Herrie's 1.08 firmware question

vbimport

did i just see a kprobe2 scan on the media forum with herries new 1.08 firmware?? ie are you using it and if so how is it?

It’s very nice…:bigsmile:
Still see occasional issues with +RW at 4x, but not too bad.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It’s very nice…:bigsmile:
Still see occasional issues with +RW at 4x, but not too bad.

any clues on release date? hehe…rubs hands…:stuck_out_tongue:

He tells me “soon”, maybe tomorrow.

How ironic my 2500 arrives tomarrow :slight_smile:

8x -R is fully functional with very high quality on most media.

All the Ritek G04 lovers will be very happy too.

[B]

All the Ritek G04 lovers will be very happy too. [/B]

its just sad that people love that media so much…its so variable i could show you scans that wildly vary from disk to disk even using herries g04 patch, im definatly not a fan of that media…sure you may be lucky for a batch or two…but once you get a bad one…well youll see;)

personally i really love prodisc dvd+r 4x media cheap at .65 each and imho alot more reliable than riteks. burns very nice with herries 107 beta 7 fw.

Originally posted by Jamos
[B]its just sad that people love that media so much…its so variable i could show you scans that wildly vary from disk to disk even using herries g04 patch, im definatly not a fan of that media…sure you may be lucky for a batch or two…but once you get a bad one…well youll see;)

personally i really love prodisc dvd+r 4x media cheap at .65 each and imho alot more reliable than riteks. burns very nice with herries 107 beta 7 fw. [/B]

The main voicers of Ritek are the Europeans (UK myself) as it is the most readily available half decent media that is sold as being A grade. No TY to be found here… certainly not at decent prices.

I myself use DATASAFE Ritek G04s - and as you said even the results of these seem to vary pack to pack. But one thing is for sure… even with PI hitting 1000 on some discs (Liteon165H) they still play on my 4 year old Sony DVD player which is extremly picky.

A while back i read few good things about the PRODISCS03… and they were cheaper than my Riteks… i couldn’t believe the burns at x8 with them. So i got hold of some from SVP under the Bulkpaq label.

They turned out to be complete crap for me. Writting above 3.8G was giving me speed graphs that looked more like a graph of my angry heartbeat. After 3 straigh coasters they went back and SVP where understanding enough to swap them for my regular Datasafe Riteks.

One day i hope to have graphs that remotely match what i see on these forums… bring on 1.08 !

[B]8x -R is fully functional with very high quality on most media.

All the Ritek G04 lovers will be very happy too. [/B]

Yesterday i upgraded FW to Herriesstock and did a burn on DATASAFE Ritek G04 at x8 - coaster. Speed graph showed problems clearly and my standalone dvd player would not read DVD.

I used RecordNow DX 4.6 to backup the movie of about 3.6G at x8. Another burn at X6 worked ok even though the PI was very high (my usual level of burn result).

I also did a burn on DATASAFE DVDRW RICOHJPNW11 and it did not play in my standalone DVD but player on the computers DVD.
The same DVD previously had a movie burnt on it (NO BITSETTING used) with FW 1.07B7 and that had played fine on my standalone dvd player. In fact i got the best PI readings ever with it. I did an erase with RecrodNow DX 4.6 before burning the new movie files to it. Not sure if the herriesstock firmware is to blame for this…
I am going to rollback to 1.07b7 later today and reburn the DVDRW and see if i can get it play this time in the standalone player.

Originally posted by ArchV
[B]Yesterday i upgraded FW to Herriesstock and did a burn on DATASAFE Ritek G04 at x8 - coaster. Speed graph showed problems clearly and my standalone dvd player would not read DVD.

I used RecordNow DX 4.6 to backup the movie of about 3.6G at x8. Another burn at X6 worked ok even though the PI was very high (my usual level of burn result).
[/B]

Please keep in mind there are 2 different G04’s (which require a different writing strategy). My firmware fixes the problem with the ‘newer’ type, also G04 is available in many quality grades.

So there are too many variables to tell where the problem lies.

I can only speak for myself: I tried 3 different brands of G04 myself and all show very OK results in Kprobe! A very clear improvement over discs burned @ 4x with official 1.06 or 1.07. In fact the PI/PO level with the “herriestock” firmware @ 8x are better then the ones with official 1.06 and 1.07 @ 4x

Herrie ETA on 1.08?

Originally posted by mikeyb
Herrie ETA on 1.08?

The more you ask, the more it’ll be delayed!

:frowning: Sorry Good work though! It will only be better if it’s delayed right! :smiley:

Originally posted by Herrie
[B]Please keep in mind there are 2 different G04’s (which require a different writing strategy). My firmware fixes the problem with the ‘newer’ type, also G04 is available in many quality grades.

I can only speak for myself: I tried 3 different brands of G04 myself and all show very OK results in Kprobe! A very clear improvement over discs burned @ 4x with official 1.06 or 1.07. In fact the PI/PO level with the “herriestock” firmware @ 8x are better then the ones with official 1.06 and 1.07 @ 4x [/B]

What brand labels of G04 have you used Herrie to get good results… Hoping i can get them in uk.

Also about the DVDRW i mentioned in earlier posting. After i rolled back to 1.07b7 and i erased it with Recordnow max and burnt same files again. It works perfectly in standalone DVD player this time. Weird ?? any ideas… writing strategy or just luck ??

Great work as always Herrie

Originally posted by ArchV
[B]The main voicers of Ritek are the Europeans (UK myself) as it is the most readily available half decent media that is sold as being A grade. No TY to be found here… certainly not at decent prices.

I myself use DATASAFE Ritek G04s - and as you said even the results of these seem to vary pack to pack. But one thing is for sure… even with PI hitting 1000 on some discs (Liteon165H) they still play on my 4 year old Sony DVD player which is extremly picky.

A while back i read few good things about the PRODISCS03… and they were cheaper than my Riteks… i couldn’t believe the burns at x8 with them. So i got hold of some from SVP under the Bulkpaq label.

They turned out to be complete crap for me. Writting above 3.8G was giving me speed graphs that looked more like a graph of my angry heartbeat. After 3 straigh coasters they went back and SVP where understanding enough to swap them for my regular Datasafe Riteks.

One day i hope to have graphs that remotely match what i see on these forums… bring on 1.08 ! [/B]

not talking bout 03s i use the dvd+R pro04s…:wink:

Originally posted by Herrie
[B]Please keep in mind there are 2 different G04’s (which require a different writing strategy). My firmware fixes the problem with the ‘newer’ type, also G04 is available in many quality grades.

I can only speak for myself: I tried 3 different brands of G04 myself and all show very OK results in Kprobe! A very clear improvement over discs burned @ 4x with official 1.06 or 1.07. In fact the PI/PO level with the “herriestock” firmware @ 8x are better then the ones with official 1.06 and 1.07 @ 4x [/B]

im not saying my burns are not ok. they are fine. im saying dont expect 18 max sum pos either…you have some very good media better than mine…also i know kprobe varies from one drive to another. but the strategy is the best ive seen for g04s!

if you have good luck with this media then more power too you all…being in the us i get alot of alternatives;)

The GO4`s here in the UK do vary a lot but there seems to be a consistant “A” grade here
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ these are the Datasafe {DV 3081} Datasafe Ritek A Grade 4x DVD-R disc in packs of 25.
There is also a voting poll which puts them on top & Verbitam are in second place but the price does reflect in the poll. I use both media & they are hard to fault. I am using stock Firmware 1.06 tho.
Quest Solver

Originally posted by Jamos
not talking bout 03s i use the [bulkpaq]dvd+R pro[disc]04s…:wink:

jamos which country are u based in and where did u get these disks from?

im based in uk, bought bulkpaq prodisc R02 (not R04, like yourself) dvd+r media and they were the worst disks ive ever used!

Originally posted by Quest Solver
The GO4`s here in the UK do vary a lot but there seems to be a consistant “A” grade here
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ these are the Datasafe {DV 3081} Datasafe Ritek A Grade 4x DVD-R disc in packs of 25.
There is also a voting poll which puts them on top & Verbitam are in second place but the price does reflect in the poll. I use both media & they are hard to fault. I am using stock Firmware 1.06 tho.
Quest Solver

Same DATASAFE & supplier i use. I have bought 3x 25 packs over period and finding that the burns do vary from pack to pack. X8 burns no go for me.
I find these adequate - still looking for better media at similar price.

Originally posted by Quest Solver
Quest Solver

sorry they are 02s not 04s (got confused with riteks) and they are very good media from www.accaproducts.com
maybe like the riteks there are good and bad versions of these disks…but ive never had a problem from the above company and these disks in my benq or my nec.

media block

0000 : a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00  00 26 05 3f 00 00 00 00   .........&.?....
0010 : 00 00 01 50 52 4f 44 49  53 43 00 52 30 32 00 38   ...PRODISC.R02.8
0020 : 23 54 37 0f 02 54 6b 02  94 63 15 15 0b 0a 08 08   #T7..Tk..c......
0030 : 01 1c 1e 0b 0c 12 12 01  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................

maybe the R02.8 means the higher quality ones?