wrong with 8x burning on DVD-R media. Ritek G04 that burns great at 6x in B8, the disc looks un-burned in the 8x zone, and Kprobe confirms a serious problem.



#17

rdgrimes:

your 8x level looks like what my dvd+RW 4x looks like if i erase it on 2500 but dont write to it and kprobe the erased disk
the whole disk is 1400 pi hehehe

interestingly enough if i erase the dvd+rw at 2.4x on 2500 then the kprobe level of the erased disk is about pi 10. hmmm wonder why that is.


#18

persionaly.

i think beta 7 is the best version out so far.

beta 8/9/9a are getting worse imho

:confused:


#19

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I can confirm that there’s still something very wrong with 8x burning on DVD-R media. Ritek G04 that burns great at 6x in B8, the disc looks un-burned in the 8x zone, and Kprobe confirms a serious problem.

Here’s the same media burned at 6x with 9a:



#20

so it looks really good at 6x i may just use this at 6x till the bugs are out…plus my optos are now supported!